Plants All Dying on Me!

L u c i f e r

Hi All,

First time growing, and first time failing, badly. I'm looking for some insight into the issues I am having. After lots of reading and trying to remedy the situations, I had some success but only temporarily. So, firstly, I got a few clones, and have encountered the exact same issue with all of them, but one, but eventually that one too had this issue.

They were all growing wonderfully, until they went into the flowering stage. Then they all wilted, dried and died. I am unsure what went wrong here. This is one of them.

What Killed Me? - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Only two days ago it looked more like this:

What Killed Me? - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

I know there is little to no chance to get it back to life here, but Just for my own reference later when I try again. Need to know where I went wrong.

So, they started outdoors, but lost one once it hit this stage, the others started to go too, but remedied them, they got too much rain. After that, I had a night that dropped down pretty cold, and decided to bring indoors. I have 2 - 45W LED lamps and a 150W lamp covering 5 plants. They all dried up within a day.

It's a very sad day here... :(

Thanks for any help.

Re: Plants All Dying on Me!!!!

Hi Lucifer!:welcome:
We'll need a little more detail before we can diagnose problem.
Based on what you said I would guess waterlogged soil combined with cooler temps indoors is suffocating roots. Just a guess.

What kind of soil and how wet?
What temp/humidity inside?
What feeding schedule?
What kind of LEDs, made for growing or home use?
Have you checked for mites? They can suck a plant dry before you can even see them. And often a problem coming from outside.

Hi Rabbi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, the soil I used was a from home hardware, which is a mix of peat, coco fibre, compost and perilite. The temperature is a little above room temperature, so around 80F (26 C), I use to feed often, but cut back a bit as it seemed they were water logged, and getting too much nutrients. So I cut it to every 3 days about. The soil still seems damp, as when I brought it inside it never really dried out much. The LEDs are for growing, as I got them from someone who use to grow, not sure what brand however, but they are similar to ones I've seen online prior. I haven't seen any mites, though being new to this, I may not have noticed. They were getting chewed up a lot from bugs outside before though.

For nutrients, I was told by the person I got the clones from to use the regular miracle gro, and once they get to the flowering to switch to the bloom miracle gro. Reading on this, I have heard mixed reviews and opinions however. I haven't checked pH to be completely honest.

EDIT: It's not too humid in the room (not using a cabinet - just in a small room)
On a light schedule of about 8 hours on rest dark. Not sure how far away to put LEDs as I thought they may have been burning them at about 12" away, so moved a bit further.

Well, with you stating that your soil never really dried out, it sounds like you caused root rot.. And your plants root system is toast. Generally, when you switch the light cycle you get a surge of growth as the plant is doing it's final stretch before beginning it's flowering cycle. The lack of support (Dead roots) may have caused rapid wilting of the plant.
Or, the other thing would be to check your pH/EC, you may have had a salt buildup.. but generally the symptoms of that have a much slower onset. Otherwise, you honestly may have just fried your root system with over feeding. What were your feeding measurements and pot sizes? Feeding every 3 days is kind of overkill.. I think I only water once every 5-6 days during veg, and every 2-3 days towards the end of flowering, but I use 5 gal smart pots. And for feeding.. there is not a general rule of thumb. You learn by experience, but start with half of the recommended dosage and go from there. You need to learn the plant, that is the only true way to feed adequately.

Thanks. I use 5 gallon pails, plenty of drainage. The soil is strange since I brought it in. It looks wet, but, doesn't feel it too much. The veg state went pretty good, and i had high hopes. But, I guess it just wasn't a good first try. You may be right about the root system being overfed. I was instructed to give lots of nutrients, so I was. But, then I stopped with much for nutrients so much after losing one and they seemed to be doing ok, then it happened again...

It is difficult to explain really because it went through a few good and bad cycles. Seems this person was wrong. I guess I'll have to see how it goes next time, and maybe jump on here sooner than this to correct it in time. Just very sad losing all of them on my first attempt... oh, how I feel like a failure.

If anyone has some suggestions on how to maybe avoid some of this next time that would be great. Especially switching from veg to flower state... Next time will be all indoors, outdoors was too hostile for them here.

Back
Top Bottom