nutrient burn why?

spazer

I have a grow room 1200mm by 900mm with a 600w hps 8 plants in 4.5 ltr buckets each in cocco i am using cocco/canna as the nutrient solution i'm running low e.c. at .5 and a ph of 6 they are in the budding cycle and still getting nutient burn does anyone no why please.

This is a ongoing prob. this is my second grow first with the same prob it goes on through the whole grow i do regular water flushes.

i have been getting the burnt spots on the larger fan leaves and now on two of them at the top of the two main stems im getting hooking and folding over and also a lot of yellowing but i asume thats from lack of nutrients is a 4.5 ltr pot too small?

01511.JPG

01910.JPG

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/images/overlay-round.gif
0219.JPG
0283.JPG

0294.JPG

0336.JPG

use a cal-mag supplement.

More info...

Calcium (Ca) -Macro Nutrient and an Immobile element.

Calcium is another important element that helps the plants cell walls, cell division in making the plants stems, stalks, branches stronger, as well as contributing to root growth, mostly the newer root hairs, Calcium also helps enhancing the uptake of K in the the plants roots. Calcium moves really slow within the plant and tends to concentrate in roots and older growth.

When plants exhibit a Calcium deficiency the younger leaves are the first to show it as well as older leaves. The Leaf tips will die back, the tips may curl, and growth of the plant is stunted. The plant can show a weakness in the stems and branches, as well as a under developed root system that can lead to bacteria problems with roots dieing off. Having slow plant transpiration rates can aggravate the uptake of calcium. Make sure your soil isn't very acidic, for calcium gets harder to be absorbed through acidic soils, Which leads to having a plant that is deficient in Calcium. The leaf tips, edges and new growth will or may turn a yellow/brown colour that happen in spots and often surrounded by a sharp brown outlined edge and then the leaf tips die back. If too much calcium is given at an early stage of growth it can stunt the growth of your plants. Having to much of calcium will also flocculate when a concentrated form is combined with potassium. The parts affected by a calcium deficiency are the roots. Stem or petiole, young or old leaves.

Too much Calcium will lead to other micronutrient deficiencies. Calcium fixation is caused by many types of mediums such as: clay soils, unbuffered coco and humus. The lime tends to bond to these soils very easily. The stems of the plant will not be able to hold the plant up and will exhibit a white brown in between the veins of the leaves when having too much calcium. Also having to much potassium and or nitrogen will cause a calcium lockout.

Problems with Calcium being locked out by PH troubles

Very acidic soils with excessive potassium, dry and or wet soil. Lack of calcium in the soil may cause too acidic soil. This may cause to Mg or Iron deficiency or very slow stunted growth

Soil

Calcium gets locked out of soil growing at ph levels of 2.0- 6.4
Calcium is absorbed best in soil at a ph level of 6.5-9.1 (Wouldn't recommend having a ph of over 7.0 in soil) anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a
Calcium Deficiency.

Hydro and Soil less Mediums

Calcium gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 2.0- 5.3
Calcium is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 5.4-5.8 (Wouldn't recommend having a ph over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Calcium Deficiency.

Solution to fixing a Calcium deficiency
To fix a calcium deficiency you can treat by foliar feeding with one teaspoon of dolomite lime or Garden lime per quart of water, Or Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have Calcium in them will fix a Calcium deficiency. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!)
Or you can take crushed up dolomite lime or garden lime in a gallon of water and water it in the soil. 1 to 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, which will be slow acting. Garden Gypsum, which is medium absorption. Limestone, which is medium absorption, Rock Phosphate and Animal wastes which are both medium/slow absorption. Note: Caution when using gypsum to an already acid soil (pH that is less than 5.5) can have a very bad effect on different types of plants by effecting the absorption of soil aluminum, which is poison to plant roots.

Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics, (which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) you need to flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.

Source:

i tried to get those kind of e.c. last grow and it just seemed to compound the problem but il give it another go cheers.

would it be too late in the cycle to transplant them into bigger pots, as i was wonder maybe the pots are too small and thats why im having this trouble???

An EC meter measures the electrical conductivity of the water. Clean water has a low EC. When you add nutrients and pH adjusters, the EC will go up. You can use this for measuring how many nutrients can put in the water without causing overfertilization.

EC stands for electrical conductivity. It's a electrical measurement across two pins. Salts (nutrients) allow a easier passage of this electricity so the more nutrient in the solution the more electricity flows the higher the reading. PPM (parts per million) meters read in EC and the meter converts the ec reading to a ppm reading. EC is more acurate than ppm meters but the difference is really next to nothing.

i tried to get those kind of e.c. last grow and it just seemed to compound the problem but il give it another go cheers.

would it be too late in the cycle to transplant them into bigger pots, as i was wonder maybe the pots are too small and thats why im having this trouble???
How big are the containers now and how big are the plants? The rule of thumb is 1 gallon of soil for every foot of plant. Bump up the nutes slowly. Don't stunt them with a blast of nutrients. It will shock them and then you'll be fighting that too. What is your ventilation like?

The containers are 4.5 ltr and plants are about a meter tall so i think they are a bit small.
iv bumped the nutes up to .7 for two waters so il see how that goes, if i bump them up
.1 ec every second water (im watering every two too three days) should that be ok do you think?
not sure how much air my fan moves but its 250mm diameter an from the hydro shop so i think its ok for the area.

The pots were to small thus being root bound and creating a deficencey because i couldn't give enough nutrient without burning them cheers for all your help.:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom