Leaves turning purple halfway through bud cycle

Philtronics

Hello everyone, once again trying to figure what I'm doing wrong. Have a Super Lemon Haze plant about 3 feet in diameter, with stems trained to grow horizontally (more or less), pointing radially outward from the center. Should wind up with a footlocker full of bud, but not if the dang thing dies halfway through!

This time I'm using cheap, non-fertilized potting soil with plenty of perlite mixed in, and have been watering with Dyna Gro Foliage Pro at the "maintenance" level, i.e. 1/4 tsp per gallon. Also used 1/4 tsp of Pro Tekt per gallon. Started with very low ppm tap water, about 20ppm, noting that the pH was a bit high, at about 7.7. That's our local tap water - did not bother checking the pH of the mixed-up solution, just watered it every few days and made it through the Grow cycle with spectacular results.

Moved it into the other room, with this gigantic LED light set for 12/12, and switched to Dyna Gro Bloom formula, also at 1/4 tsp per gallon, and discontinued the Pro Tekt (based on something I read on the "internet").

After about 3 weeks things started to run amok. Below are some photos from the time.... by now it's a couple weeks later, and the large shade leaves are also turning brownish-purple, and I've been removing them when they seem too far gone. It's pretty weird - different than when leaves turn "yellow".

Without much to go on, the other day I stated watering with a mix of cal-mag, Pro Tekt, Foliage Pro, Bloom, 1/4 tsp each. The pH of this merry mix was 6.5, so I left it alone. I reckon it had been higher before, like around 7.0.

So far it doesn't seem to be getting any worse (noting that it's worse now than in the pictures), but it's not improving either.

Here's something that might matter - the temp gets up to about 80 during the day, but heads down to about 55 - 60 degrees overnight. Humidity seems fine. (Fyi I attempted a hydroponic grow in the same room, and the floor was soaking wet, as if there was a leak, but it was just condensation! The plants were dumping several gallons of water into this small room every day, and there was no ventilation. Everything got moldy and barely survived. It's nothing like that this time around.)

Would welcome any thoughts as to what could be going on. Not even sure it's really a bad thing, except I hate to start losing too many leaves!
IMAG006427.jpg
IMAG0047_1_.jpg

Very interesting - I found this picture of a phosphorus deficiency - some of the lower leaves are looking exactly like this. Will try turning up the Dyna Gro Bloom, which has a lot of P. Will advise...
weed-posphorous-deficiency.jpg

And... here's one of those "shade leaves" mentioned above. Does it match the picture of the Phosphorous deficiency, sort of?
IMAG007624.jpg

My latest "thoughts" -

There should be plenty of Phosphorus, watering each time with Dyna Gro Bloom at 1/4 tsp per gallon - the so-called "maintenance" level, and the past couple of waterings I kicked it up to 1/2 tsp. Ph of the solution was around 6.4. So, maybe phosphorous is not the issue.

My leaves look a bit different than that picture I found on the web, of a P deficiency. More brownish-black than purple.

The leaves around the perimeter of the plant are just fine - the ones in the center, directly under the light, are getting hammered.

This is an insanely bright LED lamp (impulse buy on Ebay), rated at 1600W, including a switch to kick on a bunch of red LEDs for flowering.

Noting that plants have done just fine under this light in grow cycle, without the extra red LEDs (and they also had some issues in bud cycle, with the red LEDs turned on), I think the red light might be sending it over the edge. Is this possible? Somehow it's messing with the chlorophyll (as if I actually knew the chemistry involved) - or something. Think I'll try just turning off the red LEDs and see if things improve, or stop getting worse.

Eventually I might just try a normal metal halide lamp with a fairly low color temp. As usual, none of these theories makes complete sense.. If anybody has any comments or suggestions, please chime in!

