Temperatures

Jarimuana

So.. Temperatures are a pain. Wondered what set ups and tricks people use to control their temps. Especially those of us using HIDs temps can easily break 30C and without proper ventilation and air circulation it can reach 50C

I run a 4X4X8 Tent. I have a 5" air-cooled hood but using a 4" RVK inline. I made a fitting for my 4" Ducting so it fits air tight in the hood. My ducting loses between 15-20% efficiency due to its bending.

420-magazine-mobile1336911946.jpg

420-magazine-mobile748042330.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1241847207.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1614070504.jpg

The reason for this thread is because I'm struggling to maintain decent temps unless the light is excessively far away.
420-magazine-mobile1643912262.jpg

That far away.. 39 inches at 600watts

The room temperature before entering the tent is usually around 19C-20C

The average temperature at canopy level is around 23C-24C with both 6" oscillating fans on. On a good day I can have the 600w MH 30" away before breaking in to 25C. This isn't too bad but it's a stealth grow in a shared house so if the other tenants heat the house to much I could come home to 30C so I try to stay on the cooler side of 20. In order to have my lamp at 18" the room temp outside the tent would have to be 14C and we can't have chilly air blasting on the plants now can we.any suggestions or methods are kindly appreciated.

Stealth is the name of the game here folks. Let the good times grow!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

In my tent i have the my hid cooled all on its own and the tent cooled and scrubbed separate

So how i did this was put a 6 in duct fan on one side of my hood and put the other end of the fan out the slot to the right then i put the other end of my hood out the flap on the other side

Air is pulled from outside my tent past the bulb and out the other end in a straight line

My carbon scrubber and inline fan sit together above my hood in the tent pulling air and pushing it straight out the top

I keep some clip fans over the canopy.

I also have a 4 in duct fan actively pulling air in the bottom of the tent.

I close the heat vent in my bedroom and open crack a window.
Outside my tent is about 70°f
Inside between 75°f-82°f
Lights out is during the day but only for 4 hours and temp is 65°f-70°f.

I dont move my light.

If i wanted to...
id just add ducting to one end of the hood and on the other end id add the ducting at the end of my duct fan
Id lose some efficiency with the ducting so id turn my inline up a smidge on my fan speed controller to balance it back out

This is how i do it.

Hope that helps you in some way...

In my tent i have the my hid cooled all on its own and the tent cooled and scrubbed separate

So how i did this was put a 6 in duct fan on one side of my hood and put the other end of the fan out the slot to the right then i put the other end of my hood out the flap on the other side

Air is pulled from outside my tent past the bulb and out the other end in a straight line

My carbon scrubber and inline fan sit together above my hood in the tent pulling air and pushing it straight out the top

I keep some clip fans over the canopy.

I also have a 4 in duct fan actively pulling air in the bottom of the tent.

I close the heat vent in my bedroom and open crack a window.
Outside my tent is about 70°f
Inside between 75°f-82°f
Lights out is during the day but only for 4 hours and temp is 65°f-70°f.

I dont move my light.

If i wanted to...
id just add ducting to one end of the hood and on the other end id add the ducting at the end of my duct fan
Id lose some efficiency with the ducting so id turn my inline up a smidge on my fan speed controller to balance it back out

This is how i do it.

Hope that helps you in some way...

I'm considering leaving the 4" to my air cooled hood but putting a new price of ducting from the hoods intake to the port opposite it. So like you I will be pulling room air through the bulb and straight out the tent instead of the tent air. I'll pick up another 4inch fan to do the tents extraction. That can go at the top right port. That should do it right? Any thoughts?

That should work i would think.

It makes it easier for me to have them cooled separately.

Just make sure when you flower that if your hood isnt completely sealed you seal it.
Otherwise you could have some air thats not scrubbed make its way out of the tent...

I lower my home temp so it has cooler air to vent in, and then vent the warm air out into another room of the house that I'm using. Once outside temps get above 65F and stay there, I quit growing with the hps and use the led only.
What's the coldest I can vent in to tent? I'd have thought no colder than 18C ? Good to see you Rifleman!

What's the coldest I can vent in to tent? I'd have thought no colder than 18C ? Good to see you Rifleman!

I've seen people use air conditioners to cool their grows.

Don't want it going below 16 c any lower may stunt growth that is when the lights are off tho !

I use my passive vents for intake average temp is 20 c in the house & that being my base line temp for lights off as well with the exhaust fan pulling fresh air through the vents & vented up the chimney.

