Tiny mushrooms growing around cannabis - Good or bad?

desiBud420

I found these tiny mushrooms in my soil (about half an inch below) that hadnt sprouted above soil yet. Let me explain as briefly as I can how I discovered these under my soil.

Photo_19-10-2015_5_59_10_pm.jpg
Photo_19-10-2015_5_44_57_pm.jpg

Upon waking today and checking my ladies (the first thing I do when waking and right before sleeping) I saw a Fungus Gnat sitting atop my Black Indica new leaves. I looked up some info I had to guide me, which was the following image that led me to go digging up my soil a bit to check compactness and wetness farther down below, where I find the mushrooms 1/2 inch down.

image33259.jpg

I also see my lower part of both plants drooping. they were doing that earlier yesterday, but not before. (I fully wattered 3 days ago with a pH balance from 7 to lower 6 pH with earlier plant problems). They hadnt received a full water for almost 10 days since the soil was taking too long to dry even then. Below Im trying to dry the soil manually by not to aggravate the root system, but my only hope is maybe to transplant them both into a 5 gallon in about a weeks time with a new soil mix ratio. CUrrently my ratios are: Dry manure (1 part), Soiless mix (1 part), spaghnum peat moss (2 parts), dolomite lime: Just a generous sprinkle but less than a fistful. heres them now, drooping at the lower parts, but OK at the top.. not sure if overwatering is coming into play or if they will recover next few days.

Black Indica
Photo_19-10-2015_5_59_48_pm.jpg

Crown Royale
Photo_19-10-2015_5_59_54_pm.jpg

While loosening up a bit of the top soil to see what was going on below, and it was still really damp and compact. Not good drainage at this stage with the stagnum peat moss I only have access to. I probably need a much higher ratio of spaghnum p.m to get better drainage, and less dry manure to avoid nute burn, which I had occur a few days ago. I fully watered both and had to adjust their ph to a lower value from pH 7 just 3 days back and saw improved growth and leaf color change from really dark to lighter.

So, about these shrooms::

1) Are mushrooms and fungus gnats interlinked, or am I making my own incorrect theories?
2) Are the mushrooms creating a harmful environment for my plants roots/soil area, or are they useful to my soil/plants?
3) How do I get rid of the mushrooms if they arent meant to be there? (I saw "Ndawgg27" mention the following in a 2010 post:

Fungicides are among the most toxic chemicals. Here are a few alternatives:
* Listerine - Mix 1 teaspoon of Listerine into 1 quart of warm water
* Hydrogen Peroxide - 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water
* 1/2 teaspoon baking Soda, 1/4 teaspoon cooking oil in 1 quart warm water
*All of the above recipes should be mixed directly into the sprayer and applied every 10 days or until there is no evidence of fungus.
*Cinnamon powder dusted directly onto damaged or cut areas prevent fungus on orchids.​

4) Has the recent soil pH adjustment 3 days ago to more acidic created an environment for the mushrooms to grow? (I cant think of any other things Ive changed or done differently to the soil. All else is same)
5) Should I just transplant my ladies to a new soil mix/composition with less dry manure if they are sprouting from that? (I thought to transplant them both into a 5 gallon with much more spaghnum p.m and lesser dry manure?)

Ok ive been doing some more digging around very carefull, and I found a BIG one. Now I cant imagine how fast mushrooms really grow with this variety, but this big one couldnt have grown in under 3 days. I think this has been going on already, but with stunted growth. After my pH balance watering they probably got the right environment to flourish and are now growing faster. Roach, what do you think?

Before I get hasty and implement the cleaning procedure as Ndawgg mentioned I would surely like more info from any experienced growers whove come across this bad boy

Photo_19-10-2015_8_18_33_pm.jpg
Photo_19-10-2015_8_18_40_pm.jpg

That's cool, but have you checked the pH your run off water? I have a feeling it's too low. Mushrooms flourish in fungal dominated soil.

That's cool, but have you checked the pH your run off water? I have a feeling it's too low. Mushrooms flourish in fungal dominated soil.

Hi iwltfum!

The last reading I got using pH strips was more on the lower pH 6 side I'm guessing. I'm awaiting a pH meter anxiously that will be here in another 1.5 months. Until then I have no choice for checking pH and will probably be in flowering cycle for these 2. I have a bubblegummer that a few weeks behind, she will be lucky enough to get better treatment when the pH meter arrives.

Do my pH strip test results help in detecting anything at your end? I'm sorry they're not exact, but please do sake I anything you are unsure about and I'll try my best to clear that for you.

Here's what I got while flushing and adding my lemon+Rain water+tap water mix. I added tap water because I felt the pH of Rain water and lemons was a bit strong as compared to some growers recommendations. I got the following results from my flushes and run-offs.

Photo_17-10-2015_5_23_46_pm.jpg

The manure, while dry, was still too fresh. Manure needs to be aged before using it. Thats why you have those mushrooms, but to be honest I dont think they will harm the plants, as fungi are saprophytes and feed by decomposing dead matter.
By the way, I swear I had made a comment in this thread already. Maybe I smoked too much!

It's hard to tell between 5 and 6 on those strips, but it could be closer to 5 from what I'm seeing in those pictures.

theres something up with my soil. the perfect conditions for these to grow. I dont think theyre shrooms. theyre viscid and icky to touch, their caps shrivle and turn dark, and I have yet to see and blueish/purple residue on injured stems/parts, which are some traits of shrooms. The viscid part is down, the other 2 arent.. so I think perhaps these arent what I thought they were. but now theyre growing like wildfire, should I leave them be or pick them off one-by-one, or just use a solution to kill them off from my soil? Im not sure if theyre taking away nutrients away from the roots.. Plants are currently in day 3 of LST.

Photo_24-10-2015_4_08_02_pm.jpg
Photo_24-10-2015_4_08_22_pm.jpg
Photo_24-10-2015_4_06_10_pm.jpg
Photo_24-10-2015_4_05_49_pm.jpg
Photo_24-10-2015_4_06_44_pm.jpg

You may wish to think twice before cutting them, you dont now if a young family of smurffs has settled down.
I think you will get rid of the shrooms if you remove the mulch layer for a few days!

I'll hold off the mulch and see what happens for while before I transplant into 5 gal's. =)

If I was you and needed damage control I would drill many many holes in the pot. Put a fan on it. Then let the soil get real dry before watering. Honestly I'm not sure it would work but it's where I would start. Sorry I can't give you better info but you're the only person I've ever seen pull a Mario sized mushroom out of their plant. Whatever happens please please keep us posted. This is how these problems develop solutions.

Def don't eat.

It means the soil you bought or acquired has mushroom spores in it. Some gardening products and providers have them more than8 others.

Mushrooms can at times help plants roots take in more water and nutrients. That plant may even have a mycorrhizael relationship with the mushroom.

Back
Top Bottom