Dying clones - What's killing them?

desiBud420

I've been working on some clones that were successful 2 months ago. I've gone ahead and tried to make clones of the clone. All my attempts have failed and I cant seem to understand why. I've done everything as I did with the first clones I ever made, and there seems to be something I cannot detect that is eating away/killing my plants from the INSIDE.

This first pic is how I had successful results inside yogurt pots (holes at bottom and few at sides near bottom for good drainage and air circulation). The top part is a ziplock ive taped and sealed airtight so all I really have to do is open the ziplock, spray under the leaves, 1 quick spray of moisture right before I close the ziplock and let them continue with an 18/6 cycle along with my other plants in Veg at the moment. I spray under leave once for lights on, and once before lights off.
I recall leaving initially leaving the successful clones in the dark for 2 days for roots to get active as some posts suggested, which worked fine, but lately i have not left them unattended day or night due to the browning effect speeding up in the 2 days dark period once cloned and set into soil with rooting gel/powder.

I keep an eye out for this browning/mushy syndrome that occurs at the cut leaf tips, youngest leaves, and even internal of stems.
Photo_26-03-2016_1_11_52_pm.jpg

As you can see the browning/mushy part that occurs. I have no idea what or where its coming from, but ive deduced its from my soilmix. I used clone soil that failed, and having baked it for ashort period to kill anything in there that might have been left undetected, I used the soil after athorough dry and areation indoors.
Photo_06-04-2016_8_01_10_pm.jpg
Photo_06-04-2016_8_00_54_pm.jpg

I must confess, this problem went unnoticed through first 7 clones. I used an old 2B pencil for ones of my clones to give it support as it was lanking over. I discovered that the pencil odor/presence kept the browning/mushyness at bay with this clone and subsequent ones I tried with pencil support, but only delayed the overall clones demise from browning and softening.
Eventually the ziplock smelt of mould when opened to spray, and something like half-day-old-milk left outside. I suspected a bacteria/mould of sorts, but I thought why since Ive baked the soil at 180'C for 10 mins that shouldnt be causing this. Then I tried another method without ziplocks under a plastic jar (base cut off, lid left on). I would spray the clone as normal, water, and then give the jar a good spray and quickly cover the clone to reserve as much moisture before it leaked out from around the loose bottom edges. EVEN THEN the clones died, and had that slight spoilt milk smell around the inside of the plastic jar (im thinking plastics are NOT a good medium to use, I cant find anything like a humidity dome here, but I dont think that would help my problem, I feel its soil related).

Baffled still, Ive come to NOT fully watering my yogurt pots right after planting. Just a gentle top-soil spray and a bit more around the stem area so soil tightens up and the clone doesnt move around in loose soil irritaing the roots not to grow. So far so good, not even using a wooden pencil (except one clone), but I would like to pick someones brain into what the browning/mushy effect was (bacteria/mould) where it was coming from (i suspect my soil and lack of ventilation for clone/bacteria to chill out).

For those wondering what went on under the soil-hood for the ONLY clone that rooted but died in 9 days (under ziplock conditions), here it is. Im still baffled at whats killing my clones. Im behind on starting flowering for the BIG momma clone I'm snipping cuttings off of, and I sure would like a successful 2 clones before i switch light cycles.

PS - This isnt the only plant my clones have died from. Ive also attempted Bubblegummer clonings, those all died as well. Same symptoms.

Photo_28-03-2016_10_35_19_pm.jpg
Photo_28-03-2016_10_34_49_pm.jpg

Re: Dying clones. What's killing them??!

The problem is the bags over the top.
We kill weeds in our yard by putting plastic down over them.
The clones need to transpire slowly but those bags are not letting enough air around them to stop mold.

Your problem is Damping off disease, too much humidity and not enough air circulation causes fungi growths, check here:.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=151 for more info but the copper fungicides are now banned but if you research it you can find the proportions to make your own damping off solution to pre treat the soil and prevent this happening, basically tho, the conditions are too wet and not enough air movement causes this.

Red.

The problem is the bags over the top.
We kill weeds in our yard by putting plastic down over them.
The clones need to transpire slowly but those bags are not letting enough air around them to stop mold.

Beats me how my first clones that are huge ow, survived. Perhaps it was coler in nov/dec here and kept mould/bacteria at bay. I got some great cider made in those temps though ;)

I'll poke some holes and aerate them more often. Weather has gotten warmer in the day and night generally, so fingers crossed.

Thank you!!

Your problem is Damping off disease, too much humidity and not enough air circulation causes fungi growths, check here:.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=151 for more info but the copper fungicides are now banned but if you research it you can find the proportions to make your own damping off solution to pre treat the soil and prevent this happening, basically tho, the conditions are too wet and not enough air movement causes this.

Red.

Hi Red!

Im gonna try poking a few holes and see how that goes. 2 thumbs up for the links, that should set me in the right direction.

One quick question, my initial clones i competely watered the yogurt pots, and covered with ziplocks. Now im just spraying/misting over top soil for 2-3 days until i water it once over. Perhaps I can avoid the dampness and carefully mist things more and more towards a damper soil, considering the change in weather here. On average its 22'C inside, and a good 30'c outside when sunny. Its only going to get hotter here.

Your plants need air circulation bud, take the bags off completely and don't over water them, mist them if you think they are evaporating too much water out but be sure that is what's happening before you make them even more wetter OK?

Soil only needs to be slightly damp, stick your finger in the soil an inch and if you feel its damp it OK.
Watch your plants leaf branches wilt, then check for damp soil, if it's dry, water it, if it's still damp, don't water.

Plants prefer to be watered from below if you can, just dunk them in a tray of water until the soil surface becomes damp then remove from the water ;)

Newbies often over water because they feel they want to do all they can to care for them but its basically a weed man! lol it will grow in harsh conditions without your help and too much help might kill it! lol
Chill and really "watch" your plant, she will tell you when she needs a drink by wilting, she will tell you when she needs food or you have fed her too much by curling up the edges of her leaves, she is alive! listen to what she is telling you.
I hope you get that I'm not having a go at you bud, when you understand these plants, they will grow brilliantly for you, happy growing bud ;)

Red.

Your plants need air circulation bud, take the bags off completely and don't over water them, mist them if you think they are evaporating too much water out but be sure that is what's happening before you make them even more wetter OK?
soil only needs to be slightly damp, stick your finger in the soil an inch and if you feel its damp it OK.
Watch your plants leaf branches wilt, then check for damp soil, if it's dry, water it, if it's still damp, don't water.
Newbies often over water because they feel they want to do all they can to care for them but its basically a weed man! lol it will grow in harsh conditions without your help and too much help might kill it! lol
Chill and really "watch" your plant, she will tell you when she needs a drink by wilting, she will tell you when she needs food or you have fed her too much by curling up the edges of her leaves, she is alive! listen to what she is telling you.
I hope you get that I'm not having a go at you bud, when you understand these plants, they will grow brilliantly for you, happy growing bud ;)

Red.

Fantastic. Ive lost sight of overwatering dangers having been stuck in veg/flowering for 5 months.

Cheers and thank a heap Red! You have yourself a great weekend!

I was going to say the same thing. I'd get those bags off completely. My worst cloning efforts have been with a humidity dome. I know a lot of people use them, but I don't find them necessary or even beneficial. My clone game is not very good, but some of that is because of exactly the same sort of thing you ran into.

I was going to say the same thing. I'd get those bags off completely. My worst cloning efforts have been with a humidity dome. I know a lot of people use them, but I don't find them necessary or even beneficial. My clone game is not very good, but some of that is because of exactly the same sort of thing you ran into.

CHeers everyone. This has been most enlightening and helpful. I'll rid of the ziplocks bags altogether after day 2 of cloning.

Stay blessed and be safe.

I agree with everyone on getting those bags off them. Your clones are rotting from too much moisture and little to no air flow.
I was taught to use the humidity domes and bags on my clones during my first ever grow, and I had nothing but wilting and dying problems. To top it off I was keeping the soil soaked and there was no cause for roots to reach down and spread out to look for moisture, which builds a healthy root system. The roots were just sitting in mud, rotting.
Dump the bags/domes and reduce the watering.

:circle-of-love:

I agree with everyone on getting those bags off them. Your clones are rotting from too much moisture and little to no air flow.
I was taught to use the humidity domes and bags on my clones during my first ever grow, and I had nothing but wilting and dying problems. To top it off I was keeping the soil soaked and there was no cause for roots to reach down and spread out to look for moisture, which builds a healthy root system. The roots were just sitting in mud, rotting.
Dump the bags/domes and reduce the watering.

:circle-of-love:

Hi Cannafan!

This info is exactly what ive been doing for the last 6 months and have lost 10 clones to it, with 3 successes only (3 out of 13). Even the wild ones growing around here I tried to clone some really healthy ones (except one thats been successful by pure chance. A seed I chucked out ages ago in the dirt that wasnt germinating from the pollinated batches growing wildly here. Few days later i happened to walk by the waste-dirt and there it was, growing in all its resilience! So I took it inside and its in flowering week 2 right now)

Thanks again folks! Its time to bath the massive BG mini-tree in my room and transplant the other smallest clones to 5 gal's. Im sure theyve gotten a bit rootbound from waiting on me to clear some larger pots to transplant, but better late than never. =D

Hi Cannafan!

This info is exactly what ive been doing for the last 6 months and have lost 10 clones to it, with 3 successes only (3 out of 13). Even the wild ones growing around here I tried to clone some really healthy ones (except one thats been successful by pure chance. A seed I chucked out ages ago in the dirt that wasnt germinating from the pollinated batches growing wildly here. Few days later i happened to walk by the waste-dirt and there it was, growing in all its resilience! So I took it inside and its in flowering week 2 right now)

Thanks again folks! Its time to bath the massive BG mini-tree in my room and transplant the other smallest clones to 5 gal's. Im sure theyve gotten a bit rootbound from waiting on me to clear some larger pots to transplant, but better late than never. =D

ROFL!
I had to take my grow down a couple years ago for security issues. I dumped some of the soil from pots in the woods. The following spring I happened into that area of the woods and found several MJ seedlings growing up from the leaves. Apparently there were a few seeds in the soil after I ripped the plants out of it.
I let them grow outside after transplanting to a different area.
Hope your future cloning has a better success rate now!

:thumb:

You should get a journal going! :)

Back
Top Bottom