It is about the air temperature & how effective it is for cooling.

Oh btw a tent that size would normally require a 6 inch exhaust fan to get suitable air flow exchange.

Don't want it going below 16 c any lower may stunt growth that is when the lights are off tho !

I use my passive vents for intake average temp is 20 c in the house & that being my base line temp for lights off as well with the exhaust fan pulling fresh air through the vents & vented up the chimney.

It is about the air temperature & how effective it is for cooling.

Oh btw a tent that size would normally require a 6 inch exhaust fan to get suitable air flow exchange.
Hi great reply very helpful!

I'm using a 1m X 1m X 2m tent. The 4inch RVK pulls 184 cubic meters an hour. That's 3.06 cubic meters a minute (108 cubic feet per minute)
The tent is 2 cubic meters(70 cubic feet) doesn't that mean I completely pull and replace the entire tents air 1.5 times every minute (3 times every 2 minutes in case I'm not being very clear)

Is that no adequate? I was thinking of getting a 5" as that would be a perfect fit for the air cooled hood I have.

I keep my room temps at an average of 20C and that's been fine for me. So if I switch to flower in a week as planned by temps will be okay at night?

I plan on putting the oscillating fans and the lamp on the same timer so when lamp is off the fans turn off too. Should I put the intake on the same timer too or keep the intake running all night like you do? I previously thought that the intake would cool the tent below my happy 18C-20C meaning I would need a heater on in the room at night where's if my room temps are an average of 20C anyway then if I turn all fans off at night then I wouldn't have to worry about heating the room between the dark hours?
It's my belief that plants don't photosynthesise during the dark so a fresh supply of air wouldn't be necessary? Could be wring. Thanks for the love Fuzzy!

Here are the girls now. Less than a week from flower!
420-magazine-mobile881174705.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/mobile-gallery/420-magazine-mobile1633750533.jpg[/IMG

Peace

Ah for some crazy reason i thought ya had 120 cm by 120 cm by 200 cm tent ?

Ok i see you have done the maths on air flow the 4 inch RVK is a little under for the tent ? well you can get away with that just about with a bear basic set up, the only thing i would think twice about is the lack of negative pressure which helps contains odour leaks.

A 5 inch exhaust would be a better option tho.

If ya not worried about smell ? well stealth what is the point plus minus the carbon filter the odour gonna go straight up that chimney my ol china, hopefully not a very smelly strain ?

So all this may lead to thinking about tent set up again or how to get favourable conditions !

600 w MH ah pretty juicy on the electric bill, you can get away with a lot less wattage with cfl/T5 with fine results for vegging :thumb:

Ok sounds like winter where you are, ya get a cold night some one adjusts the thermostat for the central heating ah the temp changes in the tent... its a C to C thing really (celsius) every point up effects tent temp as well as down, same as summer months.

Having a base line temp of 20 c is pretty good you don't want large changes of C/temp between lights on/off no more more than several C at best ! it is also a wise option to keep fans running all of em 24/7 as to help deal with relative humidity RH & this may spike during the lights off period which may cause bud rot problems... this would off course depends on where ya from in the world as climate changes ah.

Ya can get those temp/RH monitors tho to keep an eye on it.

Gonna look at some basic configs for a set up like yours...

Basic - ducting > exhaust fan > ducting > air cooled hood > ducting > carbon filter - have passive vents open, a larger exhaust fan is a good choice as ya only using tent temp air to cool the hood.

Other wise...

1. Carbon filter > exhaust fan > ducting to point of extraction - gonna need a fan which does 240 cubic meters plus per hour to get neg pressure in ya tent.

2. Ducting > air cooled hood > ducting > exhaust fan > ducting to point of extraction this is where a Y piece of ducting metal work comes in handing to get it all up the chimney - need to pull air through rather than push.

Ah for some crazy reason i thought ya had 120 cm by 120 cm by 200 cm tent ?

Ok i see you have done the maths on air flow the 4 inch RVK is a little under for the tent ? well you can get away with that just about with a bear basic set up, the only thing i would think twice about is the lack of negative pressure which helps contains odour leaks.

A 5 inch exhaust would be a better option tho.

If ya not worried about smell ? well stealth what is the point plus minus the carbon filter the odour gonna go straight up that chimney my ol china, hopefully not a very smelly strain ?

So all this may lead to thinking about tent set up again or how to get favourable conditions !

