Suggestions? Help?

Shagy

Hey, I'm super new to this so I have some questions and a requested for suggestions from you experienced folks. A little back ground here: this is my first attempt at growing. I got some random seeds from a friend (strain unknown) did some research and then just kinda went for it, I set up one seed to germinate with no luck so I started two more and one of them broke the shell and started growing pretty fast the second took a couple of weeks to start (not the best germinating condition). I potted the first one and let it grow (left one in the pictures) until the second node when i was getting proper fan leaves and then topped it, I've topped it once more since. The second one (right in the pictures) I haven't done anything to it yet as I was gunna try to let it grow to the 4th node before i started training it.

set up:
size) 3ft by 3ft box thats 5 ft tall.
lighting) 4 cfl 23w-actual bulbs that are 6500k 1500 lumens per bulb (for veg i have other bulbs for flower)
cycle is 18/6 and the plant pots are 7 gallons.
unfortunately I use a time release fertilizer thats 18-4-8 (also have other fertilizer for flower)
theres two different fans running, one for airflow and one to cycle air.

Question time:

1) my set up is built with the assumption that ill get both plants to be about 4ft tall is this possible with my pot size and light set up or is that a foolhardy thought?

1) the plant on the left has some weird discolouration on the tips of some of the leaves it seems to be only on a certain level of the plant, is it worth trimming the brown off the leaves or anything like that?

2)the new growth coming out of the top of the left plant is a very bright green and seems kinda dwarfed, is this a result of me topping it? or something else i should be worried about?

Suggestions:?

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could improve my set up? keeping in mind i'm on a university student budget :laughtwo:

Thanks for any help in advance! I appreciate it.
box90.jpg
set_up10.jpg
both28.jpg
22461.jpg

Welcome Shagy!

You have 92w of light. That's only 10w per sq.ft. To grow 4 ft plants you'd need closer to 50w psf. With the light you have now you could grow decent plants about as wide as your pots with level canopy. I would look into scrog training for best yield. Growing taller won't get you more yield unless you have HPS or high end LED.

brown tips are just slight nute burn. Leave it alone and reduce feedings if you see it on new growth.

Smaller leaves are normal after topping. The more branches the smaller the leaves.

Good luck and happy growing!

Thanks kingston! i just strapped down my 4 tops to start on that scrog training, would it be good to maybe pick up another set of 4 or so lights to boost the amount of light im giving them?

after_first_strapping.jpg

Ya, I'll snag some more lights for it then, how important do you think it is that the lights are 6500k like the others? would it be worth it to use different temperature lights (like the 2700k lights i have for flower)? as for the other one I topped it today at the 3rd node but i dont really have any major plans for it as i dont know if either of them are female :p I was gunna wait and see how the scrog training goes and if it goes well ill do the same with the second or try something new just for the heck of it haha. :)

Hi
:welcome: to the :420:
also height of plant depends of strain, so we can;'t say a simple yes or no. :) But with lots of light, like Kingston suggested, you will maximize your potentials :) Also, led bulbs can go close and 2ndcover walls with either aluminum foil (the back side that is dull) or car window shields (the silver ones) or white dull paint. Which ever you find cheapest.

Hey, I'm super new to this so I have some questions and a requested for suggestions from you experienced folks. A little back ground here: this is my first attempt at growing. I got some random seeds from a friend (strain unknown) did some research and then just kinda went for it, I set up one seed to germinate with no luck so I started two more and one of them broke the shell and started growing pretty fast the second took a couple of weeks to start (not the best germinating condition). I potted the first one and let it grow (left one in the pictures) until the second node when i was getting proper fan leaves and then topped it, I've topped it once more since. The second one (right in the pictures) I haven't done anything to it yet as I was gunna try to let it grow to the 4th node before i started training it.

set up:
size) 3ft by 3ft box thats 5 ft tall.
lighting) 4 cfl 23w-actual bulbs that are 6500k 1500 lumens per bulb (for veg i have other bulbs for flower)
cycle is 18/6 and the plant pots are 7 gallons.
unfortunately I use a time release fertilizer thats 18-4-8 (also have other fertilizer for flower)
theres two different fans running, one for airflow and one to cycle air.

Question time:

1) my set up is built with the assumption that ill get both plants to be about 4ft tall is this possible with my pot size and light set up or is that a foolhardy thought?

1) the plant on the left has some weird discolouration on the tips of some of the leaves it seems to be only on a certain level of the plant, is it worth trimming the brown off the leaves or anything like that?

2)the new growth coming out of the top of the left plant is a very bright green and seems kinda dwarfed, is this a result of me topping it? or something else i should be worried about?

Suggestions:?

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could improve my set up? keeping in mind i'm on a university student budget :laughtwo:

Thanks for any help in advance! I appreciate it.
box90.jpg
set_up10.jpg
both28.jpg
22461.jpg

She's having a micro nutrient deficiency. What nutrients are you giving her and how much are you adding per gallon ? What type of soil.

Pure. Potent. Vapor

The time released nutrients will give you grief more than likely as they tend to not give what you want at the right stages. The light leaks could cause problems too once you go into Flower schedule unless it is totally dark in that room when you have the lights off in Flower.

when the door is closed theres virtually no ambient light in the box but i was planning to go 12/12 for flower so i dont think the lighting should be too much of an issue for flower. The nutes im giving her are 18-4-8, i add about half a gram of them to the water and then mash them up in the water to try and sneak around the time release thing :p but i do about 4-5g in the water (4L) once a week (both plants and i only water till the soil looks and feels moist), i tried twice a week but it was starting to burn the tips so ive been cutting back. The box recommends 250g per 1inch stem diameter every 8 weeks (its tree, shrub, and hedge food) unfortunately it was the only thing i could find that got close to the recommended amounts of N,P,K so i kinda have to live with it haha. i do have another kind of nutes for flower but of course they too are time release XD .

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom