Malathion on budding plants

Cannapheliac

I am growing outside in full California sunshine and unfortunately every catapiller and thrip around seem to be attacking my budding plants I sprayed malathion because I can't afford to lose this crop and the amount of damage was increasing too fast so I had to go nuclear and while I'm sure I killed all the thrips but the lil bastard catapillars seem to still be alive but I'm sure they should die anytime now though.
my ? is this has any1 else used malathion? And how did it work for you?
and if any1 has any other helpful solutions to get rid of my pest?

Is this the Malathion that you got from your local store you should be OK just watch the dilution rates. Here is some information on the chemicals in it...

https://www.amgrow.com.au/msds/Malathon 2008.pdf

It can be very harmful if the instructions are not followed correctly.:smokin:

I did a little more reading and it sounds like in Australia its illeagal or at least they look at it as very harmful...

If you abide by the 7-day withholding period, you will be ok...

Moose, does this mean he should wait 7 days after application/harvest before smoking any of the buds? Does this mean the active ingredient will become benign after 7 days or simply evaporate off cleanly?

I am unfamiliar with this chemical and have been fortunate enough to never need pesticides of any kind... knock on wood. :peace:

Ive also heard that the stuff wasnt good, pretty dangerous. Ive always just stuck to neam for mites, and if I had other bud problems Ide use something organic for eatible plants. But if Moose says its ok after 7 days....Well I believe him.

To each his own. Dangers of Malathion

IMWO, avoid synthetic pesticides. Take the yield hit, overgrow, dehumidify, use more predators, install ultrasonic controls, fog the space (w/o plants) if you must. Even pesticides that break down become other nitrogenous synthetic compounds that don't belong. Often, pesticide residues that are relatively benign if eaten (broken down by stomach acids and enzymes), can have serious long-term health issues when inhaled.

Consider the combustion side-products of the pesticide residues as well. Combustion products are bad. What is the vaporization point of the residues? Plus, when determining public safety, pesticide makers & FDA like to assume that you wash all of your veggies before use. That's also why rat turds and roach legs are allowed in hotdogs.

Smoking pesticide residues concentrates them versus the slow, dilute eating route. When chemicals are inhaled, then First-Pass Metabolism is bypassed, a safety feature of the human body that helps break down poisons and filter out environmental toxins. The products of this safety feature are called metabolites*.

(*Off-Topic: Some metabolites are more potent than their chemical parent, which partially explains why eaten cannabis can be so powerful; the metabolite profile for eaten cannabis is not identical to the one for inhaled cannabis oil. The body often processes compounds differently depending on the route of administration.)

Neem oil is always preferable, but the question was on Malathion. While unsure of the chemistry, I do know that food crops sprayed with Malathion are supposed to be safe to eat after a withholding period of 7 days.

yea ive been spraying weekly with 3in1 neem oil by greenlight since veg but my problem was with catapillers which don't seem to be bothered by the neem oil so I used BT for two weeks at double strength but that didn't even seen to slow the lil f**ckers down! And thrips were starting to infest the damaged areas, so I just wanted to go nuclear while I still have a chance on saving this harvest. My kush harvest anyway, my cheese and Thai barely starred the transition into flower.:grinjoint:

To each his own. Dangers of Malathion

IMWO, avoid synthetic pesticides. Take the yield hit, overgrow, dehumidify, use more predators, install ultrasonic controls, fog the space (w/o plants) if you must. Even pesticides that break down become other nitrogenous synthetic compounds that don't belong. Often, pesticide residues that are relatively benign if eaten (broken down by stomach acids and enzymes), can have serious long-term health issues when inhaled.

Consider the combustion side-products of the pesticide residues as well. Combustion products are bad. What is the vaporization point of the residues? Plus, when determining public safety, pesticide makers & FDA like to assume that you wash all of your veggies before use. That's also why rat turds and roach legs are allowed in hotdogs.

Smoking pesticide residues concentrates them versus the slow, dilute eating route. When chemicals are inhaled, then First-Pass Metabolism is bypassed, a safety feature of the human body that helps break down poisons and filter out environmental toxins. The products of this safety feature are called metabolites*.

(*Off-Topic: Some metabolites are more potent than their chemical parent, which partially explains why eaten cannabis can be so powerful; the metabolite profile for eaten cannabis is not identical to the one for inhaled cannabis oil. The body often processes compounds differently depending on the route of administration.)

Great post Biscanna. +18 reps

Depends on you I had a dealer that I was buying spice from was using malathion for the chemical. I would smoke blunts at a time with shit or even pure chemical. Broke it down with acetone of think too after 3 months I was coughing blood up and having pains in my stomach I detoxified from it and now when I light up not even a bowl iget high as fuck I trip on it like a cartoon but a demonic cartoon. So don't smoke malathion or you'll be as burnt as me.

And near death watch what you smoke. There's so much shit that can go bad with plants and including many mites they get on the bud and die or something I forgot and don't use pesticides grow indoor, or I use bananas peels around the plant seems to keep alot
out

I grew up in Oregon and they spayed the whole city I lived in with malathion spray for mosquitoes. My father sprayed all of our trees with it also.That does not mean it is safe. I would never spray it on my garden and would not use it on weed. Definitely not inside my house. I have over 100 tumors in by body at 60 years old. Fatty tumors? Malathion??
I did make a mixture of steeped tobacco, canola oil, 100 proof vodka, rosemary oil, basil oil extracts, a dash of liquid soap, a little baking soda and a pinch of borax. This will drop a large house fly....I tried it. I also bought 10 pounds of diatomaceous earth and covered the soil and everything else. Not good to breath and very messy when the fans blow. I finally bought neem oil and after finding that you had to heat it and add a dash of soap, I added that too.
I just mixed a gallon of water to 1 tablespoon neem and watered each plant with 1 quart. Plants are in 3 gallon pots. T-5 lights and big CFL's.....only 15 amp circuit breaker. This is only my second grow, so I am learning a lot.

Back
Top Bottom