Using sand to keep pests out of my soil - But one question about this

I have read a few posts where growers have put a layer of sand on top of their growing media to keep gnats and other critters out of their soil. I have two plants growing outside in Foxfarm soil. The plants are very small yet and the sun is hot. I know when I got to the beach the sand is so hot you can barely walk on it. I have to assume the sand on top of the soil will get hot in the same way.

The question......with the sand up against the stalk will it be too hot and damage the stalk?

Scenario: Young plants growing in soil outside in the sun. Will sand on top of the soil damage the stalks?

I've seen gnats and fleas thrive in sand. As for the heat to the stalk I don't know. You could use white sand reflects more light. Maybe certain grains sized sand makes a difference for pest control.

I have read a few posts where growers have put a layer of sand on top of their growing media to keep gnats and other critters out of their soil. I have two plants growing outside in Foxfarm soil. The plants are very small yet and the sun is hot. I know when I got to the beach the sand is so hot you can barely walk on it. I have to assume the sand on top of the soil will get hot in the same way.

The question......with the sand up against the stalk will it be too hot and damage the stalk?

Scenario: Young plants growing in soil outside in the sun. Will sand on top of the soil damage the stalks?

It kinda depends on the soil pests we're talking about. There's a big difference between soil pests like these guys and the creepier, crawlier variety. I'm guessing you're talking about the latter? According to this post by livetoskate81, sand does a pretty good job. Though don't expect it to solve your problems in isolation.

In fact, there's a bunch of advice / tips in that thread that might help you. Might want to give it a read! :D

Back
Top Bottom