PTSD and MJ, curing my input overload

Taurus907

I suffer from service related PTSD and Social Anxiety. It usually begins to manifest itself in what I call "Input Overload" where the normal stimuli around me will send me into a panic or worse, sometimes an anger driven state of mind which I take out on those around me. I have taken/tried a combo of Prizac, Paxil, Zoloft, and therapy since 2001 to try and manage my "behavior" if you will. I did find Paxil to be helpful but the side effects are painful and quite odd including IBS, Severe weight gain, the overwhelming urge to stop taking my meds, and drastically lowered inhibitions.
I finally found a therapist who is an old hippie and he suggested I try MJ. I had been smoking off and on since I was about 15 but never tried it as a medication. The withdrawals from Paxil were a nightmare, the worst was the shocking feeling that ran up my spine into my head....and yes I tapered off as recommended. Now I was unable to get a medical recommendation but here is what I have found from "self medication". The input overload still happens but while using MJ I am able to recognize the trigger before or just prior to it affecting me. In other words the racing thoughts are slowed just enough to allow me to rationalize what is ACTUALLY happening or about to happen. It has been such a relief and my wife although not a total advocate, appreciates the
good things it does for me. She has always stood by me but she now says its
easier to do knowing that "I'm mellow" and wont have a negative reaction to a
door slamming or sitting in a restaraunt full of people...although I still have to
have my car parked nose out and sit with my back to the wall (For a quick
exit should a "situation" arise)

I know it sounds crazy but if you met me you probably couldnt even tell I carry this burden.

Thank (your) god for old hippie therapists and for Cannibas Sativa.

Re: PTSD and MJ, curing my "input overload"

Sorry for the broken lines and odd carriage returns, posting from the IPhone is a pain once the paragraphs get long winded

It is great that you have found a way to alleviate your anxiety. I know from personal experience that anxiety can be an extrememly debilitating illness.

Hey Taurus907! First welcome to the 420 community.

Second your story comes quite close to mine as well. I suffer from alot of the same things including some physical injuries. I am all too familiar with your term "input overload" ie: the racing thoughts.

They can really destroy your life and sometimes you don't even realize it. At least I never thought I was doing anything wrong. I always just thought it was the people around me just purposely driving me nuts. :grinjoint: I myself have learned my triggers and found that using mj slows me down to what I consider a normal level.

Same story bud the wife is extremely happy I have mmj and in fact she wishes I wouldn't even take occasional tolerance breaks. I have some borderline OCD or maybe it's just a fear but taking any kind of rx anymore just bothers me. It seems almost like my health has went downhill since all these places started throwing meds at me.

It is so nice to know your triggers and I think it's smart you set up an emergency exit when your out. So if anything it sounds like you are learning what gets you going, so the rest is downhill from there bud.

Best of luck to you with your journey and hope everything falls in place for ya. Same thing here heck of a guy to know unless you disrespect my family or myself.

Make sure you keep the old hippie therapist. Sounds like you hit the lotto. :grinjoint:

Makes me feel good to hear others with the same problems that i have, iam not alone hehe. The MJ really does help u understand wtf is going in your head better, it has goten to the point where i can laugh off some the crazy shit my brain thinks up for my viewing pleasure.

Up until I decided to substitute all other forms of self medicating with marijuana (whether prescribed legal or illegal) I did not live a secure, productive, or stable life. PTSD says, "This is too hard and the pain is too much to bear, I can't take it anymore," Marijuana makes life less difficult and makes the pain bearable. PTSD says, "GET READY YOU MAY HAVE TO KILL," Marijuana says, "There's absolutely no reason to even think you will need to kill in this situation." PTSD says, "I'm going to make you see painful things that you don't want to see and feel painful things you don't want to feel," Marijuana cures nausea and says, "Bring it on...I think I'll just stay calm, hang on and enjoy the ride."
yep. I thank God for marijuana.

the subject of PTSD interests me because i have it. i was in WW2 as a small child. i lived with my granparents in an apartment block and we had to run down 3 flights of stairs to reach the bomb shelter. after several times we were evacuated to a small village. i remember the sounds of the planes which threw those bombs, and the whistling sounds of the bombs dropping. i remember the fear in the people's faces. i am now 74 and still have backflashes and once or twice a year i have a nightmare where i see the planes coming overhead and i am running for shelter. those days i was given medicine so i could sleep, i cried alot.
we got a friend who is a vietnam vet and he freaks out when he hears or sees any helicopters. he says that smoking a few joints helps him with this.
pot doesn't agree with me, so i don't use it. but now i am on tranquilizers since our property got raided by the cops and i got locked in a jail cell for 4 hours. i panicked and freaked out. my ww2 ptsd came back with a vengeance. my hubby and one guy here with us are both on legal mmj but the other guy grew too many plants. the guy is gone, but my hubby will have to buy his meds from some grower. he has constant backpains and cancer, he is skin and bones already. i may not have him much longer and enjoy every moment with him now. government and police are so freaking unsympathetic. just like machines, they have no feelings. but life is short, and we will be judged on the other side for the goodness of our hearts. our excuse that we just "followed orders" won't fly.

Hey guys I just skimmed the threads and replies. I do, however have one question for u guys. How does your medicinal use effect your VA claims and treatment. It is turning into a pretty heated battle between my doctor and me. I also have had ptsd, TBI and several mood and adjustment disorders that are all service related. Im just curious if they are going to give me shit about smoking for the rest of my life or will they finally drop it? I only have a lab every once and a while but its not worth it to me to quit for even a short time. Well anyways im glad to see that its helping others with the same problems I have. Its kinda hard to explain to someone how MJ helps me when they have no idea what im even going through.

Oh and I also forgot to add I do not Have a card and its not legal in my state.

Hey guys I just skimmed the threads and replies. I do, however have one question for u guys. How does your medicinal use effect your VA claims and treatment. It is turning into a pretty heated battle between my doctor and me. I also have had ptsd, TBI and several mood and adjustment disorders that are all service related. Im just curious if they are going to give me shit about smoking for the rest of my life or will they finally drop it? I only have a lab every once and a while but its not worth it to me to quit for even a short time. Well anyways im glad to see that its helping others with the same problems I have. Its kinda hard to explain to someone how MJ helps me when they have no idea what im even going through.

hey 11Bravo,

I have done some research about the topic of VA allowing MMJ to be used my patient. to break it down it comes to if the state allows it or not. if the state says that MMJ can be used in that state then the VA will allow their patients to use MMJ. and jus that same if the state doesnt allow it.

The best thing to do is not even tell your doctor, I had a doctor tell me it causes brain damage, needless to say I had it out with him and called him an idiot, the VA is also federal, so shhhhhhh! And to the OP, I also suffer from PTSD, most people don't understand how bad it is to live with, if I don't have valium or weed I jump when the phone rings, I get real aggitated, I've ended up in the psych ward at the VA 3 times since June, the last time I threatened to kill my neighbor with a machete! Keep yer head up and stay high!

hey 11Bravo,

I have done some research about the topic of VA allowing MMJ to be used my patient. to break it down it comes to if the state allows it or not. if the state says that MMJ can be used in that state then the VA will allow their patients to use MMJ. and jus that same if the state doesnt allow it.

No the VA won't, they are the federal government, I've already had it out with them!

The VA seems to be coming around. I am a Dual-Diagnosis AOD Counselor, Vet ('78-'83 - 67th ARRS, no not a PJ, I just fixed Jolly Greens and Pigs in Space's Nav Systems...lol..but they are my heroes and 18th TFW). If you go to Veterans for Medical Marijuana it will show you a timeline of the progressive correspondences related to the VA Decision. If you live in a sane state that has State MedCann programs, you can tell your physician and he will enter the MedCann into the "non-VA Medication" file. They cannot refuse your participation in AOD Programs, Pain Mgmt, etc.

If you live in a non-MedCann state, you are out of luck and have to do it surreptitiously, but it also depends on your physician, and/or the Rx Nurse Pract. I am living in OH (yeah, I know, pretty bacwards, but OH and MV NORML are trying their best), but I have told both my psychologist, Nurse Pract, and new physician that I use it to help with my Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. It also presents an opportunity for you to do some clinician education. They are cool, but they know the admin law. If you carry MedCann on Fed property, you can be arrested/prosecuted.

