Too much or not enough food?

420NLguy

The leaves started showing signs of turning brown at the tips, and curling upward, at day 22. I had moved the Jiffy pots to 6" pots (using same type of soil) at day 15.

I can't tell if they are N-deficient or what. I use 6400K CFL bulbs about 2.5" away, getting about 3000 lumens/sq. ft. One bulb for each plant. I water sparingly to not drown them. Fan on constantly. Lights on 18/6 cycle. Temp a steady 26-28C. Humidity 69%. Using Northern Lights seeds.

Here is a photo of one plant.
cat

Any help will be appreciated. This is my very first grow. Growth is very very slow. At day 25, maybe 3" tall.

The leaves started showing signs of turning brown at the tips, and curling upward, at day 22. I had moved the Jiffy pots to 6" pots (using same type of soil) at day 15.

I can't tell if they are N-deficient or what. I use 6400K CFL bulbs about 2.5" away, getting about 3000 lumens/sq. ft. One bulb for each plant. I water sparingly to not drown them. Fan on constantly. Lights on 18/6 cycle. Temp a steady 26-28C. Humidity 69%. Using Northern Lights seeds.

Here is a photo of one plant.
Day_22_-_plant_1-B.JPG

Any help will be appreciated. This is my very first grow. Growth is very very slow. At day 25, maybe 3" tall.

What kind of soil? What pH? What are you feeding and how much, how often?

The soil is called Black Soil (actually translation from Spanish "Tierra Negra" -- I'm in Panama). It is supposed to grow anything.

I don't know the pH. I am still trying to find a pH meter here.

I didn't feed them anything until day 22. Then a dose of Nitrogen from a product called Forza liquid folliate (it's nothing but Nitrogen). I diluted it per instructions and gave it 1 oz of that on day 22. I then gave it 2 oz more on day 25. I was getting desperate to see if it would change anything. No change noticed.

That soil you're using looks like it may be quite dense and probably compacted. Makes hard work for that little girls roots.

I'd carefully scoop your baby out, remix the soil with perlite and ease her back in. The type of soil you're using will veg that girl up great with no added nutes until she's big and strong.

Don't over water! More plants die from that than from neglect. Put the pot in a tray and let the soil suck up what it needs. The soil should feel dry for the first inch or so from the top. Keeps a lot of bugs at bay that way.

If all you can get is fish fertilizer or Schultz 20 20 20 use that over whatever the hell that Forza crap is.

You can save that stuff for when the girls are rockin' and a little extra N can give them a rush.

One of my buddies uses only Alaska Fish fertilizer which comes in Grow and Bloom versions bottom-fed in 5Gal pails filled with 75/25% Pro-Mix/perlite.

The grow room smells a bit like a cannery but the flowering room is a kaleidoscope of odors from the five strains blooming at any time.

I've got my old mother Kali and one of the new Kush girls growing in the same stuff so I can see how they taste and feel compared to the same plants in DWC with hydro nutes. Only a month or so to wait.

Interesting. I wondered that myself (about the soil being too compacted). But the soil has tiny bits of sticks and stones here and there, like real dirt. I tried finding perlite here (in Panama), but just can't find it. I'm stuck with either Black Soil (which is dirt cheap: $1.25 for a 14 lb bag) or Jiffy potting soil ($10.50 for 7 lb bag).

You think I've over-watered? I was giving the 2.5" Jiffy pots about 15 mL of water 1 or 2 times a day, then use 1 oz of water each day after moving to 6" pots, then 4 oz every other day after they grew more, and now about 12 oz every 3 days or so.

Yeah, I am now using Miracle Gro All Purpose (20-20-20), but only used it once (3 days ago), and I think I see a big difference now. So I will use it every 10 days or so to water the plants.

I'm learning as I go. My first time. They are Norther Lights seeds. I started with 5 seeds. All 5 germinated, so moved them to Jiffy pots. One keeled over, so left with 4. One of those 4 is doing pretty well, and the 3 others look like they are starting to get their legs back after a shot of Miracle Gro. It's been 4 weeks since putting seeds to water, but only 20 days since first leaf sprung out. Tallest is about 4" now, others about 3".

That soil you're using looks like it may be quite dense and probably compacted. Makes hard work for that little girls roots.

I'd carefully scoop your baby out, remix the soil with perlite and ease her back in. The type of soil you're using will veg that girl up great with no added nutes until she's big and strong.

Don't over water! More plants die from that than from neglect. Put the pot in a tray and let the soil suck up what it needs. The soil should feel dry for the first inch or so from the top. Keeps a lot of bugs at bay that way.

If all you can get is fish fertilizer or Schultz 20 20 20 use that over whatever the hell that Forza crap is.

You can save that stuff for when the girls are rockin' and a little extra N can give them a rush.

One of my buddies uses only Alaska Fish fertilizer which comes in Grow and Bloom versions bottom-fed in 5Gal pails filled with 75/25% Pro-Mix/perlite.

The grow room smells a bit like a cannery but the flowering room is a kaleidoscope of odors from the five strains blooming at any time.

I've got my old mother Kali and one of the new Kush girls growing in the same stuff so I can see how they taste and feel compared to the same plants in DWC with hydro nutes. Only a month or so to wait.

Back
Top Bottom