Health Check Please - Brown Tips - Yellowing - Drooping

eversons

420 Member
Hi All,
I'm on day 21 since planting seeds.
My grow journal is here: Everson's First Grow - Indoor Soil - Strawberry Kush - Pineapple Haze - Blueberry

I may have given nutes too soon. I was noticing a little bit of yellowing, so I gave a very weak feeding last Sunday. Jack's classic at about 1/4th the recommended strength. I didn't intend to feed twice in a row, but I was out of town and had a friend water again on Tuesday and he used the water with the nutes instead of plain water. I got back last night and noticed a few things that are concerning me.

I'd love if you guys could take a look and let me know what you think.

They've been on 18/6 under a 600W MH in an air cooled hood (glass panel), about 24 inches above the plants.
Temps at plant level have been around 68F at night in the dark to upper 70's most of the day, occasionally peaking around 81 or 82.
Humidity has been 30 to 50 percent.

The Pineapple Haze looks pretty good to me, except for a tiny bit of a brown tip on one of them

DSC_011846.JPG

DSC_011942.JPG

DSC_012040.JPG

DSC_012150.JPG

My Blueberry's look like they are yellowing a little and 2 of them look droopy

DSC_012245.JPG

DSC_012340.JPG

DSC_012541.JPG

DSC_012641.JPG

The Strawberry Kush both have a little brown on the leaf tips

DSC_011339.JPG

DSC_011547.JPG

DSC_011745.JPG

21 days isn't too young for introducing nutrients so you're OK there. I'm not familiar with the line you're using but 1/4 strength is quite safe. Does your line have a PDF copy of a feeding schedule, if so, follow along with it and watch your girls go crazy. The lighter colour to their leaves indicates to me that they are getting the right amount of nutrient and that you're nowhere near too much nitrogen. The burnt tips can indicate an abundance of P and K, the last 2 numbers in your fertilizer breakdown. The drooping is likely temporary due to the watering. Remember to let the girls soil dry out to the touch before watering again. Looking fine brother!

Jack's all purpose is a 20-20-20.
The instructions say to use 1/2 tsp per gallon every other week or 1/4 tsp per gallon at every watering.
I only had a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon and tried to eyeball it filling the spoon about 1/4 of the way up and mixing with 1/2 gallon of water. So I was going for 1/8 tsp per gallon equivalent, but eyeballing it, I might have used more than intended.
I don't think I'm overwatering. The soil has a lot of perlite and drains really well and it only got watered when the top 1/2 inch of soil felt really dry. Although with the clear cups, I could see that there was still some moisture, at least at the bottom.

The reason I was worried about burn is that the brown tips only happened since giving nutes. To be clear, it's 21 days since planting, but the seeds took between 5 and 10 days to sprout. So the youngest ones have only been sprouted for about 11 days.

In any case, I gave them plain 6.8 ph water this morning (tap water that had sat out since yesterday) and I'll see how they look tomorrow. Our tap water has been measuring ph around 7.5 straight out of the tap and seems to go up to around 8 after sitting out for a day. So I've been using ph Down to get it between 6 and 7 before watering. The runoff has stayed between 6 and 7, so I think I'm ok there.

Do my plants look like they should be going into bigger pots now?

I'm seeing quite a few roots along the inside of the clear cups.

It's your fertilizer causing issues. Weed fertilizers have numbers like 4-2-3, not 20-20-20. Those numbers are really high. In my opinion you should not fertilize anymore until you get that sorted out, I would go with the canna line or another of the cost effective lines for now.

Yes for sure up pot. Minimum 3 gallon in my opinion.

Day 11 is kinda early, but I 1st feed mine around day 15-20. You did the right thing by going quarter strength.

It's your fertilizer causing issues. Weed fertilizers have numbers like 4-2-3, not 20-20-20. Those numbers are really high. In my opinion you should not fertilize anymore until you get that sorted out, I would go with the canna line or another of the cost effective lines for now.

Yes for sure up pot. Minimum 3 gallon in my opinion.

20-20-20 vs 2-2-2 is really irrelevant. The ratios are the same. The only difference is in concentration, so you use a smaller amount of 20-20-20 than you would 2-2-2 and that should be reflected in the mixing directions.
Lots of people have used Jack's for weed with great results. But I am going to hold off on any more feeding for awhile and see how the plants do.

20-20-20 vs 2-2-2 is really irrelevant. The ratios are the same. The only difference is in concentration, so you use a smaller amount of 20-20-20 than you would 2-2-2 and that should be reflected in the mixing directions.
Lots of people have used Jack's for weed with great results. But I am going to hold off on any more feeding for awhile and see how the plants do.
That's news to me but it does make sense, I would just never chance it with a general purpose fertilizer for my own purposes. What about the quality of the salts and how easy they are to flush afterwards? Have you read anything about that? Now I'm curious LOL.

I'm definitely no expert and like every other topic I've researched, there are a whole lot of opposing opinions. :)
I do know that a lot of people have used Jack's with good results.
I'm a beginner, so for this first grow, I'm just trying to keep it as simple as possible, while trying to avoid any big mistakes.
I do plan on keeping the fertilizer on the minimal side and doing some plain water flushes throughout the grow, as well as a week or two before harvest. I'll probably move my plants to bigger pots tonight and stick to plain water for the next couple of waterings. When I do feed again, I'll use even less than I did last time and give it at least a few days to see how the plants react.

I moved them to 3 gallon pots on Friday. Gave them plain ph'ed water on Saturday morning.
I double checked soil I'm using and it's "Just Natural Organic Potting Mix"
Just Natural® Organic Potting Mix 1 CF by Oldcastle - Walmart.com
It says "feeds naturally for up to 3 months", but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any time-release ferts or anything since it's organic.

I added 25% perlite to that potting mix.

All 3 of the blueberry's still look a little yellow.

This blueberry has a little brown on the tip and a couple of brown spots

DSC_006646.JPG

Both of the Strawberry Kush's have a nicer green to them, but both have brown tips on a couple of leaves.

Strawberry Kush plant 1

DSC_007342.JPG

Strawberry Kush plant 2

DSC_007136.JPG

Any thoughts?
Is it possible that the Strawberry's could have nute burn and the Blueberry could be deficient? That would seem odd, but I don't know, maybe the strains have different needs. By the way, all 3 of my Pineapple Haze plants still look great.

After looking at a few of the "sick cannabis" plant pictures around the internet, those brown tips and edges on the Strawberry's actually look like they could be a potassium deficiency rather than a nute burn. But I'm afraid to feed in case I'm wrong and it is nute burn.

Any help is appreciated

Yushallnotpass, please start your own thread.

So I'm on day 32 now and the girls are no longer yellow and droopy. I've fed them a couple times (1/4 strength) since then and no additional signs of tip browning. They've grown a lot since I last posted here, but I am seeing a few other things that I'd love to get an opinion on. A couple plants have leaf tips curling down and one plant has some weird wrinkly leaves.

Pics of all my plants are in my last post on my grow journal: Everson's First Grow - Indoor Soil - Strawberry Kush - Pineapple Haze - Blueberry

But here are the one's that look like they might have an issue.

Leaf tips curling down

DSC_009853.JPG

DSC_009748.JPG

Weird leaves

DSC_009549.JPG

DSC_009456.JPG

DSC_009357.JPG

PH seems a little high. What is the base of the soil you are using. I would keep it between 6-6.5 max. All you pics look like your girls are over waterd. Try less water. Also, you should never plant in cleaf cups. Roots need to be protectd from the light and stay dark.
Good luck.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom