Wingman420

Commercial Cultivator

Store in Providence would grow, package and sell medical marijuana

[SIZE=-1]07:05 AM EDT on Monday, June 28, 2010

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By W. Zachary Malinowski

Journal Staff Writer
[/SIZE]

Gerald McGraw Jr., a principal in the Thomas C. Slater Compassion Center, in the large vault where marijuana for medical use would be stored before sale to licensed patients. The proposed Providence site was most recently Capitol Records Center, a storage facility.
The Providence Journal / Bob Thayer

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The old warehouse complex in the Valley neighborhood has been many things to many people over the past 150 years. It was once home to the James Hanley Brewing Co., and Harry Houdini, the renowned escape artist, paid a visit and successfully broke free from a locked beer cask.
In recent years, the fortress-like site has served as the Capitol Records Center, a storage facility for reams of archived state documents.
Now, the two vacant buildings at 431 Harris Ave. may soon take on a new historic significance: A group of investors is contending to turn it into the state’s first medical marijuana store. They would name it the Thomas C. Slater Compassion Center, after the late Providence state representative who championed the legalization of medical marijuana, to grow and applicants interested in operating a compassion center in Rhode Island under rules developed by the Department of Health. There are applications for other centers in Providence as well as for marijuana retail sites in Pawtucket, Portsmouth, the Warwick/Cranston area and northern Rhode Island. Several applicants have yet to secure an exact location while one did not respond to a request seeking a tour of its proposed facility. Another declined the offer, while Slater officials agreed to meet with a Journal reporter and photographer.
On Tuesday, the Health Department, which solicited the compassion center proposals, has scheduled a hearing in the Cannon Building, 3 Capitol Hill, Room 104, for the public to air its concerns or support for the various proposals.
The hearing begins at 10 a.m. Key issues are expected to be the location and the proposed security measures for the centers.
Gerald McGraw Jr. in one of the cavernous rooms where marijuana would be grown for medical use and sold to patients who are licensed by the state to use cannabis.
The Providence Journal / Bob Thayer

The Health Department plans to select up to three applicants by Aug. 1.
If the Slater Compassion Center is chosen, Gerald J. McGraw Jr., the investor group’s president, and Chris Reilly, the group’s spokesman, said that, by November, they can transform the 75,000-square-foot center into a thriving all-service marijuana outlet.
“We will be a good corporate citizen, and we will contribute jobs to the economy,” Reilly said.
McGraw said that the center would train and hire up to 75 employees for security, cultivation, storage, sales and a variety of other services that the center would offer such as yoga, Reiki and hypnotherapy.
Only licensed medical marijuana users, who must be at least 18 years old, would be allowed on the grounds, and they would be the only ones who could take advantage of the other programs.
A business plan filed with the Health Department, part of the application process for all prospective operators, projects that the Slater Center’s revenues will top $510,000 this year, and that those numbers are expected to grow nearly sixfold to $2.9 million by 2012.
Plans for the Slater Center are modeled after the Harborside Health Center, a well-established medical marijuana business in northern California with 46,000 registered patients and offices in Oakland and San Jose. McGraw has hired Harborside’s parent company, CannBe, and several of its top officials to help his team launch the marijuana center in Rhode Island.
Medical marijuana has become a big business in the West. There are more than 200,000 licensed medical marijuana users in California and more than 80,000 in Colorado. Since last fall, the number of dispensaries selling marijuana in Colorado has surged from 70 to more than 1,100.
McGraw, right, and Thomas Underhill, security chief, in the proposed Thomas C. Slater Compassion Center.

Both states also have imposed a sales tax on the drug. Rhode Island, one of only six states that have approved medical marijuana dispensaries, along with the District of Columbia, has yet to consider such a proposal for the 1,800 patients registered under the burgeoning program.
About 25 new patients a month are getting medical marijuana licenses from the Health Department to deal with medical conditions that have been reviewed by physicians. Rhode Island has had a medical marijuana program since 2006.
Thomas M. Underhill, a retired state police lieutenant and a vice president at APG Security in Cranston, would be in charge of a sophisticated security system at the Slater Center.
Licensed patients would enter the grounds of the center by passing through a security gate on Harris Avenue. Once inside, valet service would be available for the infirm, and the patients would go to a 4,000-square-foot. satellite building that would serve as the compassion center. There, customers would be able to buy various strains of marijuana at prices ranging from $25 to $51 for an eighth of an ounce.
An ounce would cost anywhere from $450 to $550.
Under state law, a patient cannot be sold more than 2.5 ounces of marijuana during a 15-day period.
Among the possible strains that would be grown and sold at the Slater Center are Strawberry Cough, New York City Diesel, Chem Dawg and Mr. Nice. The various strains are designed to provide relief for a variety of maladies including chronic pain, muscle spasms, nausea, mood disorders and anxiety.
The center may sell up to 25 different strains in the on-site store that would feature glass and wood cases similar to those a customer might find at a jewelry store. Slater officials said that state law prohibits customers from smoking the marijuana on the grounds of a compassion center.
The larger, adjacent warehouse is where the marijuana would be grown, packaged and stored. McGraw, the center’s president, said the product in the store would be moved to the warehouse each night.
The compassion center would be open for business 7 days a week from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The warehouse would be the primary hub of activity. On the second floor, there are two expansive rooms that would be used to grow the marijuana. It is unclear how many customers the Slater Center would serve, but McGraw is hoping for about 600 to start.
The more customers that choose to buy marijuana from a center, the more marijuana its operators would be allowed to grow. As of last week, there were 1,790 licensed patients in the state’s medical marijuana program. They may now get their marijuana only from among the state’s more than 1,300 licensed individual growers.
Once the first compassion center opens, licensed patients would have the option of going there or continuing to deal with individual growers.
McGraw, who runs J&J Electric, in Warwick, said that he has a purchase and sale agreement in hand to buy the warehouse complex, provided that the state grants his group a license to open.
KEY POINTSMarijuana across the U.S.
States with operating medical marijuana dispensaries: California, Colorado, New Mexico.

