Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sudden Appearance of Brown Spots and Scaling - What's Wrong?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sudden Appearance of Brown Spots and Scaling - What's Wrong?

Hi Gro. I was told to dissolve the epsom salts in warm water, then add that to my reservoir. I used the equivalent of 75 ml of liquid which is about 1/4th of a cup dissolved in one gallon of water. I read that it will not up your ppm greatly, and it didn't, or add nitrate salts to your mix. To be honest though gro, I'm pretty sure if it was a factor, it was a minor one. The GH nutes have the Mg. that I thought the epsom salts would add already. I'm very confident it was the lower t.d.s. in my res. that is doing the trick. 1100 for clones or seeds is just nutty. Look at the recommended levels from your nute mfg. In clone or seedling the GH recommended level is 2.5 ml per US gal. of each of the 3 different nutes.(grow,bloom, and Micro)
    That brings my reservoir to 400-450 ppm. I'm using less water and nutes in early veg, so my res is only at a 20 gal level. Fast forward to bloom which calls for 15b,10m,5g, ml per gallon and my 50 gal res is at about 1000-1100 ppm. Now when I check my pH and tds levels I can make my adjustments to keep my tds level about 1100. If my reservoir is down 4 gal. but my tds level is still around 1100, I know I need to add mostly water and not much nutes, or vice versa. In the past I was adding top off solution to my res at 1/3 the rate. It's worked ok, but more control is better. My ladies are still looking real good
    and no crispy dying leaves at all. The Fruity Juice is so tasty! I couldn't be more excited about this next go-round cuz it's already my best effort and my girls look like they should be in a magazine. Good luck gro!

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi gro. I just wanted to follow up on my last thread and explain myself better about the tds levels because I sounded too high in the last post.
    If you follow G.H.'s recommended levels @ 2.5 ml per gal that's 7.5 ml per gallon. In a 50 gallon res. you would have 375 ml of nutrient solution. GH recommends 15,10,5, for bloom rates. Thats 30 ml per gallon of solution which is equal to 1500 ml of nutes in my 50 gallon res. There's no reason that you would have 1100 for clones if you followed the nutrient charts. I'm not one to 2nd guess your mentor, but the bottom line is that it's your garden, you pay the bills, you should make the decesion to lower the tds numbers just with the math that I tried to explain above I've tried to help my friends to learn the basics, but out of 7 buddies, only 1 has been successful. I wish I had someone like you who listens to what their teacher tried to tell them, but I tried to stay out of the way and only make suggestions because it was their grow. I had a friend who wanted to cut off every fan leaf at 25 days into bloom. I strongly suggested he didn't and even told him what was likely to happen, but he did it anyway. Needless to say, his yield was pitiful. His garden, his decisions. Maybe 1100 is good in your mentors garden, but gro buddy, it sounds like it's not working in yours. Have your teacher do the math, that way it's not just an opinion, but a fact.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Drum,

I have him convinced, and we are doing 2.5mls, between 450-550ppm for both the veg table and the veg pots...I will skip the epsom salts...

Curious, I spoke with him today about trimming leaves, he says not in veg, but halfway thru the 2 month bloom, he likes to trim, so that the bottom gets lite. I have read not to trim, but he says you get better yields this way, instead of just bigger tops. (I think he meant top buds)

We'll see...

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow gro, that's fast. Swift like a fox. Pruning seems to be a big debate with everyone I talk to. I like to tuck the big fan leaves out of the way if they get to greedy. Most of my fan leaves suffered the same problem you have had and usually there was no need to prune any of them if they were healthy. I do however take the lower limbs on all my plants to leave @ 6" from the base to the 1st limb. I do that shortly after insertion into the bloom room. In my room, those buds rarely get good quality light and don't grow real big, but take a lot of the plants energy. When I finally listened to some advice and took all that lower stuff for clones or whatever, my yield increased greatly. Increased air flow is a huge benefit once those big ol buds start forming, as well as being able to see the plants and access to the lower buds. It works for my situation. I'm glad to hear your gonna try lowering the levels. Keep me posted and I'll try to take pics to post.
    Good lUck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12