PTSD by Manzar

Julie Gardener

PTSD by "Manzar"​

I was diagnosed with PTSD in 1988, as a direct result of my involvement in the Viet Nam war. My symptoms were typical. Night sweats, depression, flash backs, rage and suicidal ideations.

As I grew into my 30's, attempts at self-medication, mainly through the use of alcohol, were becoming disastrous. Lost jobs, relationships and self-esteem had all taken their toll. Somehow I was able to maintain a successful sales career during the day, while falling into a drunken state at night. By the age of 40, the two life styles began to merge and I opted for alcohol rehabilitation. With the absence of "MY medication", the symptoms became worse to the point of admission to a VA hospital for treatment. Three months later I was diagnosed with chronic PTSD, depression and suicidal tendencies. The next 11 years were a merry-go-round of psychotropic drugs, VA hospital stays (as long as a year at a time), cops, incarcerations, legal problems, involuntary commitments in mental wards, and suicide attempts.

In 1999, I visited another vet with whom I had developed a relationship in a year long stay at a VA hospital. He seemed to be doing surprisingly well, and I asked him for the secret to his success. He informed me that he had started smoking marijuana. This did not appeal to me due to the illegality and the subculture involved, but his recovery was truly remarkable.

In consultation with my psychiatrist, I was slowly weaned from my daily dose of 45-50 pills a day (Lithium, Prozac, trazodone, Ativan, Valium etc.) over a six- month period.

I started smoking marijuana three years ago with immediate results. Today, I take no medications and my symptoms are manageable. I live a relatively normal life. I am active both socially and in my church. My marriage is restored and I am productive once again. Butt alas I have to keep my "Secret" hidden.

I smoke one or two joints a night, in the confines of my home. I never leave the house after I light up and never drive under the influence, but the threat of law enforcement is ever present. I guess that is a price I will pay for my own well- being.

Obviously, my results are anecdotal, but I have seen similar results in other vets who experience the debilitating effects of PTSD. I would encourage more research into this area just for the potential benefits it might propose. I have made my choice and the benefits far out weigh the stereotypes and the bias of marijuana use. As a person suffering from long-term, chronic PTSD any relief is welcome relief. I keep my "Secret" to myself and I am sure that you will respect my confidentiality.

Sincerely,
"Manzar"

Source: Comments and Observations

Re: PTSD by "Manzar"

PTSD by "Manzar"​

I was diagnosed with PTSD in 1988, as a direct result of my involvement in the Viet Nam war. My symptoms were typical. Night sweats, depression, flash backs, rage and suicidal ideations.

As I grew into my 30's, attempts at self-medication, mainly through the use of alcohol, were becoming disastrous. Lost jobs, relationships and self-esteem had all taken their toll. Somehow I was able to maintain a successful sales career during the day, while falling into a drunken state at night. By the age of 40, the two life styles began to merge and I opted for alcohol rehabilitation. With the absence of "MY medication", the symptoms became worse to the point of admission to a VA hospital for treatment. Three months later I was diagnosed with chronic PTSD, depression and suicidal tendencies. The next 11 years were a merry-go-round of psychotropic drugs, VA hospital stays (as long as a year at a time), cops, incarcerations, legal problems, involuntary commitments in mental wards, and suicide attempts.

In 1999, I visited another vet with whom I had developed a relationship in a year long stay at a VA hospital. He seemed to be doing surprisingly well, and I asked him for the secret to his success. He informed me that he had started smoking marijuana. This did not appeal to me due to the illegality and the subculture involved, but his recovery was truly remarkable.

In consultation with my psychiatrist, I was slowly weaned from my daily dose of 45-50 pills a day (Lithium, Prozac, trazodone, Ativan, Valium etc.) over a six- month period.

I started smoking marijuana three years ago with immediate results. Today, I take no medications and my symptoms are manageable. I live a relatively normal life. I am active both socially and in my church. My marriage is restored and I am productive once again. Butt alas I have to keep my "Secret" hidden.

I smoke one or two joints a night, in the confines of my home. I never leave the house after I light up and never drive under the influence, but the threat of law enforcement is ever present. I guess that is a price I will pay for my own well- being.

Obviously, my results are anecdotal, but I have seen similar results in other vets who experience the debilitating effects of PTSD. I would encourage more research into this area just for the potential benefits it might propose. I have made my choice and the benefits far out weigh the stereotypes and the bias of marijuana use. As a person suffering from long-term, chronic PTSD any relief is welcome relief. I keep my "Secret" to myself and I am sure that you will respect my confidentiality.

Sincerely,
"Manzar"

Source: Comments and Observations

Manzar... I have a good friend ... Iraqi war vet... who suffered major physical injuries when his Humvee overturned. Subsequently he spent a couple of years in rehab - for his injuries- and has since, been discharged from the Army. He has been prescribed numerous medications for pain and symptoms of PTSD. Are their any Veterans groups in existence which stand united for the legalization of cannabis, so that it can be prescribed to the vets as a medicinal option for pain relief?

Thanks,

TVA.

Ahhhh flashbacks of VA/Menlo Park...... Diagnosed in 96'. I was wondering if there was a particular strain(s) best suited for PTSD symptoms?

Just starting my own grows so now is the time to put it on order :)

WG

Hi wizgrow,

I treated my son for PTSD. I used Blue Dream and Harlequin. Sativa dominate worked exceptionally well. The flowers was converted to cannabis concentrated oil. 1 gram lasted almost a month. 1oz of Blue Dream and 1oz of Harlequin put into the mixing container before the quick wash was done. Sativa works excellent on PTSD so the mind doesn't dwell (depression). Also Blue Dream is a hybrid with Indica also so it treats anxiety/panic attacks also. Most vets with PTSD unfortunately are on pain meds, upstair meds, as well from inactivity (not saying you) and need the harlequin for inflammation/pain/anti-convulsion properties. You have to be completely stealth in Texas, check out the teenager who made some brownies using concentrate instead of flowers-they want to slam him with life in prison/death penalty. Probably just wanted to tout the best brownies around, someone got a anxiety panic attack and turned him in or snitched off (no one knows those exact details as they haven't been released and is speculation on my part). Just saying, go very stealthy whatever you do, they will bust the doors down there.

Hi wizgrow,

Sativa works excellent on PTSD so the mind doesn't dwell (depression). Also Blue Dream is a hybrid with Indica also so it treats anxiety/panic attacks also. Most vets with PTSD unfortunately are on pain meds, upstair meds,.......

Yep......... Many years they wanted me on SSRI's....I hate them! They make me feel like a friggen Zombie. Best SSRI I found to date is Heavy Weight lifting 4 days a week. Plus it helps in a bunch of other ways. Thanks for the Blue Dream pointer; I had heard of it before so I looked it up...... Sounds like a winner and putting it on order :)

WG

Great to hear wizgrow! So glad your not on that crap Brother. Blue Dream has a good yield also and fairly easy to grow. Best of luck man.

Yep......... Many years they wanted me on SSRI's....I hate them! They make me feel like a friggen Zombie. Best SSRI I found to date is Heavy Weight lifting 4 days a week. Plus it helps in a bunch of other ways. Thanks for the Blue Dream pointer; I had heard of it before so I looked it up...... Sounds like a winner and putting it on order :)

WG

Back
Top Bottom