Help with pest or disease diagnosis

MrCanada

Hello, I've been lurking around here occasionally commenting in many of your journals. I am MrCanada, and I live on the west coast in BC. I have been growing roughly a year with my ACMPR license, but due to some issues I have not really been able to have a successful harvest. My first run I ran into your typical PH issues caused by many rookie mistakes. I have spent a ton of time studying and learning before taking on the next grow. I decided organic in super soil.

420-magazine-mobile319427506.jpg

The issue I have has been going on since June. I started two bag seeds and put the outside early summer for a couple of hours at a time. I started noticing some issues with my plants and after a lot of googling I came to the conclusion I had thrips. I was experiencing twisted growth, slow growth, some silver sheen, and very purple stems.

I went to the local hydroponics store and they didn't have a lot of advice but sold me a bottle of neem oil. I started treatment (foliar, and drench) I noticed after the treatment problems seemed to be going away. I did this treatment twice only which was stupid and after about a week or so I noticed symptoms were once again worsening. I continued on with this for a while but noticed my issues weren't going away. I ended up cutting a lot of leaves and doing a full clean of my grow area, because I am not the most clean grower.

I eventually noticed I was having bugs the size of salt specs were in my soil. I panicked thinking root aphids and removed all media from my plants and stripped all bad looking roots off them and re planted. As you would imagine suffered horrible shock and barely made it, but unbelievably did. After a week or so root growth was coming along and plants back to life. They looked okay until issues began again. I started finding thrips, identified under my microscope

420-magazine-mobile1318052085.jpg

Suntana, and many other online forums suggested spinosad, after a week of searching I found someone who would ship to Canada. I have now had it for a week, and I have done three treatments. My problems aren't going away. Tremendously slow growth, holes appearing in leafs, new growth all going very pale. All the plants seem to be effected completely different. Some more than others.

I realize I have probably created many of these issues myself trying to fix it but before I scrap everything and re start I was curious on people's advice. I am confused on whether I have an insecticide resistant thrip species, or have they spread a virus to my plants? Is my impatience creating this issue?

420-magazine-mobile1922430035.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1998522349.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1606674663.jpg

This plant grows very slow. It started great but has gotten worse. As the new set of leaves grow, the old ones continue burning around the edges. I am not using nutes. Just been giving the odd tea around 500ppm.

420-magazine-mobile105187873.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1042189417.jpg

This plant is the least effected, but slow growth, and burning as well.

420-magazine-mobile622423443.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1725492644.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1511408168.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1337085465.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1722680415.jpg

420-magazine-mobile793586691.jpg

420-magazine-mobile133674190.jpg

This is the most effected plant. It has the deformed growth, very purple stems, they start green but slowly turn. Thank you for anyone giving the time to read this, I'm at a loss. Maybe I just need to take a step back?

It ended up being TSWV from thrips. Fan leaves were cut off because they were dying faster than they were growing.

Did you try diatomaceous earth? Never had thrips but that powder killed off a spider mite infestation in my main room this autumn

Here's a youtube video about the powder

YouTube

If you're gonna use DE. Make sure to use a dust mask. You do not want to inhale that stuff. Besides from this it's perfectly safe and can even be used as a dietary supplement. It's supposed to be good for you. Never tried it myself for that purpose. But I do use it to dust my cats favourite resting places to kill off fleas and ticks.

If you're gonna use DE. Make sure to use a dust mask. You do not want to inhale that stuff. Besides from this it's perfectly safe and can even be used as a dietary supplement. It's supposed to be good for you. Never tried it myself for that purpose. But I do use it to dust my cats favourite resting places to kill off fleas and ticks.
So it is safe for my pup?

Absolutely. Just make sure it's food grade. My cats like to roll in it and then they get all white.

Back
Top Bottom