HELP!What is this and how can I fix it? (Pics included)HELP!

Smokeyjoe

I noticed the other day that the older leaves on my plant were yellowing and starting to get brownish spots on them. I know yellowing in flower is normal but this isn't. The leaves are becoming brittle. I actually broke one blade in half on one leaf by bumping it.This plant is about 36 days into 12/12 and has been fed fox farms nutes according to the feed schedule, last feed was tiger bloom, big bloom and cha ching. Did I over fert? This has gotten MUCH worse overnight, should I start flushing it? This is only apparent on one plant atm. Any ideas?
What_could_this_be_001.JPG

What_could_this_be_002.JPG

What_could_this_be_004.JPG

What_could_this_be_005.JPG

What_could_this_be_006.JPG

Looking for anyone that has experienced something like this or has seen it diagnosed before succesfully. I am hoping I can just flush it out before it eats the whole plant!

Re: HELP!!What is this and how can I fix it? (Pics included)HELP!!

That's low, man. Looks like you have a nute deficiency caused by low PH.

You say you're using a peat based medium? If so, you need to add some lime to bring up the PH. You need to be a little above 6 (6.2-6.3 is normally good) in peat based medium.

Sprinkle a tbls of powdered Dolomite lime over the surface, scratch it in and water normally. That will raise your PH over a day or two. Do it again if necessary. Hydrated lime is much faster acting, while dolomite lime is slower acting and preferred if you have it.

The damage won't go away but you'll notice a stop in the progression of the deficiency.

An emergency flush would be a last resort attempt to correct things.

Good luck!!

:peace:

Harry

Hi SmokeyJoe. What medium are you using? My fan leaves start looking similar to that at the end of my bloom cycle, but mine is more than likely a heat issue becuase of my low cieling. Flushing was a smart move in either soil or hydro. If it is just a few older leaves on one arm of a mature plant that seems otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. I try to prune them off when they start dying, but sometimes they will get to the point that is shown in your photo in my garden as well. The end product wasn't affected by the ugliness of the leaves.
If this is a new strain for you to grow, it could be just the way that plant disposes of the used leaves. Good luck, and please let me know what the outcome of your grow is.

First off thanks Harry and drumlove!
I am actually using FF Ocean forest. I am guessing soil ph should be 6.5 ish? And just to be sure we are talking ph from the runoff correct?:thanks:

I don't have any Lime available but I might be able to wrangle some up tomorrow. This is a new strain to me but I have another of this strain (much bigger) that is at the same stage of flower and its bigger older fan leaves are slowly yellowing as you would expect.

I think Harry is probably on to something and since I will be doing soil a few more times the lime would probably be a good thing to have.:rollit:

Just picked up some (Lilly Miller) "Super Sweet" the only problem is that it is in granulated form not powdered.

Why Lilly Miller Super Sweet?

Many types of lime can be used to correct this situation. The efficiency of the liming material depends primarily on the fineness of the product. Powdery hydrated lime acts quickly, but is difficult to handle. Coarse lime spreads well, but take months or years to get to work.

How it Works

Super Sweet is ground very fine then made into an easy to handle and apply prill. This prill quickly dissolves when water is applied.

So before I spend the rest of the afternoon grinding this crap into powder, am I wasting my time? Those descriptions are quotes from the Lilly Miller website. So will applying it as is, scratching it into the dirt then watering be sufficient or should I get back out on the porch with my 5 lb dumbbell and keep grinding it into powder?

Hydrated lime does act quickly so be careful with that stuff. I'd say use it sparingly until you get a feel for it. I've never used the hydrated variety but I hear it can burn.

Espoma sells dolomite at all the major hardware chains for only a few $$ a bag. It's in pellet form as well and very hard to crush. I use a cheap old coffee grinder, which makes quick work of it.

Harry

The plant I am trying to doctor up is in a very small pot 2.6L to be exact which is less than 1 gallon (1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liters.) I have some ground into powder but I am not sure at what rate to apply it. I assume hydrated is easier to burn with because it comes in "prill" form which in theory could over release with to much water and burn the plant. Did my grinding it into powder reduce that chance of OD?
I was thinking 1/4 tsp of powder for the little pot.?
The rest of my pots are 3.8 Gallon and I am not sure how much to use. Any thoughts or just slow and steady?

I use 1-2 tbls of powdered dolomite for a 5 gallon bucket so I imagine 1/4 tsp would be fine for a 1 gallon pot. Give it a shot if it does well, extrapolate to determine how much to use for the larger pots. If it didn't raise it enough, add another 1/4 tsp and go again. ;)

Do give it a little time though to act though...

If you're like me, you learn best by experimentation and trail & error. :grinjoint:

Harry

Roger that Harry! I appreciate the help man. I have read a couple of your journals and seen the results, very impressive. Well off to the grow room, I think I just heard a timer click lol!

Back
Top Bottom