I am also having the same looking leaves coming in, its weird to me even though im a first time grower
Theyre 4 weeks into flower, cfls, organic soil, using tap water 75°f 40%rh is pretty consistant, at around the same time mine started changing all my leaves went light green, growth stopped

So id also like to know whats goin on, watered today with cal mag so ill keep updated on this if anything changes

your only as free as you think you are

I am also having the same looking leaves coming in, its weird to me even though im a first time grower
Theyre 4 weeks into flower, cfls, organic soil, using tap water 75°f 40%rh is pretty consistant, at around the same time mine started changing all my leaves went light green, growth stopped

So id also like to know whats goin on, watered today with cal mag so ill keep updated on this if anything changes

This is strange. I have exactly the same problem. I'm 6 weeks into flower with my first grow, the problems appeared about 1 week ago. My leaves started turning purple / red from the tips, and some other leaves became slightly yellow. I feel like the growth kinda stopped, they don't really bulk up. They seem to get a bit more frosty, but they still aren't what I'd call "buds" yet, and don't seem to change, too. I couldn't find a fix for this yet. Day temperatures are 24-27°C, night temperatures 15-18°C. RH is at 50% night, and 30% at day. Using a 400W HPS, normal soil, and BioBizz nutes. My plant NEVER actually had any nutrient problems & looked healthy as fuck, it was just extremely root bound once.

I don't know what to do. There seem to be many people with this problem right now, which is strange.

This is strange. I have exactly the same problem. I'm 6 weeks into flower with my first grow, the problems appeared about 1 week ago. My leaves started turning purple / red from the tips, and some other leaves became slightly yellow. I feel like the growth kinda stopped, they don't really bulk up. They seem to get a bit more frosty, but they still aren't what I'd call "buds" yet, and don't seem to change, too. I couldn't find a fix for this yet. Day temperatures are 24-27°C, night temperatures 15-18°C. RH is at 50% night, and 30% at day. Using a 400W HPS, normal soil, and BioBizz nutes. My plant NEVER actually had any nutrient problems & looked healthy as fuck, it was just extremely root bound once.

I don't know what to do. There seem to be many people with this problem right now, which is strange.
This is actually the only time ive seen a topic on this so far, been tryin to figure this out since week 2, its rather irritating, i took one outta flower and changed the soil in the other (drainage coulda been better but not enough soil on hand to change both) the one i left under 24 hr light cycle hasnt changed since, lime green leaves no growth, however, the one i changed the soil in turned around all went back to a lush green and bud growth continued till a few days ago it started doing it again, its growth has stopped, purple brown on lime green leaves came back and am scrambling to not lose all my first grow to this..

Rather irritating, watered with cal mag today in distilled water let alot of runoff go through, drainage is good, we will see what happens, my strain is blackberry kush btw, ive got purple stems and shoots, good roots, no rot just brown stained from the soil not stinky.. just trying to throw as much info out as i can so we can use as reference to help narrow this issue down

Best of luck to ya

Hoping to post a pic soon, just started this account so i dunno if theres a certain amount of posts i gotta do till i can post a pic

I really hope to fix this so i can keep it from happening on my second grow.. waiting to be able to post some pics still

Hey guys, thanks for chiming in. I don't think Cal Mag is really the answer... that seems to cure a different type of leaf problem, with speckled dead spots. It worked great in my hydro system.

This is another issue, with a large (trained) single Super Lemon Haze plant growing in dirt. The "budding" room is unheated, with two walls on the outside perimeter. It's been really cold outside for the past few weeks (in the low 30s, high 20s). I checked this morning at about 4am, and the grow room was down to about 50 degrees. During the day it gets up to about 75 - 80. I got an antique dehumidifier on Craigslist, and that warms it up too.

Latest theory - I'm thinking the purple leaf thing is caused by the cold temps at night. What else could it be? I'm sure it's getting plenty of nutrients (trying not to overdo it) and the pH should be just fine (watering with approximately 6.3 pH weak Dyna Gro Bloom solution).

I should also mention, my friend who's been growing large quantities of excellent weed for over 20 years took a look, and he said the discoloration wasn't a problem, and the plants were doing great! He predicted they'd be ready to harvest in about another 2 weeks. He said above all you don't want to harvest them too early. It's time to hurry up and wait!

P.S. Just noticed an error in Paragraph 2 of my initial post, where I mentioned Dyna Gro Foliage Pro. Actually it was the Bloom Formula. Strange I wasn't able to edit the post, but now you know.

Hey guys, thanks for chiming in. I don't think Cal Mag is really the answer... that seems to cure a different type of leaf problem, with speckled dead spots. It worked great in my hydro system.

This is another issue, with a large (trained) single Super Lemon Haze plant growing in dirt. The "budding" room is unheated, with two walls on the outside perimeter. It's been really cold outside for the past few weeks (in the low 30s, high 20s). I checked this morning at about 4am, and the grow room was down to about 50 degrees. During the day it gets up to about 75 - 80. I got an antique dehumidifier on Craigslist, and that warms it up too.

