PTSD - Useful strains - Indica vs. Sativa

Pilgrim

I've got PTSD, neuropathy, muscle spasm, and a bunch of other stuff. Three weeks into my new medicine. Long term goals -- get rid of pain, sleep better, take fewer pills.

My naturopathic doc told me that people with PTSD should stay away from sativas, and stick with indica or indica dominant strains. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on that?

:welcome:Hi Pilgram,

Your Goals:

Pain......CBD's, the second most abundant cannabinoid in MMJ. Independent of saliva or indica, sort of.
Sleep....Indica.
Fewer pills.....I've found, like many Vets with PTSD, that any top shelf strain of pot works better than any pill the VA has.

Hope this helps.:thumb:

:circle-of-love:

I've got PTSD, neuropathy, muscle spasm, and a bunch of other stuff. Three weeks into my new medicine. Long term goals -- get rid of pain, sleep better, take fewer pills.

My medical diagnosis mirrors yours almost exactly. I would add that when I have a particularly bad flare or if I have to go into crowded areas, meaning outside the house. I prefer an indica, it slows down my mind better and fellow citizens dont seem to make me as anxious. The heavy sativas I use for days around the house that I need to get something done through the pain. This is all anecdotal. Sativas tend to make my panic attack suppresion less, at home that is not a problem usually. In public in can be a nightmare with the wrong strain, again this is just my experience. I even mix the two types together in different ratios for days when I am in a large amount of pain and I have to go into public for some reason. I kept a journal for a while until i started to recognize the mothers lineage and known effects on my on personal physiology. Hope this helps you find some relief.

My medical diagnosis mirrors yours almost exactly. I would add that when I have a particularly bad flare or if I have to go into crowded areas, meaning outside the house. I prefer an indica, it slows down my mind better and fellow citizens dont seem to make me as anxious. The heavy sativas I use for days around the house that I need to get something done through the pain. This is all anecdotal. Sativas tend to make my panic attack suppresion less, at home that is not a problem usually. In public in can be a nightmare with the wrong strain, again this is just my experience. I even mix the two types together in different ratios for days when I am in a large amount of pain and I have to go into public for some reason. I kept a journal for a while until i started to recognize the mothers lineage and known effects on my on personal physiology. Hope this helps you find some relief.

You know, this is pretty much exactly what I would have written as a reply. Its good advice especially the diary entries to uncover a lineage that actually works for you in different situations. Again I have to agree that a sativa or a heavy sativa hybrid are what work for me around the house but could lead to issues making me far less than comfortable in public. Yet again a heavy indica can see me withdraw more than I should in a public situation leaving me being perceived as anti social. It is a matter of trial and error and learning what works because none of us are truly the same even if we "swear by" a strain that works as an all time great it doesn't mean it would be the same for another person. Also you have to take into consideration the phenotype. With so many people breeding these days it's not uncommon to pop 10 seeds even from an established seed farm and see a multitude of different plants.

I do find that a blueberry strain often works well for me though. Recently I was given a sample of a well grown and well cured Blue Cheese that worked very well for keeping a positive headspace, relaxing while maintaining energy and feeling pretty level. Although I have said that everyone is different I can only go by works for me and my medicine chest would contains these...

Strawberry Cough - I find good for my darker days when I need to get things done and the world seems dark and foreboding and hard to motivate to go face it.

Blueberry - when I get the races head especially when trying to sleep and I just can't shut down and switch off and feel too hyper alert for my own good.

Blue Cheese - as I have said its a new one for me but gave me a good middle ground.

One bit of advice I would add is that if you grow and you find a variety that has a good effect for you try, if you can, to get a cutting to be a mother for you as phenotypes can play a huge part in that effect that may well lose by sending off for seeds.

My naturopathic doc told me that people with PTSD should stay away from sativas, and stick with indica or indica dominant strains. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on that?

I used sativa oil for my daytime cancer treatment and found that it COMPLETELY eliminated my PTSD symptoms!!! If you value the quality of your life (and who doesn't), and you have PTSD.......

....you must try tacking cannabis oil made from sativa buds...It may save your life too!

Don't give up...please, please try tacking sativa oil.

:Namaste:

i suffer from ptsd from a incident that happened in the Army. for years i self-medicated with booze and suffered a alcoholics life. since i switched to weed , i was able to wean myself away from the booze and now have a normal life. I've never applied for mmj card but Maine just made rec. weed legal so now i can afford my stuff by growing my own and not breaking the law, at least on the state level. VA won't endorse pot as its still fed. banned! ill be sharing with others that can't afford weed for medical issues for free or accept small donations to offset my cost. this medicine should be available for everyone who needs it! peace all!

I have ptsd and I really like this strain I found that was presented as blueberry but it is slightly euphoric like sour diesel. I know it is a blueberry cross, I’m guessing it is blueberry diesel, this strain is very calming but also slightly euphoric and has a bit of a nice bottom end that comes in handy for pain relief. I was lucky to have gotten this weed with seeds in it and you normally know you’ll got decent genetics when seeded weed is still nice and potent. Here in Canada the legalization has pretty much ruined the chance of buying good quality weed from a dispensary. I’ve been growing my own for a good few years or so now, finally half way confident. Lol. Produce should be nourishing not compromising. Try blueberry Diesel. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom