My plant is sick - Any ideas on how to diagnose it?

GoldenGoose

20170410_214147.jpg

Newer growth yellow
Older leaves browning from tips and edges inwards
Ak47 (apparently, I wouldn't know)
Germinated 25th feb '17
Miracle grow half strength
Solo cups with heaps of holes covering the sides
Growing in space bucket 20L
60w led ufo red and blue
3x pc fans 12v 80mm
18/6 (light schedule has been all over the place due to power outages though recently)
Temp 28 degrees C ( has been above 30C recently)
Plain potting mix (no slow release stuff)
No perlite (hence the extra drainage holes)

Any idea how to diagnose the poor girls?
(First grow, first post in a forum by the way)

Re: My plant is sick, any ideas on how to diagnose it?

20170410_214147.jpg

Newer growth yellow
Older leaves browning from tips and edges inwards
Ak47 (apparently, I wouldn't know)
Germinated 25th feb '17
Miracle grow half strength
Solo cups with heaps of holes covering the sides
Growing in space bucket 20L
60w led ufo red and blue
3x pc fans 12v 80mm
18/6 (light schedule has been all over the place due to power outages though recently)
Temp 28 degrees C ( has been above 30C recently)
Plain potting mix (no slow release stuff)
No perlite (hence the extra drainage holes)

Any idea how to diagnose the poor girls?
(First grow, first post in a forum by the way)
Welcome well I am no pro (I am on my 2nd grow), but I do know cannabis does not do well with Miracle-Gro. I grow in soil and use HappyFrog soil and General Organics for nutrients along with molasses. It looks like you have a couple of things going on. Bad nute burn for 1 and also it looks as if you are growing in a clear cup. Make sure the roots don't get light. May also root-bound. I would transplant into a gallon pot in better soil and let her be for a couple of days and only water when soil is on the dryer side. Good luck and happy growing.

I wrote a long detailed response. Then I deleted it. I think the more important thing for you is to do some reading. I don't want to dog on your grow as I know everyone has different circumstances and reasons for growing. Miracle grow is not good for cannabis for a few reasons. You will struggle with it. You are almost 2 months in veg in a solo cup! Red and blue only? What about the rest of the spectrum? Add some CFL's. Those are the things that got you here. When everything is setup well you can catch things early and easily correct. Check out some books do some research and grow some fire.
Cheers

420-magazine-mobile1070444759.jpg

I had this show up on Saturday there were 3 leaves on 2 plants. I found it early corrected my nutrients and the plant is back to thriving.

I wrote a long detailed response. Then I deleted it. I think the more important thing for you is to do some reading. I don't want to dog on your grow as I know everyone has different circumstances and reasons for growing. Miracle grow is not good for cannabis for a few reasons. You will struggle with it. You are almost 2 months in veg in a solo cup! Red and blue only? What about the rest of the spectrum? Add some CFL's. Those are the things that got you here. When everything is setup well you can catch things early and easily correct. Check out some books do some research and grow some fire.
Cheers
Good advice.

Welcome. well I am no pro (I am on my 2nd grow), but I do know cannabis does not do well with Miracle-Gro. I grow in soil and use HappyFrog soil and General Organics for nutrients along with molasses. It looks like you have a couple of things going on. Bad nute burn for 1 and also it looks as if you are growing in a clear cup. Make sure the roots don't get light. May also root-bound. I would transplant into a gallon pot in better soil and let her be for a couple of days and only water when soil is on the dryer side. Good luck and happy growing.

Every single point @kushgirl said is 100% correct and what I would've diagnosed as well. And with that in mind don't force anything, plants only uptake what they need, over feeding will funk things up.... once you get in a better soil medium and maybe even a smartpot or different pot at least, then maybe look into getting your roots healthy with kelp type product and or compost tea! Roots, microbes, and proper watering are something you need to research and focus on... good luck, the passion is obviously there, just need to find your plants niche!!!- MrGrowbot

Good first post! You gave enough information about your grow to give us someplace to start.
Kush Girl is right, you know. Light is the enemy of roots, and that plant needs to be repotted in something bigger. I too use clear Solo cups during seedling and early veg state so I can check on root growth, but I have them nestled inside red cups. You might also give them some full spectrum light from a 6500K CFL. The flat W style is best but requires a unique fixture.

Before you re-pot, flush the soil and roots with lots of water and give it a few days to dry out some. Flushing, as it's called here, or leaching as it's known everywhere else in the plant world will clear the root zone of excess nutrients and allow you to start with a clean slate.

