Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light green spots?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Light green spots?

I went back and looked at the high-res photos on my big ol' 50" monitor (hard to miss details when the pics are THAT big lol) that I took a few days ago on the fifth and I see no sign of the current damage. Since the pH imbalance issue I mentioned was two weeks ago and it didn't show up in those pics now I'm a bit more sure that some stray water got on to the leaves and burned them. The last time I watered I watered them an hour before the lights went off to see if they might prefer that. Maybe I somehow got some splash on the leaves and didn't notice...and as I mentioned before I did mist them at some point in the last few days.

Until I get my meter I'll consider this a closed case...if my pH levels are out of whack I'll post more details though. You guys and gal rock!

Post Thanks / Like

Well...got my pH meter today and since the plants are having nap-time I figured I'd double-check the calibration (spot on) and test the distilled water I have. Turns out the distilled water is 7.7...now I REALLY want to check the soil!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, disregard my last post...I was on a learning curve with that meter.

The distilled water was 7.1, so is my tap water but who knows what kind of garbage is in THAT. My last soil run-off was 6.8 so not too bad. See my journal for the most recent pics.

30+ hours after watering yesterday I have noticed that Freja's pot is just as heavy as it was yesterday whereas Ms. Robinson's is noticeably lighter. The only thing I have been able to find that would hinder water absorption is excessive salt levels but I find it very odd that considering all three plants have had the exact same treatment since day one that one is suddenly experiencing elevated salt levels. ESPECIALLY when you consider I have added absolutely zero, zilch, nada, no nutrients and they've been feeding solely off of what was in the FFOF soil.

So, fearing that the roots would begin to have a lack of good ol' O2 I sterilized a screwdriver with 70% isopropyl alcohol and aerated the soil in both pots of the larger plants.

However even though there is a lack of water absorption with Freja she does not appear over-watered, no drooping leaves or anything. Someone else pointed out to me (I'll leave them nameless, if they want to make it known they can post here ) that it almost appears like I have an iron deficiency due to the lime green color of the new growth and some other things. However, the new growth has been this color on all three plants the entire time and as it gets a little older it turns a normal shade of green.

Then after wracking their brain some more they were reminded of a post where wild pH swings would cause similar symptoms with the spotting and drooping. Now my question, which I posed to them as well, is since my pH has been steady the last two weeks would the high pH I experienced for a few days after transplanting at the one week mark just now be showing up? As I mentioned this seems to be affecting the older fan leaves only, the new growth appears to be fine.

I'm still not spazzing out but am [b]very[b] curious as to what is causing my current issues. As I mentioned in my journal it's almost like some of the leaves were experiencing burn/high heat issues but since I'm using CFL's I find that hard to believe. I can usually hold the bulbs and I have sensitive fingers when it comes to heat and am able to hold my hand right underneath them for a long period without becoming uncomfortable.

Things that make you go hmmm, indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the new growth looks good, then you should be good. Your case is very puzzling for me. lol... Which doesn't happen much. ;-)

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

looks like water spots left behind from watering under the light.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm going to consider that a good thing since it would explain my difficulty in researching to pin down an explanation. I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out on my own with the proper resources but this is confusing the heck out of me too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drdanks View Post
    looks like water spots left behind from watering under the light.
    That's what I was starting to think too but it's spreading a bit even though I have not done anything that could do such a thing in over a week, I water just prior to lights off (will change next watering as I have been informed that this could make it easier for mold/fungi to take hold), and there are other symptoms that don't match up.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ill tell ya, my little ladys sun leaves got burnt cause of my dumb ass, to close to the oversized light, anyhow, the leaves calmed down straightened out but the burn marks will never heal. i also got a couple drops on the same leaves, again my dumb ass being careless...burnt the babes, the leaf has fully recovered but the spots are still there.
    Last edited by drdanks; 06-13-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: wrong pic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12