Growing pains

ILovebagles

Hey guys I'm quite new here and to the grow life, can anyone tell me why my plants have been getting white spots?

I have a 60w plant light which is white and a reptile night light with not so harsh red light. Plant is in a homemade hydro system with about 15 goldfish. I have the plant on 50/50 lighting. By the way I replanted it in a larger pot. Also using super thrive hormone.
a061ed2f2d993d2da5f8ef9b7ddfde5b.jpg
96be044cf6271363f18841f8b3b4a727.jpg

I'd say your problem might be goldfish poo my friend....

Syke I am joking... I am not a hydro grower... but do you mean to say there are literally goldfish in your system??? Aren't they like really dirty fish?? I remember reading they need huge tanks and its cruel to keep them in fish bowls.

Plant looks healthy just looks like it needs nutrients... as any plant would in hydro... no soil to eat up... so I dunno... do they eat the goldfish waste?? Is that the point? Or am I being totally naive and you are joking about goldfish...

Show Me The Goldfish!!!!!

xxKitty

Of course I do Kitty! Love the Simpsons... we used to have blunt parties to watch the whole fox Sunday night animations!
That whole fishbowl thing has my noodle totally twisted!

I couldn't wait...
Using Goldfish In An Aquaponics Fish Tank

Its definitely a thing!!! You know.... this might actually make me give a mini hydro bucket set up a try!!!! I am very curious to see how this turns out OP, @Ilovebagels! Pleas tell us more about how you set this up!

My initial thoughts are you could use truly organic nutrients and it wouldn't harm the fish... It would just be like having trace elements in their water.

xxKitty

That's super interesting! I have no idea about your system, but I hope it goes well because I'd like to see this happen! Good luck!
Haha, yes I got tired of cheap dirt weed and decided to grow the best I could on a budget. So basically it works like this and excuses my setup, I was in a hurry because I needed to transplant, so I have a 13 gallon fish tank and a pot with gravel and my planted MJ, the plant must have food and with the fish in the same water as the plant, the fish eat the fish food and poop in the tank which sorta fertilizes the plant, the fish turns the food from nitrites to nitrates which is what the plant eats. My plant pot is a cheap plastic pot I bout at walmart that I drilled extra holes in for the roots to go through, I filled the bottom of the pot with big rocks I found outside and added gravel and plant, also have a water pump right below my pot that pumps air bubbles to the plants roots so they can breath, I thought plants just breath carbon dioxide but I read that the roots need oxygen. My light bulbs are a "plant" 60 watt bulb I bought from walmart and a 60 watt infrared reptile night time bulb which is not so harsh.

I will post pictures tomorrow, I read that the way to grow effectively is to not disturb the dark hours, not even for a minute, could cause them to turn hermaphrodite. I also just added like 8 ghost shrimp & a suckerfish because the water was looking bad and I really don't want to have to add chemicals which could affect the plant.

I'd say your problem might be goldfish poo my friend....

Syke I am joking... I am not a hydro grower... but do you mean to say there are literally goldfish in your system??? Aren't they like really dirty fish?? I remember reading they need huge tanks and its cruel to keep them in fish bowls.

Plant looks healthy just looks like it needs nutrients... as any plant would in hydro... no soil to eat up... so I dunno... do they eat the goldfish waste?? Is that the point? Or am I being totally naive and you are joking about goldfish...

Show Me The Goldfish!!!!!

xxKitty
You got it! The fish eat the fish food and poop to turn it from nitrites to nitrates which is what the plant eats. The pump bring a oxygen to the roots (I thought plants only breath carbon dioxide and breath out oxygen but I read that the roots need oxygen.) I added a hand full of ghost shrimp and a sucker fish to kinda help monitor the filth.

Haha, yes I got tired of cheap dirt weed and decided to grow the best I could on a budget. So basically it works like this and excuses my setup, I was in a hurry because I needed to transplant, so I have a 13 gallon fish tank and a pot with gravel and my planted MJ, the plant must have food and with the fish in the same water as the plant, the fish eat the fish food and poop in the tank which sorta fertilizes the plant, the fish turns the food from nitrites to nitrates which is what the plant eats. My plant pot is a cheap plastic pot I bout at walmart that I drilled extra holes in for the roots to go through, I filled the bottom of the pot with big rocks I found outside and added gravel and plant, also have a water pump right below my pot that pumps air bubbles to the plants roots so they can breath, I thought plants just breath carbon dioxide but I read that the roots need oxygen. My light bulbs are a "plant" 60 watt bulb I bought from walmart and a 60 watt infrared reptile night time bulb which is not so harsh.

I will post pictures tomorrow, I read that the way to grow effectively is to not disturb the dark hours, not even for a minute, could cause them to turn hermaphrodite. I also just added like 8 ghost shrimp & a suckerfish because the water was looking bad and I really don't want to have to add chemicals which could affect the plant.
e8b8174e0eee91ff8647f6b020a4fa0c.jpg
b325d9bd3ceb2e2743cc95ded6b996b7.jpg
46189ac2a0e6609f4d8dc8ac4fd1d896.jpg
62cdda951469f31bb01e7026866374b9.jpg

My tank started to look gross last night and after I added those bottom feeders the tank was clear by morning!

"They say goldfish have no memory-
I guess their lives are much like mine-
And the little plastic castle-
Is a surprise every time-
And it's hard to say if they're happy-
But they don't seem much to mind-..." ~ ani difranco

It's going to be okay Jesse! There are worse things in life.

Back
Top Bottom