Do you want to be a RI MMJ Patient?

Wingman420

Commercial Cultivator
Well I am prescribed the strongest pain meds in the DEA arsenal and have had to use them constantly for 10yrs. I am adisabled Teamster who was run over, check out my other posts in this forum for details. I suffer from many health maladies that nobody wants to hear and am legitimately 100% disabled. I can't even drive and was expected to be in a wheelchair for eternity with no use of legs or left arm.
Back on topic, in October I decided to ask my primary about MMJ he talked it over with my other Dr's and they all said hell yeah.
Well after hearing some numbers that I took to be true about the #of Patients in RI was one thousand (1000), sounded a little off but I believed. Anyway I pay and submit application a month later I get the letter I am approved.
While involved in the process I find out there are only 500 to 600 MMJ patients active in RI with about 500 Caregivers.

In a State with a population of 1 million I know there are people who would benefit from this fantastic alternative therapy instead of using hard RX drugs.
Why are there so few patients in RI?
Nobody in Rhode Island, needs Medical Marijuana?
Please respond maybe I can help!

Well I am prescribed the strongest pain meds in the DEA arsenal and have had to use them constantly for 10yrs. I am adisabled Teamster who was run over, check out my other posts in this forum for details. I suffer from many health maladies that nobody wants to hear and am legitimately 100% disabled. I can't even drive and was expected to be in a wheelchair for eternity with no use of legs or left arm.
Back on topic, in October I decided to ask my primary about MMJ he talked it over with my other Dr's and they all said hell yeah.
Well after hearing some numbers that I took to be true about the #of Patients in RI was one thousand (1000), sounded a little off but I believed. Anyway I pay and submit application a month later I get the letter I am approved.
While involved in the process I find out there are only 500 to 600 MMJ patients active in RI with about 500 Caregivers.

In a State with a population of 1 million I know there are people who would benefit from this fantastic alternative therapy instead of using hard RX drugs.
Why are there so few patients in RI?
Nobody in Rhode Island, needs Medical Marijuana?
Please respond maybe I can help!

I know this is my first post and all, but I (actually my brother) could really use some help. He suffers from Chronic IBS. He's been diagnosed with it and all, and the doctors just don't seem to care. He has mentioned MMJ to his Doctors, and the one said to him "I find the best medication for IBS is no medication." He is a minor, yes, but could really benefit from this plant. He's tried it in desperation without a card, and would swear on his life that it helped him significantly.

Do you know what we could do?

Thanks.

-Brandon

I just read that New Jersey just passed MM legeslation today ,maybe we should all start writing and reporting on all these positive results from MM . Let our gov. officials know and let them know that you vote and will support someone with like ideals maybe with enough letters (prospective votes) something will be done ..Sooner rather than later..:peace:

Do you live in RI?
Who is your brother's guardian?
I can not help unless and until I know these things.
Best of luck and keep us informed.

Yes, we've lived in Rhode Island for about two years now. My brother's guardians are his parents.

Thanks for offering to help. It's good to know someone is out there other than these useless doctors....

@ol hippy: I actually have called a few of the State Senators of RI and left them messages about MMJ and whatnot. It's cool being active.

I just read that New Jersey just passed MM legeslation today ,maybe we should all start writing and reporting on all these positive results from MM . Let our gov. officials know and let them know that you vote and will support someone with like ideals maybe with enough letters (prospective votes) something will be done ..Sooner rather than later..:peace:

Yes, we've lived in Rhode Island for about two years now. My brother's guardians are his parents.

Thanks for offering to help. It's good to know someone is out there other than these useless doctors....

@Ol Hippy: I actually have called a few of the State Senators of RI and left them messages about MMJ and whatnot. It's cool being active.

Ol Hippy That is great news for New Jersey and the entire East Coast!

jbrandona, I am not exactly comfortable giving medical advice to a minor but pass this along to your parents as I am thinking they are on board and this is a last ditch effort at helping.
First before any Dr appt go to the RI Health Dept in Prov. and ask for an application to review w/parents and bring this to MD
Second inform the Dr of the suffering you are going thru and how MMJ helps and nothing else does
Third have your parents present the Dr with the paperwork and explain that they are behind this and want to see their son well.

I hope this helps but keep us posted. Also please read the info here at 420 on the RI MMJ law and its guidelines I believe but am not sure that only "debilitating medical conditions" can qualify you for the card in RI. I know the Health Dept. enforces these same guidelines when approving.
By stating this I am not trying to state you or anyone you know is not suffering it is just what the DR's will think and say.
Good Luck and in no way am I advocating any medical treatment, or therapy for you, or your brother. You must seek your parents help.