Latest theory - I'm thinking the purple leaf thing is caused by the cold temps at night. What else could it be? I'm sure it's getting plenty of nutrients (trying not to overdo it) and the pH should be just fine (watering with approximately 6.3 pH) weak Dyna Gro Bloom solution.

I should also mention, my friend who's been growing large quantities of excellent weed for over 20 years took a look, and he said the discoloration wasn't a problem, and the plants were doing great! He predicted they'd be ready to harvest in about another 2 weeks. He said above all you don't want to harvest them too early. It's time to hurry up and wait!
My coldest my space has gotten so far is 68F so i dont think its cause its gettin chilly also dont think its normal fpr all growth to stop and turn lime green.. ive read some strains will show these colors towards the end of flower and night temps do play a role in it...
Been lost since week 2, its now week 5, really need an answer, hoping for a guru to pop in here

I don't think there's a minimum amount of posts required - it worked for me, but first you need to upload pictures to the "gallery". Once there, it's easy to get them to show up in a post. Good luck!

I havent seen a pic of a P def that resembles the striping im getting, the pics ive seen shows redish leaf stems, necrotic spots and splotches and not every leaf turns lime green at once like i got, old growth and new growth, lower mid and upper sections have all stopped growing and turned lime green, growrh stops a couple days before the lightening of the leaves sets in along with the purple stripes between the viens, the striping is happening only near the main buds

I know i kinda just plopped in here so not tryin to hijack, ive asked around and havent gotten any good info on whats goin on..
Part of me thinks that certain strains may get striping similar towards end of flower because the plant thinks its dying so maybe the striping is set on because of a said deficiency and not related to said deficiency, follow me?
Thanks

Just following up... 9 weeks now, and they're doing great! They're not quite ready yet. Trichomes are still clear-to-milky. Still getting tiny bits of new growth on the buds, with white pistles. Leaves looked so bad you'd swear they'd die and fall off, but they're not. I've been keeping it warm at night, mid-60s minimum. Pretty sure that cold overnight temps (down to maybe 45 - 50 degres) was the cause of the purpleness. Just one strange thing... virtually no smell.
IMAG013923.jpg
IMAG013827.jpg
IMAG013623.jpg
IMAG013321.jpg

Well, you update, so do I - I'm in week 9 now, too. Maybe 1 week left, then she's going to get cut into tiny and huge pieces. The sugar leaves somehow turned crispy, but they aren't dead. They're green & slightly red, alive, but crispy. Strange, but she's surviving & smelling freaking disgusting. Fuely, musky, just nasty. It's a good sign.
qCrjrbl.jpg
jwLf7CR.jpg
HoeAmdM.jpg

Lookin' good! Probably better than mine. Here's a weird one - heading into the 10th week, and I'm noticing some "new growth" on my buds. It shows up in the picture as bright green dots with white hairs. WTF is going on, and should I wait for the new stuff to mature before chopping?
IMAG014122.jpg

Be sure she isn't growing any male parts. Otherwise, she might be foxtailing now, because there's either no more space (really good sign), or it's too hot in there. Check temperature, check for nanners or any male signs, and if everything's alright, she's near her end really soon. In a good way.

So I noticed a couple of yellow flowers! Oh No!! Surgically removed them with tweezers. Tomorrow will be a full 10 weeks. Trichomes are still white, with a few clear. Should I let it go a while longer, or should I harvest immediately? Danged hard to photograph, but here it is:
IMAG015518.jpg

Just following up... the purple-ing didn't seem to hurt anything, in fact it might have helped! Came out really stoney, virtually narcotic. A clear cut above what my buddy used to produce en-masse, but it's the same exact strain. Maybe it's because it went a full 10 weeks, but he used chop his at 8 weeks. Supposedly it's genuine Super Lemon Haze (if you believe someone who's really stoned). Hung up and dried in a really cold room for about 5 days, trimmed, and the humidity was just right for burning. Very smooth smoke. Looks like about 6 - 7 ounces from the one large horizontal-trained plant. We're going to weigh it with a real scale asap (before too much goes up in smoke) and store in mason jars.
IMAG017917.jpg

IMAG017522.jpg

Back
Top Bottom