Purple Leaves

Bizz Beachbum

Problem: First timer

Symptoms: My girls are close to finishing (2 weeks maybe) and are showing signs of advanced ill health. The leaves became lighter in colour with a few purple stems about 4 weeks ago and now have purple leaves. Upper leaves are almost banded purple and green, later turning dark purple/brown, then die off. Bottom leaves turn limp and yellow. Even the healthier leaves droop and curl up a little. The maturing buds even have a few purple tipped pistil hairs.

IMAG043820.jpg

Strain — 4 x Nothern Lights Auto; 1 x Blue Mammoth Auto
Medium - BioBizz Soil (½ Light, ½ AllMix)
Grow Stage — Late Flower
Light — 2 x 450W LED
Nutrients — BioBizz
RH - 39% to 45%
Room Temperature — 67 — 71F
Room Square Footage — 1.2 x 1.2 x 2m
Pests - None Known

This is my first grow. The girls had a very poor start in life, in their 2nd to 3rd week due to equipment and ignorance.
I have solved the equipment issue :hmmmm:. They are troopers though and bounced back nicely. I only started light nutes at 7 weeks after the first signs of purple spotted. I'm scared of loosing them now when they are so close to harvest, worried that there won't be enough green in the leaves to feed the buds. Please help. I've been reading 420 for months now, completed grow journals mainly, and I'm so impressed with the and knowledge and attitude of the members.

IMAG044721.jpg
IMAG044624.jpg
IMAG044819.jpg
IMAG044921.jpg
IMAG045122.jpg
IMAG045314.jpg
IMAG045417.jpg
IMAG045619.jpg

So what do you dudes think? Don't hold back, I can take it.

:surf:

Strains turn purple naturally 2 ways. Some turn purple at the end of their growth cycle. Right about your time line. Others turn purple because of cold. Thermometers usually have high and low temps. That will tell you if it could be cold. The genetics you are running could easily have natural purple in them.
Plants late in flower will start to show deficiencies. This is fine. Looks to me there is plenty of flower time left. No withered hairs yet. One plant looks to be needing nitrogen. A little to much yellow for this time in flower. Best to get help with nuts from a hydro guy. I do soil and usually have plenty of nuits left at this time.

The biggest thing to remember! Beautiful plants tend to look ugly when they are finishing. They look like they are dying because they are. The plant knows this too. That is why they put out more and more trichomes at the chance of catching any pollen.

Late in flower trichome color is more important then leaf color.

Hello stopped in to see if I can help. Do you know the ph of the water you use to feed? Whenever I run into a problem that's where I start. That is usually how Deficiencies start.
Secondly do you add a cal/mag supplement? If not you might want to think about it. I know that in all my LED grows I've had to add extra for some reason. But if your ph is off your plant can't absorb the nutrients anyway. Maybe has to do with the light spectrums they put off.
But I would check your ph run off. I use biobizz products too. They are great

Howzit LED209 - thanks for dropping in. I think you're right.

I have been adjusting water ph and adding a bit of calmag - but only started doing so after about 7 weeks from sprout. I also started weak nutes at the same time. My tap water is over 8 and maybe those first 7 weeks are having consequences now. Early symptoms started about 4 weeks ago.

What are your thoughts on doing a flush? I know I'll wash most of the remaining BioBizz soil nutes out with a flush, but I've got the bottled nutes to feed with.

I'm doin great thanks! I don't think you need to flush. I just think you need to make a new batch of nutrient solution, 3/4-full dose of nutes that is ph to 6.5 or so. Check the ph of the runoff water. The leaves aren't going to get any better at this point. Our job now is to limit the stress to the finish. Don't be discouraged you've done great so far especially considering it's your first grow. Keep me updated and you'll have some smoke in no time

Hey LED - just shows you what a "by no means an expert" can do with some guidance from the community. :thumb:

I fed and watered my girls as you directed - ph of my tap water is over 8, bubbled for 24h, and after adding half-strength nutes, the ph was 6.5 (fluke).

The run-off ph that you wanted reported back to you was 6.4 - I imagine that's OK?

My new beautiful 600W ballast was delivered this morning, so I've hooked up my HPS reflector and turned the LEDs off. I bought the LEDs after my first ballast failed. They have done a good job, I think. But considering that I have had to use a heater in the room because the LEDs are so cold, and that the plants look sickly, and that the replacement ballast is the nuts - I had to get the HPS going.

My temp was between 18 - 21c with LEDs and heater 24/7. Temp now with HPS and no heater is 25c.

Hopefully we will see some improvement in the ladies in the next few days - thanks for your help dude.

Exactly bro, I lurked these forums for a while before I decided to start growing. If your ph was 6.5 ish this whole time I don't think that was your issue. Some plants like a lot of nutes to produce those big colas. And if you still think you have 2-3 weeks left I've seen some stains pack on most of their weight in those last few weeks. I would just make sure to feed her well with that ph'ed water/nute solution until you want to flush if you decide too. I want to see some pics of those plants when you chop them dude! Your rock in it! I'm about to start another journal soon so I'm sure I'll be seein your around. Peace out and gl on the rest of your journey

Sounds like you are getting some sound advice. We have good tap water here so no need to adjust it. 8 sounds pretty high for a long period of time. You might have a build up in the soil. Like suggested check the PH coming out. You may need to flush

I think they are doing better, no visible improvement as such, just no further deterioration. Since putting the HPS on the heat has been better about 25c, and the smell is stronger now when I open tent up. Good signs I think. Gave them a drink of half-strength nutes two days ago and today I gave them straight water. Will keep this repeat going for the last few weeks then flush week before harvest.

Which leads me to my Xmas present which arrived today - [FONT=&amp]USB Portable Microscope OTG Function 8LED Digital Zoom Magnifier with Holder True 5.0MP Video Camera 1X-500X Magnification 0-3cm Focus

[/FONT]
The thing looks amazing - and I'm so impressed with the results, see for yourself.

Picture3.png

Picture2.png

Picture1.png

Those things are so cool. I haven't figured out how to use mine with growing plants. I have had good luck with dried buds though.

LED and Jack - thanks dudes

My girls showed their worst symptoms last week when I opened this tread, then been stable without further deterioration for a week since I got your advice and encouragement. And today they showed their first signs of returning health. I'm so relieved, being so close to harvest. I reintroduced my HPS, gonna continue feed/water schedule for another week, week for flush, then harvest.

Case closed.

All the best for the New Year.

Back
Top Bottom