The Claw - Too Much Nitrogen?

nooberson

What Strain is it? - Blue God

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? - Indica (God Bud + Blueberry)

How Many Plants? - 5

Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? - Veg

If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? - 7 Weeks

Indoor or Outdoor? - Indoor

Soil or Hydro? - Soil

If Soil... What is in your Mix? - FFOF with approx 25% perlite

If Soil... What Size Pot? 2 and 3 gallon pots

Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? - 8 bulb 400 watt T5 HO

Is it Air Cooled? - No

Temperature of Room/Cabinet? - 79-82 with light on. Down to 68 with light off

RH of Room/Cabinet? 30-35%

PH of Medium or Reservoir? - Unsure

Any Pests? - No pests here during winter

How Often are you Watering? - Varies, every 3 days or so

Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? - Earth Juice Grow and Catalyst. Only used twice, 3 teaspoons EJ grow and 1 teaspoon EJ Catalyst in 1 gallon of water.

Size or Square Footage of Room? Walk in Closet approx 6ft X 6ft X 8ft

Started 10 seeds, 7 sprouted and 2 died very young due to my noobness which left me with 5.

I am right at 7 weeks veg I have had pretty slow growth and I also went out of town for six days where I turned off half my light (4 bulbs) and and turned the heater off in my house hoping they wouldn't dry out as much with cooler temps. As a result it was pretty cold and they didn't grow much when I was gone, but they survived 6 days without water which was nice!

Anyway I am using Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil which seems good, but I watered with two back-to-back full doses of Earth Juice Grow and Catalyst which I think was a little too much goodie for these small plants especially considering the rich soil. I added 3 Tea spoons of EJ Grow and 1 Tea spoon of Catalyst to 1 gallon of water and used that twice in a row (not sure why) I just wanted to get max growth I suppose but in hindsight that seems like a bit much. As a result growth slowed down, but I am also seeing weird looking new growth and also seeing 'the claw' here and there.

I did research and I'm pretty sure what I am seeing is excessive nitrogen but I'm not totally sure. And if the prob is too much nitrogen it doesn't seem really extreme, so do I need to flush?

As is right now I am thinking about flushing tomorrow but don't know if it is necessary? Plus I have two 3 gal pots and two 2 gal pots so it's going to take me a while to milk 30 gallons out of my RO filter lol.

I'm just kinda at a loss as to what to do. Any thoughts? Would you flush?

Thanks in advance pics are attached :)

Oh and don't mind the little guy in the middle she's just chillin lol
20170321_003738.jpg
20170321_004004.jpg
20170321_003932.jpg
20170321_003805.jpg

HI nooberson!

I don't see any claws on fully developed leaves. They obviously have plenty of N but doesn't look like excess. New leaves are a little twisty but still opening and could turn out fine. That could be due to other things like low humidity, stress recovering from low temps while you were away, pH changes, or over-watering. Full feedings were probably too much, but I wouldn't flush. Just make next 2 waterings plain water, and then half strength until you see leaves lightening or signs of deficiency.

Plants look really good. I would increase humidity to at least 40%. Also check out link in my signature on proper watering. Cannabis really likes to dry out even more than we think is enough. At 80 degrees and low humidity they may actually need it every 3 days. Emilya explains a lot about how watering effects plants and worth the read even if you don't have watering issues.

Good luck, happy growing, and welcome to :420:

KingstonRabbi - Thank you so much! That makes me feel better. I am going to read your link on watering. I have been trying to let them dry out pretty good before I water, but in the past with all of my house plants I have a habit of over-watering for sure so I will try to keep that in mind.

I'm not sure how to increase humidity though?

Hi Everyone - Just an update along with a small problem lol.

First I want to say thanks for everyone who has contributed to this site! I have learned A LOT just from reading stuff you guys/gals have posted. I am pretty new, so I don't have much experience but one thing I have in my favor is that I like to read and research, and there is a budload of info on this site!

Things have been going pretty good with no major problems. I started out with five plants, and all are still alive but I lost patience with how long it was taking to veg so I decided to start flowering two of them and let the other three veg longer to get bigger.

I want the plants to be big for max yield but also don't want to wait forever so that was the compromise I came up with.

Originally all 5 were in my closet, but it's warming up outside/inside so I decided to set up a small flowering station in the basement where it is cooler. The temps down there are 72-73F (22C) with lights on and humidity stays right at 50%, but with lights off temps get down to 60F (15C) and humidity jumps up to a high of 80%! A little concerned about the humidity and looking into getting a small de-humidifier to drop the humidity some before the late stages of flowering.

Anyway, in my first post I was worried I over did it with the N, so lately I have been watering with RO water and every other time been using very light amounts of EJ Grow and Bloom. About 1/2 tsp of grow and 1 tsp bloom per gallon when I use nutrients.

Ok everything seems good right now I am at 12 days into flower, but one plant looks to be a lighter shade of green than the other with droopy leaves. I have been trying to let them dry out really well before watering, but the last time I watered the soil was really dry but I just watered the hell out of them lol. Didn't really realize that until after the fact. I 'think' this could be the cause of the droopy leaves along with the green-ness getting lighter. I can say for sure the soil takes a long time to dry - I started with FFOF and perlite but they vegged for so long it is compacted so it doesn't drain all that great anymore. Plus the basement is cool and humid which adds to the problem.

So I am almost positive my problem, or at least part of it, is over-watering. Weird thing is that one plant seems to be suffering from this prob when both plants are the same strain, same soil, conditions, watering schedule etc. That's the puzzling part.

I almost wish I started a journal I think it might be too late for that but next time I am going to do it. Here are some pics.

Two plants together are at 12 days flower, and the three plants together are STILL vegging hahaa.

20170412_203206.jpg
20170412_203532.jpg
20170412_203524.jpg
20170412_235915.jpg

Back
Top Bottom