Need some info

g3n0c1d321

Ok so question for you growers... I'm gonna try an experiment with lighting and to see.if the effects are similar or a huge difference. OK well I'm going to be taking my 1000 Watt mh out of the room and put in a 400 watt hps in the veg room now I have heard the red spectrum in veg will allow more calyx pods to appear but have the problem of trying to flower if I have them in there to long under red spectrum hps so I'm also going to be adding a t12 f20 cool white triple bulb in there to give more even white/blue spectrum. The light cycle will remain 24/0.
I have also thought of going a little bit cheaper route by getting 2 8 bulb T5 4 foot florescent. The only thing I do not like is.that they will stretch inside of slow grow and stack nodes and calyx pods, with the 1000 watt mh they will slower grow but stack growth like crazy for more production in flower but having the 1000 watt mh in a 5x5x8 in a room even with cooled hood the light intensity is still enormous off that bulb and still generates "heat". so I'm trying a little.bit of.a lighter bulb and softer tone red in veg to see if Temps drop. Please leave comments if you have tried before would like to read others results
420-magazine-mobile288105899.jpg

Sent from my SM-S902L using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Need some.info

Light spectrum does not flower plants, light cycle flowers plants. Fact of the matter is, a color corrected (blue-added) 600w HPS like Hortilux does a far better job than an equitable metal halide because it puts down more usable-spectrum light. It's a myth that plants stretch grossly under HPS compared to MH, unless you're using cheap shit street light bulbs. Fact: As long as you buy a horticultural bulb you don't need to add blue spectrum light.
Buy yourself a switchable digital ballast that allows 600/1000w bulbs, and simply rotate as needed. And toss the MH bulb, they're simply not efficient vs. Hortilux HPS.

As to temps, vent an air cooled hood man. Bulbs don't generate much heat into a tent at all when properly vented and cooled. Get a 200cfm CanFan & some ducting, and get the room your tent is in temps sorted. Problem solved.

Need some.info

Here is a article on the much debated MH or HPS for veg.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

While the technology behind indoor plant lighting has evolved rapidly, one thing has stayed fairly constant: Most growers still prefer to use high-intensity discharge lights in their grow rooms.

The HID lights that are most frequently used in growing plants indoors and in greenhouses are metal halides and high-pressure sodium (HPS). The reason both are commonly found in grow rooms — especially marijuana grow rooms — is because there has been a long-standing belief that metal halides are best for the early vegetative stages of growth, and HPS are more effective for flowering. So is there any truth to this?

Will metal halides lead to bigger, bushier, more robust plants, and are HPS bulbs the right way to go for flowering and bigger buds?

To get the answer, I did some research and decided the best place to find information on the efficacy of different types of supplemental lighting would be university studies.

Several major universities have done extensive research on plants grown indoors and in greenhouses. Utah State University and Michigan State University both have a wealth of information and studies on HID lights.

The university studies reveal there is no evidence to support the commonly-held belief that the extra blue light from a metal halide is best for vegetative growth. However, HPS is considerably more efficient for photosynthetic radiation (PAR) than metal halides.

And, careful university research has shown that the amount of light plants receive affects growth more than anything else.

At Utah State University, Professor Bruce Bugbee recently published a paper on the subject, and his research on a variety of lights and manufacturers demonstrates that (A) HPS puts out considerably more photons per watt of input power than metal halides, and (B) that there is no evidence to support the assertion that increased blue in a metal halide leads to more vegetative growth than HPS.

When I asked Professor Bugbee if the increased blue spectrum in metal halides led to bigger plants in the early grow stages, his answer was straightforward: "There is no theoretical or empirical evidence to support that claim. The apparent MH effect is likely caused by the amount of light, rather than the color of light."

This latter point is important because so many in the marijuana industry buy metal halides for early stage "veg" growth, and switch to HPS for bud. However, if you trust the validity of carefully conducted, unbiased university studies using accepted scientific methods, then purchasing metal halides for "veg" may be a waste of money, and could lead to decreased yields.

Some points to ponder from my discussions with two university professors (Professor Bugbee at Utah State and Erik Runkle at Michigan State) who have studied horticulture and supplemental lighting for many years:

- HPS is about twice as electrically efficient as metal halide.

- Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) is what really matters to plant growth, and delivery of usable PAR is better with HPS than metal halide.

- The enhanced blue in metal halide does not lead to increased plant growth compared to HPS in the "veg" stage.

- Metal halides deliver, on average, about 80,000-110,000 lumens per standard 1,000-watt bulb. For the same wattage, HPS bulbs delivers about 130,000-155,000 lumens. This increased light output far outweighs other considerations when trying to maximize plant growth indoors under electric light.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Here is a article on the much debated MH or HPS for veg.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

While the technology behind indoor plant lighting has evolved rapidly, one thing has stayed fairly constant: Most growers still prefer to use high-intensity discharge lights in their grow rooms.

The HID lights that are most frequently used in growing plants indoors and in greenhouses are metal halides and high-pressure sodium (HPS). The reason both are commonly found in grow rooms — especially marijuana grow rooms — is because there has been a long-standing belief that metal halides are best for the early vegetative stages of growth, and HPS are more effective for flowering. So is there any truth to this?

Will metal halides lead to bigger, bushier, more robust plants, and are HPS bulbs the right way to go for flowering and bigger buds?

To get the answer, I did some research and decided the best place to find information on the efficacy of different types of supplemental lighting would be university studies.

Several major universities have done extensive research on plants grown indoors and in greenhouses. Utah State University and Michigan State University both have a wealth of information and studies on HID lights.

The university studies reveal there is no evidence to support the commonly-held belief that the extra blue light from a metal halide is best for vegetative growth. However, HPS is considerably more efficient for photosynthetic radiation (PAR) than metal halides.

And, careful university research has shown that the amount of light plants receive affects growth more than anything else.

At Utah State University, Professor Bruce Bugbee recently published a paper on the subject, and his research on a variety of lights and manufacturers demonstrates that (A) HPS puts out considerably more photons per watt of input power than metal halides, and (B) that there is no evidence to support the assertion that increased blue in a metal halide leads to more vegetative growth than HPS.

When I asked Professor Bugbee if the increased blue spectrum in metal halides led to bigger plants in the early grow stages, his answer was straightforward: "There is no theoretical or empirical evidence to support that claim. The apparent MH effect is likely caused by the amount of light, rather than the color of light."

This latter point is important because so many in the marijuana industry buy metal halides for early stage "veg" growth, and switch to HPS for bud. However, if you trust the validity of carefully conducted, unbiased university studies using accepted scientific methods, then purchasing metal halides for "veg" may be a waste of money, and could lead to decreased yields.

Some points to ponder from my discussions with two university professors (Professor Bugbee at Utah State and Erik Runkle at Michigan State) who have studied horticulture and supplemental lighting for many years:

- HPS is about twice as electrically efficient as metal halide.

- Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) is what really matters to plant growth, and delivery of usable PAR is better with HPS than metal halide.

- The enhanced blue in metal halide does not lead to increased plant growth compared to HPS in the "veg" stage.

- Metal halides deliver, on average, about 80,000-110,000 lumens per standard 1,000-watt bulb. For the same wattage, HPS bulbs delivers about 130,000-155,000 lumens. This increased light output far outweighs other considerations when trying to maximize plant growth indoors under electric light.

Perfect. ..

Bulletproof Growing In Coco: How To

A 600w Hortilux HPS bulb runs 95,000 lumens, vs. a 1000w (!!) MH at 90,000. 40% less power, 5% MORE lumens. Case, rested.

Bulletproof Growing In Coco: How To

Back
Top Bottom