1st time grower

Jamesnns

I started this by chance. I got some seeds (10) and thought Id give it a try. I did some reading and dove in with 5 seeds.
The seeds are unknown but come from a reliable source and are good. Names mentioned were AK47, Bubilisious (sp) and a few others, but what they are specifically when I got them isnt known.
Im not terribly concerned about what happen with this bunch as Im just learning....so..mistakes will happen.

I germinated as directed here, and that worked well. Then I put them in a cupcake tin filled with Miracle Grow and let them sit. The tin was all I had..I regret that decision now.
I lined some shelving I had in my utility room with foil (I will replace with a better material soon) I used some CFL lights I had with a reflector.
Atm, I have 3 sprouts. Each one came up 1 day apart from each other. I think they look good. I can see now that I have some stretching so today, day 3, I lowered my lights to two inches..they were at 5 inches. The stretching worries me.
The bulbs are 1650 lumens each, and 1 2300 lumens. I have a set of 3 reflectors, each holds two bulbs. I have a small fan in the corner. Im running a 18/6 schedule using a timer. The top of the self, and the sides, are covered in cardboard lined with foil. The top flips up and down.
The shelf is about 3.5 feetx2 feet. I kinda plan on using the top shelf for veg/flowering, and then the shelf below it for sprouting. The top of the top shelf removes for clearance and I can use a curtain rod to support lighting fixtures ect.
I think I plane on transplanting these to my larger planters at about 10 day old.

I TRIED to upload images.
Im getting
Sever IO error.
?
Help on the images so you guys can see what Im doing?

2wc1a28.jpg

2rhu4n8.jpg

2112yp5.jpg

There we go...
2nia15i.jpg

3 days growth. The taller one is about 2.5 inches tall

Im so sorry about this...it says "Personal Albums not enabled"

Hi Jamesnns,

The Personal Albums have been disabled for quite some time now. I was able to upload your photos without any issues. Please let us know if you have any further problems uploading/posting your photos to 420 Magazine.

Greenest Regards,
David Bowman

Hi Jamesnns,

The Personal Albums have been disabled for quite some time now. I was able to upload your photos without any issues. Please let us know if you have any further problems uploading/posting your photos to 420 Magazine.

Greenest Regards,
David Bowman

I can upload from my other computer, so I will use that one for the tasks of images.

How long before I can transplant into the larger pots? I should have not used the cupcake tins as they dont have any drainage holes in the bottom and Im afraid of too much moisture and they arent deep enough.

Yeah the cupcake tins are very limited. I would transplant them very carefully. If you cut each piece of plastic wrap carefully around the plant you can use it to cradle the soil for transplant. The easiest thing would be 16oz cups. Plop the whole thing in after filling the cup up most of the way( cut 4 drainage holes with scissors on the bottom of the cup) then pull the plastic wrap out from underneath. Then soak all of the cups with plenty of water(let them sit in 2/3 height water in a tub and pour some water over the top).

After soaking let them drain by holding them at a slight angle. Then they will be good for several days. Wait till the cups become light before watering again and use the soak method.

Update. Nobody replied but I did see views....
I went ahead and re-potted the tall sprouts and changed the lights from two angled bulbs to one bulb each and straight above the top leaves.
What an amazing difference that made. I saw some new growth in just 3 hours and then this am...WOW. They've grown 1/3 bigger and all have new leaves coming out.

Cool beans
i started a diff thread...

jamesnns, re your IO error message...how did you correct it? a friend is having issues uploading to 420mag..has a new used camera..is able to upload to computer, just not to 420. TYIA

Im using my other computer upstairs to upload photos. My main comp still wont do it. Im on WnXP and I think its a Flash script error.

lets get this watering thing fixed straightaway. A little water is not the correct way to water. When you water, soak that soil. Water slowly trying to get the soil to absorb the maximum amount of water it can hold, like a sponge.

after you have done this, you then need to wait for the plant to USE all of that water, all the way down to the bottom. Your goal is to wait to water until just before the point that they would wilt, and your container will have absolutely NO water weight at all. It will feel feather light. The soil will seem to be sahara desert dry... mummy's breath dry... and still your plant will be thriving. Do a search for the "lift method." This is the best way to determine when to water again. Your knuckles in the soil at the top will not tell you what you need to know. Your eyes will not tell you what you need to know.

This is what weeds want... they do not thrive with too much love. The most common mistake that new growers of weeds make is to water too often. The second biggest mistake new growers of weeds make is to over feed. Your plants will not needs nutes for a long time... resist the urge. Your leaves are already showing me that there has been too much water in the system. Back away a bit... it really is important.

Thanks Emilya....
I was getting confused about the watering. Since they have been growing really fast i thought I had been doing it right. Ill follow your advice..tyvm

plant_3_6_days_old.JPG

This is plant #3. Much smaller and has a much thinner stem. Its 2 day behind #1 since sprouting.

plant_2_7_days_old.JPG

This is plant 2. One day behond #1 since sprouting.

Each plant sprouted one day behiond the other.

I think thy look OK. You ?

Back
Top Bottom