My poor seedlings are stunted and have weird leaves! Help

M00gle

I sprouted some seeds and all was going well but now their growth seems to be stunted. They will be 2 weeks old tomorrow but are still on their first set of true leaves. In my other grows the second and third set of true leaves had already developed. And now the first set of true leaves is starting to curl downwards. Does anyone have any advice please. Thank you

Background info
Temps= 75-80 degrees
Soil = FF Ocean
Water= distilled
Seeds= Nirvana ak-48

I do occasionally see some gnats but only 1 or 2. And I fed with a very dilute solution of FF grow big because they were growing so slow. But the leaves were curling downward before the feeding.

seedling11.jpg

Leaves on this one are curling quite much and not much growth for being 2 weeks.

seedling21.jpg

This guys leaves aren't curling down as much as the other but growth seems to be very slow

seedling1_2.jpg

Both seedlings together. They are under 2 26watt flouros which is what I start all my plants on before moving to a 400w MH.

Re: My poor seedlings are stunted and have weird leaves!! Help

Way too much hermie talk for me around the site lately. These plants are a lot hardier than some seem to give them credit for. If you get a hermie it's going to take either some crappy genetics or a big screw up but a few little mistakes here and there should be handled just fine. If this wasn't true then new growers would "never" get a harvest. Think about it.:cheesygrinsmiley:
To the OP...What kind of light bulbs are you using? Those things are stretched out to the max! If those are floros they need to be about 2 inches above the tops of the plant. A fan blowing at the space between the plants and lights will help thicken the stalks a little as well as disperse heat some too.

I agree with Racefan and the lighting on top of over-watering. I think Dark was referring to the possibility of stress causing a plant to go hermie.

Ah lots of good advice. Thanks all. But I don't think it's overwatering because I let the soil dry on top couple of inches before watering.

Racefan I'm using 26 watt cool flouros and they are about 2.5 inches from the plants. I'm going to place a fan like you said to strengthen the stalks. Do you guys think they are growing slow for being 2 weeks old?

I used some soil that was used before but only for 2 weeks. So I thought it would be ok... but maybe that is causing them to stress out.

I also don't have them on a constant light schedule because I just do it manually. I have a timer but didn't think it would matter the first 2 weeks. That may also be causing more stress.

ARGH!!! I just hope they can survive because seeds are hard to come by.

How many of those CFL's you got on each plant? It looks like just one on each which is nowhere near enough light. I think thats your problem.

How many of those CFL's you got on each plant? It looks like just one on each which is nowhere near enough light. I think thats your problem.

Yeah I only have one per plant but they are putting out 1400 lumens each. I thought that would be enough to get them at least a couple of sets of true leaves. I'm gonna throw 'em under a 400 watter soon. Do you guys think because I reused some soil that that may be causing the slow growth. I've never seen growth this slow before. Most of the time they grow like weeds... Literally :)

I think you need more light, 2 or 3 bulbs for each.

I'm talkin about Moogle's light's

my bad as well!

I'm talkin about Moogle's light's

Yeah my lights are 26watt cool CFL's. They worked for my last grow and the plants seemed to grow quickly for at least a couple of sets of leaves before I threw them under a 400w HID. That's why i'm confused about this grow. Because they are the same seeds, same lamps.

But anyhow thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to move them under a 400w MH tomorrow.

I dont know if Iam allowed to tell you this on these forums here but here goes, try buying a t-ho5/28. This floro is 2 ft. wide by 2 ft long. Total amount of bulbs is 8x4000lumens=32,000 lumens total. If you use 6 t-6500 bulbs and two 3000 bulbs (RED LIGHT) you will have a balance of sunlight. This will veg up to four plants in a area up to 4x4x7ft. It seem from your posts that you need to build a complte system before you start growing. You will first need light then air in and air out of the area. Then you will need a grow system that you will after time know by the back of your hand. Then your nunts, and most of all what type of strain to grow. But first build a seedlines area then a mothers area then veg, then finnaly the flower room. If anything TAKE YOUR TIME, and DONT half ass rig anything do it right or wait untill you can, this alone will help in understanding your system that you will end up with.Let us know how it turn out? peace.

Yeah i have a pretty good plan for my plants. I always start 'em under the 26t watt CFL's and then move them under a 400. I have a grow tent with carbon filter and hydro fan. So I have a good setup to move them too. Normally from my very limited experience I see more growth before I put them under the HID. But i'll keep you guys updated.

Well my plants still have no new growth really. They are still working on getting their second set of true leaves out and are starting to discolor. They are turning a little yellowish brown. Anyhow I'm giving up on these guys and sprouting some new seeds.

My hypothesis is that the old soil I used may have not had enough nutrients because they started growth really well but then slowed and eventually died. So for my next grow I'm using brand new Ocean forest and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom