Thread: yellowing of leaves. my only baby left is it ok?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yellowing of leaves. my only baby left is it ok?

Here is a picture of the only one left of 5 from my dwc setup. Either ph or bad tap water killed the rest. put it into a new 5 gallon DWC system a day ago. Now looks like this:

temps: 77 F
    light: 400w mh 3 feet away
    humidity: 40%
    distilled water, no nutrients
    10 days after germed seeds planted.

I know the cotelydon leaves are supposed to die, but this early? and the tips of new growths are just the slightest yellow. What should I do?
    Last edited by Keith Lake; 03-13-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: fixed pic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: yellowing of leaves. my only baby left is it ok?

ph looks a little high. That liquid has a greenish tint to it, pushing it up to 6.5 maybe even 7. If anything it should have an orange tint that would be closer to 5.5-6. Red would be too low.

Did you soak those rockwool cubes in anything?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes the rockwool cubes were soaked in a ph of 5.5 (as close as we could get it to the marker at least) for 24 hours.

water was not run through the rockwool though. I read a day ago that they should be run through with water to wash it out.

Post Thanks / Like

what did you actually soak them in? water, a nute solution?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POTential View Post
    what did you actually soak them in? water, a nute solution?
    brought distilled water down to ph 5.5 with phdown. soaked them in that
    Last edited by Marley Man; 05-21-2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: for clarity

Fallen Cannabis Warrior Medical Marijuana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you given any nutes yet?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Moose View Post
    Have you given any nutes yet?
    No nutrients yet. was going to start tomorrow with 1/8 strength or even less.

Fallen Cannabis Warrior Medical Marijuana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Start earlier, I think your seedling is hungry. Start on 50% veg ferts and work up. A dilute fish emulsion and sea tea foliar spray will help. Drop your lights a bit as well.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Moose View Post
    Start earlier, I think your seedling is hungry. Start on 50% veg ferts and work up. A dilute fish emulsion and sea tea foliar spray will help. Drop your lights a bit as well.
    OK. I have pure blend pro grow and bloom. So I guess I will just do half strength of what it says on the bottle. Thanks very much for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marley Man View Post
    OK. I have pure blend pro grow and bloom. So I guess I will just do half strength of what it says on the bottle. Thanks very much for the info
    The baby is stressed and has gone through hell. Id start with a 1/4 strength. If it was 100% healthy it might handle the 50% strength but it's not and too strong a soulution will further shock instead of help.
    All rockwool needs to be pre treated with 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutrients before use. I do it by pre saoking the cubes with a 1/4 strength dose of nutes in a PH of 5.5. Nothing ever needs to be rinsed out either. To do so would wash out the nutes. Rockwool has no natural nutrients and the seedlings need something to feed on from the start.
    You really need to read up on hydroponics. Especially info on your specific choices of mediums which are rockwool and expanded clay balls and your choice of systems which is DWC also called bubblers.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Racefan View Post
    The baby is stressed and has gone through hell. Id start with a 1/4 strength. If it was 100% healthy it might handle the 50% strength but it's not and too strong a soulution will further shock instead of help.
    All rockwool needs to be pre treated with 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutrients before use. I do it by pre saoking the cubes with a 1/4 strength dose of nutes in a PH of 5.5. Nothing ever needs to be rinsed out either. To do so would wash out the nutes. Rockwool has no natural nutrients and the seedlings need something to feed on from the start.
    You really need to read up on hydroponics. Especially info on your specific choices of mediums which are rockwool and expanded clay balls and your choice of systems which is DWC also called bubblers.
    Thanks for the info, I read somewhere that said they should be rinsed before soaking but seems its not necessary. I also read the hydroton also needed to be pretreated, which I also did. hopefully that is not what is hurting it (just found one site saying it didnt need to be treated)
    your help is much appreciated race! thanks a bunch.

if you don't mind me asking, I could never find a real answer for the watering of the seedling. since the water is just a little below the cube, it must be splashing it constantly. Could that be causing over watering?
    Last edited by Marley Man; 05-21-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: clarity