To be honest it's really hard to say what the problem is because you have a number of contributing factors that complicate diagnosis. Clear the soil of nutes, repot, stop using Miracle-Grow, give it better light, and hope she pulls through.

The best advice came from Goatweed. READ! And then read some more!

:goodluck:

It appears burned, I started 30 under lights early Feb, moved them to soil and moved outdoors 1st of March, 30 days left. I used ,miracle gro professional and Medi One for the first 30 days then moved to a series of 3 fertilizers from Humboldt farms. Is this an Auto Flower? How bright are your lights? Your plant should be at least 2 foot by now.

420-magazine-mobile2016186156.jpg
Nothing wrong with solo cups unless it's clear. Wouldn't recommend clear. Looks like mostly too much fertilizer.

Finally found some time to jump back in!
Cheers to all the new posts since I left!
So...
I flushed with ph'd tap water,
Added perlite to soil 1:4 ratio,
Transplanted to 1.5L black pots,
Asked about the light (mate who gave it to me says its full spectrum & ok),
Lightly watered and fed with diluted nutes (diluted from 1/2 down to 1/4 strength)
(I know you guys said to ditch the miracle grow, but I'm a dic* and couldnt help myself, plus it's all I have at the moment)
Anyway....they bounced back...a little...
But...
Then it was time to water again, so I did, and of course fed again with the same diluted nutes.
And now I have what I think might be nute burn again!!!! Arrggg idiot!!!!
I'll chuck up some pics in a minute (when I figure out/remember how to again)
Ha I know these girls should be way bigger by now, but ive learnt a bucket load from all the mistakes made so far, and if I can get these to come good (and stay healthy), then i figure the next grow should be fairly hassle free

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it wont lete post a pic, ive uploaded 2 pics to the gallery under "cannabis plants" if anyone's interested, I need to hit the sack, ill try again next time im on, thanks again

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it wont lete post a pic, ive uploaded 2 pics to the gallery under "cannabis plants" if anyone's interested, I need to hit the sack, ill try again next time im on, thanks again

Looks almost too late to repot, the plant is so stressed and sick, it may be better to dump it and start over. Maybe try Miracle Gro Professional potting soil mixed with that coconut fiber not much though only about a quarter of a gallon per a two gallon container. I have been using that combo plus Tiger Bloom. Have never seen better looking plants started under lights in February moved outdoors first of March, have about 21 days left too go. Also might want to try a diluted solution of Medi One, the first 2 weeks of growth. If you are growing under lights, in my opinion only, all plants need darkness for x amount of hours per day. I go with 6 hours of darkness. The plant uses that time to process the energy stored during the daylight hours. Some growers add darkness some don't, I do. I am speaking strictly of auto-flower, but the same holds true for photo period as well. This is strictly my opinion, I am sure other will think differently. Also you may want to try those grow bags, because they drain super well.

I am going to jump in here and give a little help. I am by no means an expert, but I know a thing or two, and hope to help.

First off, ditch the miracle grow soil, additives, and anything related to miracle grow. It was designed with different plants in mind, and will make your plants sick, unhealthy, stressed, and generally not grow.

Get yourself some good soil, I would suggest fox farms ocean forest or happy frog. You can amend lightly with perlite if you like. This base soil will give you all you need in the way of nutrients for 3 to 4 weeks, so all you have to do is water. I think if you do this, and then do some reading around the forum, you will have much more luck.

I can't stress this point though, get rid of the miracle grow.

Good luck!

-Vape

Hey just a thought, I've moved the 60w led ufo further away in the single plant bucket (from 30cm away to 50cm), and it doesnt seem to be bouncing back as nicely as the other bucket.
I did this to rule out light burn while the recover.

If the light is too weak, does it only cause them to stretch or will the leaves yellow etc?

After my post last night I moved a plant from the ufo bucket into my other CFL bucket (4x 15watts)
This is how they look tonight.
Nearly ready to admit defeat.
Ive got some more seeds germing in water, cuz I dont think these ones are going to last much longer.
New seeds will be getting some "yates" plain potting mix and some "african violet" nutrients, both from bunnings
Ive looked up the suggested nutes from you guys but I'm in australia, and ebay wants a hefty $100ish for postage for them, so bunnings it is.
420-magazine-mobile1648411663.jpg

They havent been fed since the flush the other day, not sure if flushing again is a good idea or not?
I put 2L through each pot of ph'd tap water and the soil is still damp.

Thanks dude I just checked the temp, it was 31!
I thought the weather had cooled off more,
Just changed to the led, hopefully it'll be a bit cooler

Back
Top Bottom