Pineapple Chunk Deficiency - Soil Grow

egger

420 Member
Hello all.

I'm still pretty new to growing, so would really appreciate some advice with regards to my pineapple chunk plant which is in late veg.

About four or five weeks ago, I had some issues which I thought were a magnesium deficiency or lockout (interveinal yellowing from leaf tip towards the stalk — and generally all over the plant, not localized). I felt like the plant was a somewhat stunted, and foliar spraying with epsom salts made little or no difference. Our water out of the tap is around 400ppm, with Ph of 8, which I would adjust to between 6 and 6.5 for all waterings. About three weeks ago, after some research, I decided to purchase a R/O system and I flushed the plant.

The plant responded well, and started growing nicely. I have since watered with compost teas, liquid kelp, plain calmag'd water and yesterday with an Alfalfa SST. Ive also added humic acid to two waterings. She gets about a gallon of the above every three or0 four days. All waterings and feedings include 1tsp per gallon of GH Calimagic in the R/O water Ph'd at 6.0 to 6.2. I decided to Ph quite low because of some funky run-off readings. I still do not understand them — please see bullets below.

Last week, some yellowing returned. The leaves are getting two toned, look pillowed, have some minor canoeing and feel a little dry. Some brown spots that look like a burn also appear in places. New growth is generally green

I was also hoping to flip to flower in a couple of weeks, and have scratched a little Dr Earth bloom feed into the pot for some P and K. I doubt this has anything to do with the problem, however, I'm reluctant to flip until I can resolve this issue.

Many thanks in advance!

Here's some info and a few images.
- Plant is pineapple chunk by Barneys Farms. About 28" diameter — thick branches and very leafy.
- 3x3 tent with COB LED's 18"+ above canopy. 18/6 schedule. Running around 150-200W in veg
- Good ventilation and temps kept below 80F.
- Humidity around 60%
- Adjacent plants are doing well
- Grown in 7G smartpot. Used supersoil and generic base mix in pot (no slow release ferts in base mix). Some coco coir and perlite. Flushed with 20 Gallon R/O, Ph at 6.5 about three weeks ago.
- Initial run-off = 2600ppm, Ph 7.4
- 20th gallon run-off = 220ppm, Ph 7.8???? I thought this would go down.
- No bug issues
7_20E.JPG
7_20D.JPG
7_20C.JPG
7_20B1.JPG
7_20A.JPG

Hello all.

I'm still pretty new to growing, so would really appreciate some advice with regards to my pineapple chunk plant which is in late veg.

About four or five weeks ago, I had some issues which I thought were a magnesium deficiency or lockout (interveinal yellowing from leaf tip towards the stalk — and generally all over the plant, not localized). I felt like the plant was a somewhat stunted, and foliar spraying with epsom salts made little or no difference. Our water out of the tap is around 400ppm, with Ph of 8, which I would adjust to between 6 and 6.5 for all waterings. About three weeks ago, after some research, I decided to purchase a R/O system and I flushed the plant.

The plant responded well, and started growing nicely. I have since watered with compost teas, liquid kelp, plain calmag'd water and yesterday with an Alfalfa SST. Ive also added humic acid to two waterings. She gets about a gallon of the above every three or0 four days. All waterings and feedings include 1tsp per gallon of GH Calimagic in the R/O water Ph'd at 6.0 to 6.2. I decided to Ph quite low because of some funky run-off readings. I still do not understand them — please see bullets below.

Last week, some yellowing returned. The leaves are getting two toned, look pillowed, have some minor canoeing and feel a little dry. Some brown spots that look like a burn also appear in places. New growth is generally green

I was also hoping to flip to flower in a couple of weeks, and have scratched a little Dr Earth bloom feed into the pot for some P and K. I doubt this has anything to do with the problem, however, I'm reluctant to flip until I can resolve this issue.

Many thanks in advance!

Here's some info and a few images.
-Plant is pineapple chunk by Barneys Farms. About 28" diameter — thick branches and very leafy.
-3x3 tent with COB LED's 18"+ above canopy. 18/6 schedule. Running around 150-200W in veg
-Good ventilation and temps kept below 80F.
-Humidity around 60%
-Adjacent plants are doing well
-Grown in 7G smartpot. Used supersoil and generic base mix in pot (no slow release ferts in base mix). Some coco coir and perlite. Flushed with 20 Gallon R/O, Ph at 6.5 about three weeks ago.
-Initial run-off = 2600ppm, Ph 7.4
-20th gallon run-off = 220ppm, Ph 7.8???? I thought this would go down.
-No bug issues
7_20E.JPG
7_20D.JPG
7_20C.JPG
7_20B1.JPG
7_20A.JPG

Hello egger, I also am using Cob lights and to me if your leaves look like they have a canoe like look to them you might want to back off a little on the lights.
I had the same problem when I was in veg. And my leaves started to curl like yours. As for the yellowing you might still have a ph problem. Flush them out and dial lights down a little bit for a week or so. See if that helps and Good Luck!

I'm going to second the possible heat/light too close issue. And also add that the yellowing looks like a calcium/magnesium either imbalance or definiency. Cal/mag problems can also manifest as and be intertwined with pH issues because of the stabilizing nature of those particular minerals.

Hi BudBoy2,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'll do as suggested.

Out of interest, what wattage do you run your COBs at for both Veg and Flower? I have five COBs all running around 35W ea in veg (perhaps i should have reduced). I'm planning on running around 55W each in Flower. I have the full spectrum Cree CXB's.

Cheers
Egger

Cheers iwltfum,

I really appreciate the advice.

I obviously have a problem, i'm just surprised that it has occurred just three weeks after a good flush. Maybe this points more towards a deficiency, than a Ph problem? I'm adding calmag to my water but perhaps some strains need a little extra??? Either way, i'll stick to what it states on the bottle.

I'm planning on flipping to flower in a week, maybe two. I think i'll carry out a flush at that point, unless matters get worse beforehand.

Cheers
Egger

Hi BudBoy2,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'll do as suggested.

Out of interest, what wattage do you run your COBs at for both Veg and Flower? I have five COBs all running around 35W ea in veg (perhaps i should have reduced). I'm planning on running around 55W each in Flower. I have the full spectrum Cree CXB's.

Cheers
Egger

Hey there Egger, sorry took so long to get back. But I was running my Cobs at around 20w at veg. And slowly increase to around 30 as they grew. I'm at 2nd week of flower and I'm at around 40w now. That seems to be the sweet spot for mine.
You just have to find that spot that they like. I'm sure it's different with each strain. I may increase just a little more as time goes on. But if your leaves start to canoe like then just dial them back some. Also do a flush before you flip to flower to get your ph back in range. Especially once before flower.
Them Cobs are great but just be careful when your in veg. mode as not to burn them. I also have them above canopy 18-20 inches. Good luck to ya!!

Back
Top Bottom