Sprout Completely Drooped - Please Help

spiritwave7

Hello.

I bought a micro-grow case from pcgrowcase.com, so I've been following their instructions, which are sadly only in the form of customer support (no manual).

Here is their reply that I received prior to germination:

"Included with your box will be two rock wool cubes. You will need to get the rock wool cubes wet by running water over them. Then, place the seed in the hole thats located on the top of the rock wool cube and place the seed just below the surface and pinch the hole closed. You dont want to get the seed too deep or it will have a difficult time getting to the surface when it sprouts. Place the rock wool cubes in the pc grow box without the fans or lights on until the seed sprouts. It generally takes anywhere from 3-8 days for seeds to germinate. Just make sure the rock wool cube does not get too dry, and dont keep it soaking wet the whole time or the seed will rot. You want to dribble water on and around the seed every day or two to ensure its damp. Once the seed germinates plant the rockwool cube into the soil and it will begin to grow."

My first germination seemed to go well, but then my very young sprout just completely drooped to the side (the stem, which is over an inch long, lost literally all strength) before I could plant it in soil. The tiny leafy part is now settled over the edge of the cube.

The leaves are still green, and the stem seems about the same color that it was upon successfully sprouting, so I hope there's still hope here.

I'm afraid that I messed up the timing on planting the cube in soil.

I didn't plant the cube yet (because I'm uncertain as to whether I need to unwrap the cube first -- growing is completely new to me), but I did add soil to the pot simply to raise the height of the cube (by about four inches), so it's closer to the light -- because I read online that this issue could be that the sprout wasn't getting enough light (even though there's a lot of light in the PC case).

Raising the height occurred yesterday, so several hours later of closer lighting has produced at least no obvious change.

I've done my best to ensure the water is as close to 6.0 pH as possible fwiw.

Customer support is obviously off for the holidays, so any help that you provide is much-appreciated.

I have an image of this situation on my phone, but I apparently can't upload it here (I assume it's because I don't have authority to post attachments). Is there something this newb is missing on uploading images here? Do I really need to upload images elsewhere (if so, any recommendations?), and then post the URL here? Unfortunately, I didn't yet have time to fully study how things work around this forum site prior to posting here, but I'm in crisis mode.

:helpsmilie:

With ample thanks to Chris Scorpio, here is an image of the poor sprout in need of help...

IMG_20171224_081027.jpg

Those plugs get way to dry and way to wet
She looks one or the other
Rapid rooters are much better

Or try the seed straight into soil after germination

How did you germ the seeds

I germinated it using the process that pcgrowcase.com advised (I included their full instructions in my original post of this thread).

Following their instructions, I tried to keep the cube a tiny bit damp, while checking once daily.

Humidity has been all over the map btw. Sometimes as dry as 18%, I used a humidifier in the room to bring it up to over 20%. Then out of nowhere, I saw it shoot up to over 60%, dropped back down, and now at 36% with humidifier running.

Temperature has mainly been steady at around 74F, which I read is ideal at this stage.

I sadly agree.

For anyone who may be reading this thread and wants more information about this, I found some information about stem rot here:

Cannabis Root Disease | Cannabis Training University

I wish I had more detailed instructions to perhaps avoid disasters such as this one.

Trying to water it a little just to keep it damp enough, I used an average-sized (if you will) measuring cup, but apparently I need much less water -- perhaps using a dropper instead of a measuring cup.

Also, am I right to assume that I need rock wool cubes that are stored better than just sitting in an open small cardboard box for roughly a month?

I just feel like I need a lot more details about growing right, and even though I've explored websites on the matter and taken the best notes that I can, it's still not enough to prevent tragedies such as this one.

Thank you again, improvise.

Personally I just soak the seed(s) for 24 hours and then put them into the soil, so the old fashioned way, Clones I do use the rapid rooter kind of things to start. What kind of light do you have? As they will stretch too much trying to find it and can get top heavy and do that. I would stick it into soil if you haven't tossed it yet (plant cube and all, and gently hold up stem and cover stem up to about 1/2-3/4" from top.......as it is worth a shot....but I tend to not cull anything until it is totally dead or a Male, as they can surprise you with how much abuse they can put up with). Does your case have any kind of ventilation in it? As they need some movement of air to help survive and helps them build a stronger stem so they don't fall over like that. I've never grown in anything like that, my small box I started with was only 3' tall and I found out quick I was going to need more headroom to get very much out of a plant (and seeds expensive), not sure if any Journals around where folks have got a PC sized box all the way thru a whole grow, might try a site search and see if you can find one as might be a lot of useful information there.

best of luck :Namaste:

Along the top of the box are four CFLs (5000K), and for added light, I have two LED strips. Mylar is basically all over the inside. During flowering, I've been told by pcgrowcase.com to switch to their 2700K bulbs btw+fwiw.

IMG_20171225_103840.jpg

In my last post to Chris Scorpio, I included a link to Suzy Seed's favorite germination method, but yours is also under consideration.

I left the sprout to die peacefully in the case with no light or fans, but I will try to save it. However, I don't understand what you mean by "hold up stem and cover stem up". What should I hold it up with? How should I cover it up?

For now, I went with this using a floss threader (I hope the image is clear enough)...

IMG_20171225_104644.jpg

How much water should I use? Should I still go for about a 6.0pH?

There's an intake fan at the lower front of the case, and two exhaust fans running through carbon filter.

One problem is maintaining proper humidity, as it's usually very dry here due to electric heating during the New England winter. I'm considering using a humidity dome for the germination process, and apparently once the seed is planted and such, humidity levels should be okay (that's what pcgrowcase.com said). I have a small humidifier near the intake fan that adds a few percentage points. Right now, it's at 37%.

:Namaste:

One more thing...

According to pcgrowcase.com, the plants need to obviously remain smaller, which occurs due to the limited pot size.

The dwarf plants rely upon only a two-week veg stage, then a regular flowering one.

I do have an LST shelf that can be added when needed for a better yield.

As a couple of vape users, we don't need large yields. Due to serious intake efficiency of vaping, the 1-3 ounces produced by this plant can last us many years.

:Namaste:

Yeah, I'm done with rock wool cubes.

I looked into Rapid Rooters. They look great, but are kind of too expensive for me, considering that I have to buy fifty of them for two seeds in my micro-grow.

Next I think I'll either try Suzy's favorite method:

Germination - Cannabis - Growing Hemp - SuzySeeds.com

... or follow Dwight Monk's recommendation.
I have this issue as well at the low humidity you are starting seedling at. My issue is the new atems are rapidly drying out . i turn of my fan now and dome it with a tupperware until you see that the seedling has developed a bark and then you will be safe from the atem shrivling. Like i said that was my issue. I dont believe it was do to disease as i fixed it with some modification of the humidty they were recieving

Peat pellets are an excellent alternative to rapid rooters, I got mine at the dollar store and they worked far better then I could have hoped. Also found them at home depot. Before those I used the old fashioned method of going straight to dirt.

Dwight means gently hold the tip of the plant up while you surround the stem with soil untill only half of an inch of the stem remains uncovered. And then turn your lights on and give her some TLC and she might bounce back.

For watering, a light misting will be all you need for a while (correct me if I'm wrong ladies).

I would guess the seedling isn't getting enough light and is stretching. You didn't mention the wattage of the CFLs or how far away the seedlings are, or what the lumen/lux count is at the plants. Seedlings like to be within inches of low wattage CFLs.

Back
Top Bottom