Im from RI and I dont currently have any medical coverage, a job, or any kind of public assistance. I, too, was involved in an incident that placed me beneath the wheels of a moving vehicle, which left me with permanent brain damage (cant do math anymore/Anosmia) and lingering pain anywhere that still receives nerve signals. I have a serious eating disorder, Im never hungry. I can never fall asleep without some cannabis, and become EXTREMELY irritable when without for more than a day.

Thats enough of that. On a more productive side (to the site and anyone reading) heres a basic rundown of scripts Ive received...
Trazodone-Antidepressant/Sleep Aid
Vioxx-Heart Attack causing Painkiller
OxyContin-Addicting and POTENT Painkiller
Neurontin-Nerve-painkillers

Basically put, I was on a cocktail that made me little more than a quivering zombie-ball on my couch. When I got off the meds and smoked my first doobie after the accident, it was like an Angel came down and touched my shoulder, and within 5 minutes I was me again. And without cannabis, I honestly think I would have offed myself from with withdrawal's.

Im worried that any doctor I go to is going to be skeptical to the point of thinking of me as a druggie. Funny, someone asking for MMJ is a druggie, yet they'll shove more pharmaceuticals down my throat than my shrunken stomach can handle. I guess Im just frustrated and worried. I'd definitely have NO problem with supplying myself, as my father has been landscaping and partaking of the herb since the late 70's.

PS for anyone wondering, Anosmia is the loss of the sense of smell, common with traumatic brain injuries. Consider yourselves lucky you can smell. It's been 8 years since my brain has had the pleasure of smelling cannabis, a fact that brings a tear to my eye.

Mods: Please edit if prescription names arent allowed

PatrizioD, Glad you decided to hang with us here at 420 !! Things will only get better from now on , It's a crime how some people have no regard for the pain of others. I'll bet if they were in a simular predicament the laws would change over night !! We all have to keep up the good fight this is a medicine ! one of the few that grows naturally and has NO side effects when will these fools see this ! It shocks me that here is the cure for so many things and we look the other way just because it also is enjoyable as a relaxent (is that a word) the best thing we could do is keep telling anyone who will listen to the amazing things this plant can do FOR humanity !! :peace:

PatrizioD, I am empathetic to your needs and we may be able to help. The members here are all very helpfull and knowlegdeable. I tried to send you a PM (private message) but u have this feature turned off. Please turn it on and contact me.

Thanks for all the support. I figured I'd throw this in here for anyone wondering about a time frame, its taken from a PDF from the RI DOH, this particular one was last Amended Januray of 2007...

If the Department fails to issue a valid registry identification card in response to a
valid application submitted pursuant to the Act or the rules and regulations herein
within thirty-five (35) days of its submission, the registry identification card shall
be deemed granted and a copy of the registry identification application shall be
deemed valid registry identification card.

So in short, if you submit an application and havent received your card or a denial within 35 days, a copy of your dated application will keep you from potentially being on the front page of the ProJo.

Thanks for all the support. I figured I'd throw this in here for anyone wondering about a time frame, its taken from a PDF from the RI DOH, this particular one was last Amended Januray of 2007...

If the Department fails to issue a valid registry identification card in response to a
valid application submitted pursuant to the Act or the rules and regulations herein
within thirty-five (35) days of its submission, the registry identification card shall
be deemed granted and a copy of the registry identification application shall be
deemed valid registry identification card.

So in short, if you submit an application and havent received your card or a denial within 35 days, a copy of your dated application will keep you from potentially being on the front page of the ProJo.

Hey there PatrizioD, yes the RIDOH does take some time to verify and process the information. They claim from the day your application arrives in their office properly filled out and paid for with the check or money order being payable to RI General Treasurer it shouldl be processed within 15 business days. They have been swamped with applications and "change forms" lately and are running a little behind.
Important: For the applicant to be able to establish an "Affirmative Defense" claiming the RIDOH did not process the form in a timely manner you must meet these criteria:
1. Dated, photostatic legible copies, of all signed forms, and checks
2. must have them in your possession and be within State limits
Good Luck
Before the 35 days an applicant enjoys NO Protection nor Safe Harbor and right now the Providence Journal will print every story portraying Medical Marijuana in a Bad Light.
There are many in RI and the US who want to see this program FAIL. We must be extra vigilant staying within the Law to pave the way for others less fortunate.
All Rhode Island Medical Marijuana Program Patients must operate within the Law to safeguard this valuable asset not only for ourselves but all of the State's most fragile citizens for generations to come!