The tide is turning ever so slowly. Join NORML, both national and local chptrs. Learn as much as you can. Veterans DO have clout. Sixteen states now have legalized MedCann, and another 10 will hopefully have the laws by 2012.

Then I believe that the tipping pt will happen and maybe the National Feds will give up...(yeah, right). It will eventually happen, but we all need to work it, work it, work it.

I have had many patients/clients, both Vets and civilians (IHS, NAHC and on the Rez) who have been helped by MedCann. It helps with the PTSD Criteria B (intrusive thoughts/re-experiencing/nightmares),C (avoidance, etc) and D (hyperarousal, etc); as well as helping harder RX Dependence withdrawals, etc.

Doksha Ake

Thanks for your service fellas. I too have PTSD, I found after a few years I was sabotaging relationships, go from cool kid to killer in nothing flat and the VA tried to get me to take a fist full or SSRIs that made my head crazy. I started using MJ and I can deal with everything so much better without all the side effects. I live in Iowa, so its not a legal state yet. I talked to my Doc about it, and she told me I was doing more damage than good. So I asked her how. She didn't have much response to that. So hear I am, 4 years with my current GF and doing well. Now if this economy would just get healthy again.

Take care everyone, and Thanks again!

Sorry for being so late, but news alert vets, do not attempt to use or ask the Veterans Adminstration (2011) for or to recommend MJ. They are fed and you the vet risk benefits if you do. I'm a vet, in a legal state and do not mention it to my VA provider.
We all went through the (gov) system have we forgot so soon on how US feels about MJ, some of the shirts making the rules?

One of my best friends is a doctor, but he is not My doctor.
He is sort of straight, don't get high because it is illegal.

However, he claims that MMJ could be used to replace pretty much all of the ant-depressants and many other drugs manufactured. His biggest reason is the the side effects of the prescription drugs.

Thank you for sharing your story. It didn't take me long after starting to smoke to realize that marijuana alleviated my PTSD.

It's been nearly 5 years since I was forced to quit smoking. It was either that or lose my freedom, my family, and my way of life. I've continued to support the cause (because they can't take away my right to my opinion), but the motivation and inspiration I received from the actual use of cannabis is gone. And so, the racing thoughts are back. The reliving & rehashing & re-analyzing & re-evaluating of the past are back. My ability to move past it and make something more of my life is gone. After living with PTSD for over 10 years with no hope of salvation, to find peace from this burden and to have regained control of my life and my thoughts and my feelings, only to have it taken away from me is a weight that I can't manage any more. I got to taste happiness for 10 years. Sometimes (actually, it's most times now), I wish I had never gotten to feel it, because knowing that it's possible but that I'm not allowed to have it is killing me.

:goodjob:
I suffer from service related PTSD and Social Anxiety. It usually begins to manifest itself in what I call "Input Overload" where the normal stimuli around me will send me into a panic or worse, sometimes an anger driven state of mind which I take out on those around me. I have taken/tried a combo of Prizac, Paxil, Zoloft, and therapy since 2001 to try and manage my "behavior" if you will. I did find Paxil to be helpful but the side effects are painful and quite odd including IBS, Severe weight gain, the overwhelming urge to stop taking my meds, and drastically lowered inhibitions.
I finally found a therapist who is an old hippie and he suggested I try MJ. I had been smoking off and on since I was about 15 but never tried it as a medication. The withdrawals from Paxil were a nightmare, the worst was the shocking feeling that ran up my spine into my head....and yes I tapered off as recommended. Now I was unable to get a medical recommendation but here is what I have found from "self medication". The input overload still happens but while using MJ I am able to recognize the trigger before or just prior to it affecting me. In other words the racing thoughts are slowed just enough to allow me to rationalize what is ACTUALLY happening or about to happen. It has been such a relief and my wife although not a total advocate, appreciates the
good things it does for me. She has always stood by me but she now says its
easier to do knowing that "I'm mellow" and wont have a negative reaction to a
door slamming or sitting in a restaraunt full of people...although I still have to
have my car parked nose out and sit with my back to the wall (For a quick
exit should a "situation" arise)

I know it sounds crazy but if you met me you probably couldnt even tell I carry this burden.

Thank (your) god for old hippie therapists and for Cannibas Sativa.

Back
Top Bottom