600 w MH ah pretty juicy on the electric bill, you can get away with a lot less wattage with cfl/T5 with fine results for vegging :thumb:

Ok sounds like winter where you are, ya get a cold night some one adjusts the thermostat for the central heating ah the temp changes in the tent... its a C to C thing really (celsius) every point up effects tent temp as well as down, same as summer months.

Having a base line temp of 20 c is pretty good you don't want large changes of C/temp between lights on/off no more more than several C at best ! it is also a wise option to keep fans running all of em 24/7 as to help deal with relative humidity RH & this may spike during the lights off period which may cause bud rot problems... this would off course depends on where ya from in the world as climate changes ah.

Ya can get those temp/RH monitors tho to keep an eye on it.

Gonna look at some basic configs for a set up like yours...

Basic - ducting > exhaust fan > ducting > air cooled hood > ducting > carbon filter - have passive vents open, a larger exhaust fan is a good choice as ya only using tent temp air to cool the hood.

Other wise...

1. Carbon filter > exhaust fan > ducting to point of extraction - gonna need a fan which does 240 cubic meters plus per hour to get neg pressure in ya tent.

2. Ducting > air cooled hood > ducting > exhaust fan > ducting to point of extraction this is where a Y piece of ducting metal work comes in handing to get it all up the chimney - need to pull air through rather than push.
Thanks fuzzy. Here's some fan math I did.
420-magazine-mobile629889314.jpg

I think we are both agreed that the 5" RVK is sufficient for the 1 X 1 X 2 which is good because the hood is for 5" ducting rather than the 4"

I have naturally low humidity so switching extractor off at night wouldn't be a problem for humidity. But as we are entering flower you are right the odours would escape without the negative pressure.

I used CFLS for germ and seedling stage. Switched to MH as soon as the girls grew out of the T5. I'll be switching to HPS tomorrow or day after when I switch to 12/12.

Humidity would be an issue when the girls are much larger but right now they average 45-55% I'm keeping humidity on the slightly low side because I had to flush excess bites (suffering from a nitrogen toxicity currently) the lower humidity will demand more water from the medium which is what I want as I don't want them to be waterlogged.

I have a carbon filter but decided to ration the carbon and only use it for flower. I too vent out of the chimney
420-magazine-mobile3577972.jpg

I inserted 2 metres of beading down the ducting between the acoustic insulation and the outer sleeve to keep the ducting from zip zagging as I pushed it up the chimney. Air flow stays completely straight as the ducting goes 2m up the chimney. I also packed the chimney with news paper to prevent the negative pressure caused by the fan to pull chimney air back in to the room. Smells shouldn't re-enter the property.

I have a wireless digital thermostat that records the canopy temp and the humidity
420-magazine-mobile1429902362.jpg

The thermostat on the right isn't a wireless one. That one stays on the ground by the tent intake to keep an eye on that chilly air. Room at 20C is 17C at floor level.

Any thoughts on carbon filter > air cooled hood > 2m ducting > extractor fan > chimney exhaust ducting ? It would be very tight squeeze as the carbon filter and the lights together are about a metre wide ? I could use deodorizing gels as a substitute. The strain is Cheese X Cheese. That's right . 100% Indica bred with 100% Indica so I imagine the smell will be pretty potent. Currently a very earth natural smell but no odour leaks as of yet.

Time will tell

Thank you for the detailed reply nice & clear info :thanks:

Ya pretty much in check with a lot already only a couple of other things to mention...

5 " fan RVK Sileo 125E2 Fan – 220m³/hr that is normally the intake fan the exhaust would be RVK Sileo 125E2-L Fan – 323m³/hr that is when using a 2 fan set up tho for intake/exhaust tho, most of the time you would have another 3rd fan for the air cooled hood that being a long winded set up.

You could look at twin speed fans as well if wishing to stick with just the one, Rhino & Wolfnado are worth checking out as well.

RH / Humidity is just fine about perfect & i myself in general have the same sort of conditions, ya RH is more likely creeping up between 60 % to 70 % when the lights go off might be even higher with out the fans running !

So that is worth checking out just be sure to be sure.

Those digital Temp/RH may have low/high settings so you might be able to check conditions between lights on/off.

Odour in veg is normally quite reasonable but mid to late flowering another matter altogether cheap carbon filters last about 12 to 18 months & if you don't mind the extra cost Rhino Pro filters are well worth it, you can get 2 years plus out of these if looked after.