States that have approved the opening of dispensaries: Rhode Island, Maine and New Jersey, and the District of Columbia.
KEY POINTSMarijuana across the U.S.
States with operating medical marijuana dispensaries: California, Colorado, New Mexico.

States that have approved the opening of dispensaries: Rhode Island, Maine and New Jersey, and the District of Columbia.

Getting hosed by the health and police depts, that's what we are doing in RI,lol.

Hoping you guys show up the 7th. We will be allowed to ask questions again, just like the original applications meeting. We all have 1 question, 2 yrs later.....WHEN?????

Wingman-read your story, best of luck buddy, I'm local if you need some support. I have a friend running the same #'s, been trying to convince him it's the gray area that they use as a weapon but he won't listen,....hopefully he can learn from this. Good luck man

Getting hosed by the health and police depts, that's what we are doing in RI,lol.

Hoping you guys show up the 7th. We will be allowed to ask questions again, just like the original applications meeting. We all have 1 question, 2 yrs later.....WHEN?????

Wingman-read your story, best of luck buddy, I'm local if you need some support. I have a friend running the same #'s, been trying to convince him it's the gray area that they use as a weapon but he won't listen,....hopefully he can learn from this. Good luck man

Damn straight!!

:thanks: PlantManager please come by the Trial and bring ALL your friends!

This is awesome, a state run place? Man that rocks the house-no one to hassle or run interference, bug ya. If they did like in Cali and had machiens to dispense as well-ahh we can only dream.:thumb:

This is awesome, a state run place?

Not state run, privately own, state regulated,....like a pharmacy (think CVS)

There will 3 in RI, .............................someday. We might meet aliens in person before it ever actually happens tho

Wingman,....after reading your story, I want to ask at the meeting,......"what will you do, as the owner of a dispensary, if the state says you can grow "X" amount of plants but busts you and falsifies just about every aspect of the bust knowing damn well you can't prove it?"

When they don't answer I'll let them know they better have a plan, that's how it's done here in RI

Go ahead, dare me, we've had about enough. People have to stand up on their own, as individuals with a story, RIPAC sure as fuck won't do it, the journal wants to sandbag us at every turn, the cops are pissed because we're cutting in on their business evidently and all the while,.......patients suffer. People who stepped up to help patients get hunted. We are intelligent enough to come up with grandiose state name like "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" but can't for the love of God seem to comprehend the meaning of simple terms like "Compassion", Civil rights" and "flowering" vs "Vegetative"

It's just a mess.

Not state run, privately own, state regulated,....like a pharmacy (think CVS)

There will 3 in RI, .............................someday. We might meet aliens in person before it ever actually happens tho

LOL :goodjob:

Wingman,....after reading your story, I want to ask at the meeting,......"what will you do, as the owner of a dispensary, if the state says you can grow "X" amount of plants but busts you and falsifies just about every aspect of the bust knowing damn well you can't prove it?"

When they don't answer I'll let them know they better have a plan, that's how it's done here in RI

Go ahead, dare me, we've had about enough. People have to stand up on their own, as individuals with a story, RIPAC sure as fuck won't do it, the journal wants to sandbag us at every turn, the cops are pissed because we're cutting in on their business evidently and all the while,.......patients suffer. People who stepped up to help patients get hunted. We are intelligent enough to come up with grandiose state name like "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" but can't for the love of God seem to comprehend the meaning of simple terms like "Compassion", Civil rights" and "flowering" vs "Vegetative"

It's just a mess.

I could not have said this better myself. The Police here LIE, CHEAT and sell Drugs especially the drugs they seize.
RIPAC = RI Patients Advocacy Coalition, that is a joke. They only care about registering Patients with anonymous Caregivers who supply themselves, making money on the backs of Rhode Islands MOST vulnerable, the infirm. I asked when fresh out of Jail for HELP and was flatly refused by Joanne who told me "We do not get involved with Patients Legal Affairs." WTF I asked aren't you for Patients? No response.
Please feel free to come to the Trial and bring ANY Patient, Caregiver, or supporter. The LYING and Thieving Police who are in the business of seizing valuables and medication MUST Be Stopped. Police will only respect MMJ Law when forced to by the Courts and ambitious civil attorneys not afraid to file suit.

I also want to ask what the owners plan on when the Feds come calling because they have a few thousand Marijuana Plants with NO affirmative defense or Medical Marijuana in the Federal System?
What a mess for sure!

Back
Top Bottom