Identify this mite

IlmagnumlI

IMG_20170204_225731470.jpg

What kind of mite is this?

Yes, I for sure have two spotted mites that I've been dealing with since my buddy decided to bring in an outdoor cutting. But recently it's been looking like I have my pH out of range but it's not. After doing some reading I decided to bust out the scope fearing I may have Cyclamen mites or Broad mites. I've seen many spider mite nymphs with the scope but this one looked different to me. This picture was taken at 120x magnification and I was hoping it was just a nymph molt.

Yes, I for sure have two spotted mites that I've been dealing with since my buddy decided to bring in an outdoor cutting. But recently it's been looking like I have my pH out of range but it's not. After doing some reading I decided to bust out the scope fearing I may have Cyclamen mites or Broad mites. I've seen many spider mite nymphs with the scope but this one looked different to me. This picture was taken at 120x magnification and I was hoping it was just a nymph molt.

Mite Rid is the only thing that has worked for me, its systemic so it goes into the plant and breaks down in a week, but it kills the mites cycle as it has a 3 day cycle. The new born bite into the plant and die without reproducing.- you can get it on eBay
Screen_Shot_2017-02-08_at_11_52_49_am.png

Thanks for all the replies. I know the eggs start out as clear spheres and turn cloudy. When the sphere breaks open do these oval looking things come out first or is this another kind of mite?

The oval eggs on the leaf vein (also at 120x). I'm taking a picture using my phone so it's hard to get a good picture. I just want to make sure I'm just dealing with the typical spider mite. I have no Ph problems but recently I've been having leaves curl up, down, sideways, leaves turning dark green, older leaves showings signs of every deficiency you could think of. The only thing that has changed recently is my friend brought outdoor cuttings infested with mites forgetting to dip them in wipe out first. He also brought fungus knats but those are long gone.

The oval eggs on the leaf vein (also at 120x). I'm taking a picture using my phone so it's hard to get a good picture. I just want to make sure I'm just dealing with the typical spider mite. I have no Ph problems but recently I've been having leaves curl up, down, sideways, leaves turning dark green, older leaves showings signs of every deficiency you could think of. The only thing that has changed recently is my friend brought outdoor cuttings infested with mites forgetting to dip them in wipe out first. He also brought fungus knats but those are long gone.

Cant be 100% sure but I'd say they are eggs ready to crack open.
The spider mite will stress the plant if it is a bad infestation, it doesn't seem too bad now but it can get out of hand real quick. I mist my plants occasionally to check for any webs, the water droplets will catch in the web whereas otherwise you might not be able to see the web.
I recommend getting some Mite Rid, if that's not an option some SNS217 (i think that is what its called - seems popular on here - haven't used it myself as it is unavailable where I am) then do all the other Checks - PH most importantly.
Cheers Juz420

Mite Rid is the only thing that has worked for me, its systemic so it goes into the plant and breaks down in a week, but it kills the mites cycle as it has a 3 day cycle. The new born bite into the plant and die without reproducing.- you can get it on eBay
Screen_Shot_2017-02-08_at_11_52_49_am.png

I agree 100%, Mite Rid is a true mite killer. 1 sprayed my plants once and no mites again, that was about a year ago. My buddy borrowed it, he had a terrible mess, webs covering buds. He sprayed twice a week apart. He hasn't had a mite since.

Back
Top Bottom