Yellowing plant and drying up

420aquaponics

Hey guys first time grower here and I'm trying aquaponics. I'm using

420-magazine-mobile232412668.jpg

I have been keeping the dead parts trimmed off. But it's over 4 weeks old, I'm having extremely slow growth but it shot up in the first week. I feed with API CO2 booster and fox farms tiger bloom. And some jobes organics for media prep.

Lights are 23w cfl. Water pH is around 7.4 or higher. I've been struggling to bring it down to ~7 without luck. I do a 20% water change once a week.

I'm new at this and know nothing on hydro. Pretty sure the Tiger Bloom is for later in life, as in once you have Flowers in Flower stage, so the N P K isn't right at all for early on in Veg stage. PH seems high for soil even, and soil more forgiving. And I'm not familiar with CFL at all and Hydro type mediums, so maybe someone else will chime in and help steer you right way.

Im also not a hydro kind of guy, but i have used Fox Farms soil and nutrients and Tiger Bloom is for flowering... so i'd immediately suggest to stop feeding with it for right now.

Other than that, i'm kind of helpless when it comes to hydro issues. If i were you, i'd Take a look at this forum and answer the Handful of questions and copy + Paste in here so we can help you more accurately! -- How to Ask for Grow Support

Good Luck!

Thank you canniculture

What Strain is it? Don't know
How Many Plants ? - 2
Is it in Vegetative or Flower -veg
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 4 weeks
Indoor
Hydro /aquaponics
Reservoir size 35 gal
Reservoir Temperature 78°
what type of Medium? Pee gravel
what type of Setup? Aquaponics with bell siphon
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? - 2 23W CFL per plant
Is it Air cooled? - No
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? - 78°
RH of Room/Cabinet? - 35-60%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? - 7.4 or greater
Any Pests? - no
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Tiger bloom and API CO2 booster
Size or Square Footage of Room? 6x8x8.

Sent from my SM-N910V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Odd. My understanding is FF TB is quite acidic. I'd think it would pull neutral water down to the correct PH (or even lower). Regardless, it is not a good choice for seedlings. I'd also get rid of that CO2 booster.

Really? Okay. And the water I'm working with is high to start.

How high is the water's PH? Do you know how hard it is (how many PPM)?
What have you been using to lower the PH and what are you using to measure it?
IDK anything about the CO2 booster but it sounds bad: made "for aquariums and aquatic plants", it is 98.4% water and 1.6% glutaraldehyde which is an oily liquid used as a sterilization agent and preservative in low concentrations. In higher concentrations it is used like formaldehyde and higher than that, it is a wart remover. Dunno. I don't do hydro but I wouldn't let it near my plants.

How high is the water's PH? Do you know how hard it is (how many PPM)?
What have you been using to lower the PH and what are you using to measure it?
IDK anything about the CO2 booster but it sounds bad: made "for aquariums and aquatic plants", it is 98.4% water and 1.6% glutaraldehyde which is an oily liquid used as a sterilization agent and preservative in low concentrations. In higher concentrations it is used like formaldehyde and higher than that, it is a wart remover. Dunno. I don't do hydro but I wouldn't let it near my plants.
The water I'm using is over 7.6 to start. I'm using an aquarium test kit because aquaponics has live fish. So I have a aquarium for my hydroponics system more or less. I don't know how many ppm or how hard it is, but every 6 mouths I get test results in the mail. So I'll know then. Till then the only info I have about the water is its high in ph.
My method to lower the pH has been to put drift wood in the fish tank to act as a bio filter, lots of aquariums use thus method. However I'm not having good results.

Also major PITA, thank you for the insight on the co2 booster. I'm stopping that right now.

Maybe Rifleman or one of the other hydro growers can be of more help. Since you are doing aquaponics I'm really out of my element. For example, I've never heard of using driftwood to lower PH. I can see it as some sort of biofilter, but I don't see it making a difference in PH quick enough to ever be of use when watering/feeding plants.

My recommendation, if you are new to growing, is separate the two endeavors. Have your aquaponics. Grow your cannabis (probably using hydro in your case). Once you have both working well, then try to combine them once again. You'll have a much better feel for what your herb crop likes/needs.

-edit-
BTW, I very much doubt the problems you are seeing with the plant in the photo is due to a water PH of 7.6. It isn't the ideal for growing, but you could grow healthy cannabis with it. I believe there are other issues, or the PH is off more than that.

My PH tester is limited to 7.6 so it's possible that it's much higher. And thank you for that advice I've been considering doing exactly that... haha :)

I'm as far out of my element as Major once you threw in the fish. :) Best advice I can give on growing in hydro is use a good pH buffered nutrient and never even check or worry about pH again. It changed the game for me. Drop on by The Roost and have look, I think you'll like how easy it can be.

Aquaponics is not hydroponics. 5.8 will probably kill his fish. Aquaponics runs best between 6.4-6.8pH

Back
Top Bottom