Skunk #1 Auto Leaf Spots

tom420

Hello cannabis experts!

This is my first post on this forum (or any forum for that matter). I have read countless posts here educating myself and trying to go through my first ever grow - it's been great guidance and help. However today I came across a problem for which I just cannot find an answer. That's why the post.

It's my first ever grow. Here are some details:
Strain: Skunk #1 Auto feminized from White Label Seeds
Medium: Canna Coco Pro 70% / Perlite 30% with layers of hydroton on the bottom and top
Container: 11 liter smart pot, hand watering
Lights: Mars Hydro Reflector 96 (183W draw) and COB LED with 90 deg lens (125W draw)
Grow tent: 3' x 4'
Other equipment:
- Dehumidifier in the tent,
- Carbon filter and outtake fan 200cfm
- 2 mixing fans in the tent
- PH, EC, temp and humidity meters

I am growing just one cannabis plant, however I have 3 super-hot pepper plants in the tent as well. I actually treated these peppers as a kind of a growing exercise before planting cannabis. Made all sorts of mistakes with these peppers but now they are growing and fruiting so nicely I want to keep them! Anyways ... back to my cannabis girl.

It's 48 days from germination. Light schedule is 18/6. Temperature in the tent is below 79F during lights on and above 66F with light off. RH was at 60% during first weeks and is now at 45-55%.
On day 15 I have topped the plant and LST'ed slightly few days later hoping this will give me a flat canopy. Plant bushed out like crazy and I have been trimming some fan leaves, but not too many. I am not going to trim any more as it seems the majority of growers advise against trimming auto strains (feel free to give your advice based on the pictures below).

I am watering with RO water + Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal-Mag Xtra and GHE Flora Series nutrients. PH'ed to 5.5 - 5.9. Started with 400ppm increasing gradually to 600ppm in the last days.
I never let the coco dry completely. I've been watering once daily until recently, but after flowering started my girl tended to droop slightly few hours before daily watering so I have increased to twice daily - 2 liters an hour after lights on and 3 liters 6 hours before lights out. I am feeding with every watering and always water to 30% run-off.

My Skunk girl has been growing quite nicely but today I have noticed brown spots on some leaves. Not too many leaves are affected, perhaps 5 or 6, but I'm afraid this might spread quickly. These are mostly leaves on the top of the canopy. Please, check out the photos below.

I've been trying to diagnose it but could only find some very conflicting information. I am leaning towards Manganese or Cal-Mag deficiency, but perhaps it is a nute burn. I don't want to make it worse by making a wrong call here.

What I have noticed is that my run-off PPM has been quite low recently, while PH went up a bit. During the last days I was watering with 600 PPM @ 5.8 PH and my run-off was at 300 PPM @ 6.1 PH. Would that mean that my girl is hungry for more nutes and I should feed more? 800 PPM perhaps, for starters?

Any and all advice is more than welcome!

Cheers!

Here is my setup:
skunk_22.jpg

Here is my bushy Skunk #1:
skunk_119.jpg

What are these spots?
16847.jpg

And one of the lower leaves has this:
22492.jpg

My first thought was thrips. Those leaves look otherwise healthy so I'm suspicious of an insect cause for those spots. Hopefully someone with definitive knowledge will step up.

And welcome to 420magazine forums!

Thanks Saibot!
I have inspected the leaves but couldn't find any bugs. I have cut one leaf and put it under a microscope to see if perhaps any extra small buggers would be crawling around - but no.
I'm afraid that some more leaves are affected as I checked the plant this morning. Or perhaps it's just my paranoia kicking in.
Anyway, I took a photo of both sides of that leaf to show the problem in more detail.

Cheers!

Leaf_spots_2.jpg

You might try a Google search for calcium deficiency in cannabis and see what you think.

Sure, I have goggled extensively and checked quite a few visual deficiency charts and what not, but couldn't find symptoms EXACTLY like the ones I'm seeing on my plants. Well, I guess I should be looking for SIMMILAR rather than EXACT. It seems things are never so clear cut with these deficiencies.
Thanks both for pointing me in calcium def direction.
I've been feeding only 1/3 of recommended dose of CalMag and I'm using RO water so no CalMag there to start with like in tap. I will slowly increase CalMag in my feed.
I will post in a week or so with my progress, if anyone stumbles on this thread in the future.
Cheers!

Here is yet another picture of a problem, I believe this to be either a PH problem, or a cal/mag deficiency. I treated for both and new growth looks excellent!

20170416_212043.jpg

Cheers!

-Vape

now that you got that settled,,, question for you on your lights...

That one light on the right draws 2/3 the power of the left one? wow.
what was cost difference?
What are the foot prints of the two (compared to each other)
how does the plant respond to them, is there a noticeable difference?

sorry for the questions, it looks very nice, just curious..

Thanks

Actually it was Vapeman420 who posted that his grow is doing fine after having calcium deficiency like me, but my grow is also doing fine, I guess. I just need to be careful not to go overboard with CalMag now :) Plant is looking rather nice, see picture below.

No prob with the questions!
Yes, that small one is 128W draw. It's one Citizen COB LED CLU048-1818 with few supplemental red Cree LEDs. COB LED itself draws 102 watts and little Crees draw another 26 watts. Both lights were roughly the same price. COB ones tend to be quite pricey but they seem to perform really well. It gives very natural light being CRI 90 - that photo of my Skunk attached below was lit by that LED alone.

Foot prints on those LEDs are 2' x 3' for the Mars Hydro, and 2' x 2' for the COB one for flowering (a bit more for veg).

Unfortunately I cannot give you any insights on how plants respond to them. It's my first grow. I have never grown anything so have absolutely nothing to compare my current grow to. I have started my hot peppers with that COB light. Later, when I started my Skunk #1 I purchased Mars Hydro. Both of these lights turned out to be way too much for the peppers :) So I moved some peppers out of my grow tent together with the COB (there is no smell from the peppers so no need for a carbon filter). But things quickly got crowded in my "old" 2' x 2' tent - so I got myself a 3' x 4' tent. But MarsHydro wouldn't cut it for that floor space. So reading all the good stuff about COBs I decided to build one myself - 1/3 of the price and specs exactly as I want them. So I have built one with three Citizen horticulture COBs (CLU04H-85/200-PRB-01) 200W max power each, but I'm running them at 74 watts each for better efficiency and lower heat so all together 222 watts draw. I was surprised how easy it was to build (and I am not any kind of an electrical engineer mind you). I'm never going to buy another grow light - that's for sure :) Attached the picture of it too - looks very DIY I know ha ha Peppers absolutely love it - exploded with fruits shortly after I've moved them under it. And I have put the "old" COB directly over the Skunk. Planning to build another light shortly.

Cheers!

flower96.jpg

mycobs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom