Help! Thought it was a PH Problem.

Twobs

420 Member
OK, so a little info on this first. This past Sunday I changed out water/nutes Plant was about 14 days old and had been getting very light nutes the week before.

During Week 2 I basically ran this in 3.5 Gallons of tap water in 5 gallon DWC bubble bucket (tap water ppm is 300). This is roughly half the dosage called for from the GH table for a 3 Gallon setup. My plant seemed to be fine and growing very well.
Nutes: PH stayed between 5.5 and 6.5 throughout.
GH Flora Micro 1- tsp
GH Flora Gro 1.5- tsp
GH Flora Bloom .25- tsp
ArmorSi .5- tsp
Rapidstart 1- tsp
CaliMag - None
Diamond Nector 1.5- tsp
Recharge (Bennies) 2-tsp

Then this past Sunday I cleaned my buckets and put fresh water and nutes in. However, I upped the dosage to that of what GH was calling for, since I am using more water than what the GH Chart was mapped out for, I figured I might up the nutes some. I did not add any CaliMag this time either because I figured my water had enough in it as I'm using well water that leaves a lot of Calcium deposit.

Set PH at 5.5 to start and everything looked fine. Checked several times throughout the day it raised a little up to about 6.1 or so and I dropped it back down to about 5.7 for the night. Next day I go check and my PH is sitting at 7.0. the highest I've seen it reach, so I used some GH PH Down and got it back down to about 5.5. However at this time I noticed a few splotches on my lower fan leaves. I thought it might have been from the Recharge bubbling up and maybe splashing the leaves the day before. But a few hours later I notice little yellowish bronze dots start to appear in a couple spots.
GH Flora Micro 2- tsp
GH Flora Gro 2.5- tsp
GH Flora Bloom .5- tsp
ArmorSi .5- tsp
Rapidstart 1.5- tsp
CaliMag - None
Diamond Nector 2.5- tsp
Recharge (Bennies) 2-tsp

I went from here to research symptoms. Kept my PH in check as well, it didn't move much at all after I downed it from that 7.0 mark. I started thinking that maybe I had Calcium problems. the next day my leaves were twice as bad as they were the previous day when signs first showed up, but my PH was fine. So I made a noob move and added a small bit of CaliMag ( I know you should never start adding nutes). I added 1-tsp the dosage calls for 1.5-tsp so I added just a little less. Then after a lot more research I realize that maybe I had a Calcium lockout due to the PH problem I had that one night. Everything seemed to have calmed down and I didn't notice anymore yellowing or browning on the leaves. I do notice some leaf tips almost curling and I think they may look darker towards the tips. But it's hard to tell under the COB LED lights.
So yesterday I ran a 12 hour Flush with Florakleen and PH water, just in case. After 12 hours I put fresh water and nutes back in but this time I added in 4 gallons of water with this nute chart below.
GH Flora Micro 2- tsp
GH Flora Gro 2.5- tsp
GH Flora Bloom .5- tsp
ArmorSi .5- tsp
Rapidstart 1.5- tsp
CaliMag - 1.5- tsp
Diamond Nector 2.5- tsp
Recharge (Bennies) 3-tsp

Almost the same as before but with more water, another half gallon. It has been about 5 hours since I changed the Flush to the nutes and I may have noticed a couple more yellow dots appearing. I'm not sure if it's new or if that is just something which was already in the leaves from the high PH issue the other day and just now making an appearance. Anyways, here are some pics. Maybe someone could chime in and give me an opinion or two?

Also, I'd like to say. This is my very first grow of any plant. When I was a kid I couldn't even keep a cactus alive. And so far I thought I was doing OK with this. Besides the botched FiM (you'll notice some cut leaves on the new growth). But I'm very confused at the moment and anxiety is kicking in.

The plant is an Auto Sour Melon Mass from CMC.
616.png
429.png
520.png
353.png
271.png
1160.png

Just an update for anyone who cares. Seems I may have corrected the issue. I'm not seeing anymore new spots and she still seems to be growing ok. So I'm assuming it was just a PH nute lockout. I guess only time will tell during this very interesting day to day learning experience

Back
Top Bottom