R.I. - Bills Would End Patient & Caregiver Grow Rights & More

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Senate Bill 204 & House Bill 5401, are identical bills and virtually the same as the bill that was filed in the House last year. If enacted, they would :

· Put an end to caregivers cultivating and/or dispensing medical marijuana to their patients as of January 2013. Only the compassion centers would be authorized to decide who could grow. In other words, patients would be forced to use the compassion centers and caregivers would be eliminated

· Put an end to patients growing their own medicine for themselves or for other patients effective January 2013.

· Immediately eliminate the gifting program whereby a licensed patient or caregiver may give medical marijuana to another licensed patient or caregiver. This would prevent patients and caregivers from donating medicine to patients who are suffering, unable to pay, and in need of medicine.

· Allow out of state residents to serve on a Compassion Center's Board of Directors or as a principal of a Compassion Center. The current law requires that all board members and principals be RI residents.

· Allow state police to inspect the confidential records of the compassion centers.

· Require patients and caregivers to have their names and dates of birth on their MMj licenses.

· Prohibit Health Department from licensing anyone with felony drug conviction to be a caregiver regardless of circumstances or age of the conviction.

Talk or write to your state senator and your state representative. Introduce yourself and let them know that you vote in their district and that you have serious concerns about Senate Bill 204 and House Bill 5401. Keep in mind that your senator or representative may not be familiar with the Medical Marijuana Program. The more information you can provide about how cannabis eases your or your patient's debilitating medical condition, the better. Let them know that real patients with serious medical conditions appreciate and need the medical marijuana program.

If you do not know who your senator or state representative is, go to: summary Scroll down to general voter information and supply your address. Click on the search button and a list of your elected officials will appear. Look for your state representative and senator in the General Assembly (not federal). Click on their names and you will find their contact info.

Here are some points that you may wish to make regarding Senate Bill 204 & House Bill 5401:

1. This bill would force patients to use the compassion centers and prohibit them from growing their own medicine or having caregivers grow for them as of 2013. Compassion Centers are, at the present time, unknown and unproven. We don't know for sure that any compassion centers will be operating in 2013 or whether they will be able to meet the needs of patients.

2. Compassion centers were intended to be an OPTION for patients, not a mandate.

3. Many patients are self sufficient and have already learned to provide for themselves at a low cost.

4. Compassion Centers will have huge expenses (staffing, security, mortgage/rent, etc). We don't know if their medicine will be affordable for all patients in need.

5. Low income patients are especially at risk.

6. There is no guarantee that compassion centers will have the appropriate strains of medicine.

7. There is no requirement that compassion centers accept all the patients who apply.

8. Overall, this legislation is gambling with patients' access to safe affordable medicine.

9. This legislation would immediately eliminate charitable giving to patients in need. Why?

10. Many patients are dependent on gifts from other licensed patients and caregivers because they do not have access to medicine. These patients are low income and are often hospice patients.

11. Who is behind this bill? Why would we want out of staters to be on the Boards of compassion centers? There is no good reason to give control of compassion centers to residents of Colorado or California.

Always be polite when speaking to your officials. You can play an important role in educating them and helping to protect patients.
Section 2 HOUSE BILL WOULD LET LANDLORDS REFUSE TO RENT TO PATIENTS & CAREGIVERS WHO ARE CULTIVATING

This bill would let landlords refuse to rent to licensed patients and caregivers who are cultivating or who intend to cultivate.

Section 3 HOUSE BILL WOULD REQUIRE PATIENTS AND CAREGIVERS TO INDEMNIFY LANDLORDS

This bill, House 5032, would require patients and caregivers to indemnify the landlord for damages that arise from the garden. It seems that if a garden caused mold or a fire, the patient or caregiver would be liable for all the damages.

Section 4 TAKE ACTION & BE HEARD

Let your concerns be heard. Know and contact your state senator and state representative. You can find them at summary . Educate them about how the Medical Marijuana program works for youand how these bills would affect you or your patients.
Section 5 ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING COMPASSION CENTER LICENSES EXPECTED SOON

March 8 is the date that the Health Department is expected to make the announcement as to which of the 18 applicants will be awarded a license to operate a compassion center. The Department may issue up to three licenses.
Section 6 Patient Orientations and Grow Classes

RIPAC offers Patient Orientations where licensed patients learn their legal rights and responsibilities, legal options for obtaining medicine, how to choose a responsible caregiver, pitfalls to avoid, and more....

Orientations generally take place Wednesdays at 2pm. Some evening options are also available. Please call 401-861-1601 to reserve your seat. All orientations take place at RIPAC headquarters at 498 Kinsley Ave., Providence.

RIPAC offers monthly grow classes. Grow Class I takes place at 7pm on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. Grow Class II takes place on the last Wednesday of the month. You must register in advance. Please call 401-861-1601 for more info.

Section 7 Meetings

RIPAC hosts patient meetings for licensed patients throughout the state. This is an opportunity to meet and network with other patients and keep up to date with developments in the Medical Marijuana Program. Licensed caregivers are welcome to attend these meetings when they are accompanying their patient(s). All those attending must bring their current patient /caregiver licenses and drivers' licenses or state issued IDs. The laws of confidentiality apply to all meetings. For future reference, the meetings are posted on the calendar at RIPatients.org. The current meeting schedule is as follows:

Statewide Patient Meeting: last Tuesday of every month at 7pm. This meeting is open to all licensed patients from all over the state. Please call RIPAC headquarters for location and directions at 401-861-1601.

Newport County Regional Meeting: the first Tuesday of every month in Middletown at 6:30pm at the Healing Co-op at 272 Mitchells Lane. Licensed patients from Newport County, Tiverton, Little Compton, Bristol, and Warren are welcome.

East Bay Regional Meeting: beginning in March, the meeting will be changed to the third Tuesday of the month at the East Providence Library at 41 Grove Avenue in East Providence. This is a great opportunity to learn growing tips. Licensed patients are invited.

South County Regional Meeting: the third Thursday of every month at 7pm at the Cross Mills Library in 4417 Old Post Rd, Charlestown. Licensed patients from South County are invited.

Section 8 MAINE Medical Marijuana Expo

The Maine Medical Marijuana Expo will take place this weekend, February 26-27. Visit asamaine.org for more info.

I have spoken directly with the sponsor of Senate Bill 204 and asked him what he was trying to achieve
Senator Frank Ciccone D-North Providence can be reached at 401-275-0949 the senator told me "we are going to tighten this thing up."
We had a good discussion and I asked him how I, a disabled Teamster and single father with 4 kids, could afford to purchase 1/8th ozs of OG Kush for $90 every couple of days? How can I do this living on a Disability Pension with 4 children?
It was clear to me we needed to work together to educate each other about Our concerns as he was ignorant about Medical Marijuana but would hear my concerns. I was extended an invitation to his office and the hearings. If I wanted to testify or not has yet to be determined but I ask all to become involved in Our Democratic process and remember "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."
Please be clear, concise, and respectful. If we treat our adversaries with respect they must respect our point of view and willingness to educate.

Back
Top Bottom