I have cervial spondylosis and also hydradentitis suppurativa and I take Tramadol for pain and it just aint cutting it. I have gone weeks without walking at a time and am afraid I will get stuck in a wheelchair soon. I do not have health care coverage. I have started to smoke recently, I am 44 and it was the first time I ever tried it. Well, it seemed to do the trick and make the pain killers work correctly allowing me to walk about triple the length I have been able to so far and the hydradentitis cleared up for now! I told my doctor and she said that it may be that the marijuana works along with the Tramadol to increase the Serotonin levels and block or dull the pain sensors that the nerve in my neck pinches. It also may relax me and make the Hydradentitis attacks go away. Whatever it is, it works! and I have tried everything before this. It doesnt take much either, just a few hits after taking my normal dosage of Tramadol. I cannot say it gets me high since I have always stopped after 2 or three hits but for pain...it is number one on my list! I am very glad it has become legal in Rhode Island, my friend Warren Dobashian who passed away a while back fought for this for years. He had Tourettes syndrome and it really helped him alot. To get prescribed do I need to see a special doctor? I currently do not have a doctor, I go to the free clinic here in Cranston. I would like to be able to get a script so I could keep it legally. Right now I am breaking the law doing it and I do not feel comfortable with it on me. Thanks!

Hey Budsy, welcome to the site. You dont need a special Dr per se, just anyone in RI that can write a prescription, or a licensed Dr in MA or CT is now acceptable. Everywhere I've looked says to talk to your primary care practitioner; all you need is for them to sign a simple form that you mail to the state. Tell the Dr in Cranston your story, and how Cannabis helps make the painkillers function better. Honestly, any Dr true to their oath would readily recommend this wonderful plant. Realistically, the poor stigma has made it a touchy subject with many. Best of luck, let us know how you manage.

So what about those who just enjoy teh plant? I have some of the symptoms suggested, such as when i go without it i am grumpy, i wake and bake almost everyday. I live in MASS and my doctor knows I smoke daily. So say I were to make a doc appt and talk to them about my habit, it not an addiction more of a habit or hobby. It relaxes me as we all know, I honestly dont see the point in paying for it on the street market anymore as it is becoming ridiciously expensive. why not make a few bucks and put a bro on MMJ? Im sure the insurance companies would not complain.

Budsy, you do have a point. But ruin it, i dont think so completely. Since it is an "illegal drug" in some states but legal in others, why should someone who likes to smoke it have to buy it illegally? I know people in Cali who dont need it for medical purposes but know ways of obtaining a card and getting the forums signed is as easy as paying to have it done. it is retarded to go out and pay street dealers money when the Gov could be raking in dough with people who want to grow it for medical or recreational purposes. Yes this forum is for medical patients, but who is to say just because i am not in physical pain that i dont have a medical condition, and smoking weed helps keep me at bay? Perhaps it is more psychological condition. Please before placing someone in a category or sterotype think about it before you do so.

I agree Myzz617:bravo:who am I to say that MMJ does not help the affliction or quantified malady you may suffer from. And it is not for us to judge. We need to elect people who are not career politicians but ordinary folks who will do what we need and change this stupid prohibition that sends hundreds of thousands non violent offenders to prison for lengthy stays.
In most States there are 20yr minimum sentences for marijuana and more if the Feds become involved.
Thanks for posting +rep to both of you.

Hey Budsy, welcome to the site. You dont need a special Dr per se, just anyone in RI that can write a prescription, or a licensed Dr in MA or CT is now acceptable. Everywhere I've looked says to talk to your primary care practitioner; all you need is for them to sign a simple form that you mail to the state. Tell the Dr in Cranston your story, and how Cannabis helps make the painkillers function better. Honestly, any Dr true to their oath would readily recommend this wonderful plant. Realistically, the poor stigma has made it a touchy subject with many. Best of luck, let us know how you manage.

Budsy we all hope your Dr has started MMJ therapy for you.
I feel most people could benefit from MMJ and did not use Marijuana for many years but when I did use it I found MMJ to be extremely helpful for my many maladies. Please let us know of your progress.:goodluck:

High Chrismj73, glad to see you thinking about using MMJ to help alleviate your medical issues. Medical Marijuana has changed my life and helped me immeasurably so I would recommend it to anyone suffering from qualifying conditions. There is a sympathetic Dr on Reservoir Ave in the Calart Tower suite 3a who will be able to assist you if you have no Dr already. Please keep us informed and I do apologize for taking so long to get back to you I have been in Court defending my right to use MMJ and it has taken a toll. Keep em green and stay safe my friend.:goodluck::)

Back
Top Bottom