Tips wash the pre filter (white mesh thing on the out side) after the grow is done, back blow the carbon filter basically just reverse the exhaust fan that helps blow out any dust caught on the 2nd outer lining off the filter. ( High RH can degrade carbon life time )

Ok back to filter & hood set up ye well a lot off bulk to deal with... i'll try to paint a picture with words to see how that works ?

Open tent, you should have a few hanging bars to play around with filter bar needs to be placed at the back from left to to right as close as ya can get it to the wall of the tent with filter fitted.

Hood hanging bar would be central position left to right once again.

Fit ducting from filter to hood you may need about 1m to 1.5m length off the top of my head to adjust hanging height etc between stage's of growth & add equal length of ducting to the other side of hood.

Fit ducting to >

You should have a 3rd hanging bar to hang the fan perhaps from back of the tent to the front the final position of the fan should be near a port for ease.

More ducting the to point of extraction/exhaust.

( exhaust fan can placed out side of the tent if so desired just adjust ducting lengths, if just using a single fan for the job go bigger than intended )

Ye ok lots off hanging stuff, you only loose about 20 cm at best of total head room i kind of figured your tent is more likely 2 m tall, the extra ducting inside the tent can be kept tidy with a little DIY perhaps a bit string will do the job :love:

420-magazine-mobile478790401.jpg

I started off with this bad boy but the noise was unbelievable I had to ditch it for the SILEO 100mm. I have a rhino carb filter waiting to go though. I didn't think there was a difference in the fans. You say there is an L series that pulls more than the standard E2s. I figured the one fan pulling air through the tent would have been enough. 2X / 3X would be super noisy and the aim of the game here is stealth. I'm in a shared house with 4 other unsuspecting tenants. Take a moment to laugh. The idea of it still gets me haha.

Lol, the flag on my chest is a suttle hint for those with keen eyes, i took one look at ya fire place & thought i only see those in one country !

Unfortunately it is quite rare for myself to keep journals these days in less trying some thing new even tho i do experiment with different plant training techniques most grows, just wrapped up a main lining experiment with a touch of monster cropping 6 oz dry from 2 plants under a 400w hps not to shabby in my books, in a tent just slightly smaller than your own with same sort of conditions.

I have plans to keep a journal again but that is when i upgrade to a bigger tent plus new kit for it.

Cheers for mentioning the Rhino fan noise (dB) i was looking at those & i'll think twice about em how ever acoustic ducting helps a little with noise reduction slightly thicker so check port size, ya can always DIY an acoustic box for the fan as well !

RVK E2 & L models i would suggest going online to check some hydro stores out who stock RVK some times you can find the correct info from some of them it may take a little look around tho.

Ye the 3 fan set up is rather text book.

Basic is one fan with carbon filter & air cooled hood best to go with a slightly larger fan tho as to deal with draw resistance through filter/ducting etc as well ya only using ambient tent air to cool the hood.

Other wise it is a 2 fan set up one for filter the other for the hood should provide better results with temp.

Looks like ya pretty much happy with most stuff & i'll swing by ya journal :green_heart:

Lol, the flag on my chest is a suttle hint for those with keen eyes, i took one look at ya fire place & thought i only see those in one country !

Unfortunately it is quite rare for myself to keep journals these days in less trying some thing new even tho i do experiment with different plant training techniques most grows, just wrapped up a main lining experiment with a touch of monster cropping 6 oz dry from 2 plants under a 400w hps not to shabby in my books, in a tent just slightly smaller than your own with same sort of conditions.

I have plans to keep a journal again but that is when i upgrade to a bigger tent plus new kit for it.

Cheers for mentioning the Rhino fan noise (dB) i was looking at those & i'll think twice about em how ever acoustic ducting helps a little with noise reduction slightly thicker so check port size, ya can always DIY an acoustic box for the fan as well !

RVK E2 & L models i would suggest going online to check some hydro stores out who stock RVK some times you can find the correct info from some of them it may take a little look around tho.

Ye the 3 fan set up is rather text book.

Basic is one fan with carbon filter & air cooled hood best to go with a slightly larger fan tho as to deal with draw resistance through filter/ducting etc as well ya only using ambient tent air to cool the hood.

Other wise it is a 2 fan set up one for filter the other for the hood should provide better results with temp.

Looks like ya pretty much happy with most stuff & i'll swing by ya journal :green_heart:
Yo yo just ordered a TD Silent 125. You should check them out. Can't put a price on silence (y)

Get more air flowing in. 5°f difference between inside and out just need more ventilation try passive venting if possible

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom