R.I. Abandons plans to license MMJ Dispensaries

Wingman420

Commercial Cultivator
Governor Lincoln Chafee today announced he is abandoning any plans to issue licenses for Medical Marijuana Dispensaries. He claims that the current State Law allowing them is unconstitutional and in direct violation of Federal Law.
His Office claims that lawmakers have already allowed for Patients to legally obtain Medical Marijuana from State Licensed Caregivers, and that plan is allowed by Federal Law Enforcement Officials and his Office is endorsing that option for Patients in R.I.

The Gov of RI has come out saying publicly that the proposed law creating Dispensaries is just too big. With applications approved by RI DOH for 3 Dispensaries that claim they would have on average 16,000-20,000 standing Plants and generate twenty five million dollars annually ($25,000,000), it is no surprise that the DEA, FBI, and other Law Enforcement agencies are salavating to arrest all involved and seize hundreds of thousands in investments. The governor is in favor of smaller dispensaries that would not be factories for Marijuana in a state with only 2000+/- Patients.
I myself believe that Collectives or Co-ops with storefronts that serve Patients is the best way to go with the understanding that we remain under the Federal 99 Plant rule.
If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on this or how things are working in your area we could use your input.

So with a final decision NOT to issue any licenses to large scale Marijuana Factories in RI, for only two thousand Patients, the Governaor has claimed publicly that current MMJ Law regarding Dispensaries is in error. He goes on to say he would like to see the Legislature rework this issue to allow smaller dispensaries that would not attract Federal Prosecution.

I see this as an opportunity to work with Our local and State Representatives explaining what works and how Legislation allowing Patient run Colectives, and Co-ops, to sell at storefronts. These would be Licensed by RI DOH where zoning would allow, and must be away from schools, libraries, playgrounds, and parks.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas please share them, as it is incumbent upon US to shape Laws designed to help us.
Anytime Government tries to help it can be a fiasco because of special interest, lobbyist, money, and greed. But if Patients stand together and initiate a dialogue resloving this problem I am hopeful dispensaries could be open for business by July 2012.

We must not let errors in a new frontier for RI, stop any progress we have already made. Apathy and lack of participation will further foul an already murky Medical Marijuana Experience here in RI so please contact your senator or House Represantative asking them directly to sit down and go over our concerns. Patient run Collectives and Co-op's would allow Medication available at low cost to ALL Marijuana Patients in RI regardless of income. As for those who are below the Poverty lne and unable tio work due to injury or sickness, this system would offer them protection as those who can pay will, and those who cannot won't.
There are areas of current Law that could be improved upon, and without direct Patient input and influence, the Legislature could strip many rights away we now enjoy, in an effort to "help".

With all due respect Wingman, I think you are doing exactly what the Governor wants you to do, and that is divert all attention away from him. The RI house and senate passed a bill, the former governor vetoed it, then the house and senate overturned his veto. It looks like the legislators have done their part, and RI law already allows for dispensaries. Now, Governor Chafee is playing God in RI and doing what he chooses. Back when he promised to support it, the federal law was and is still in effect. Did he not know there was a federal law prohibiting medical marijuana? Of course he did, yet that is his only reason for denying it now! From an outside perspective, I would be patting your legislators on their back and putting the pressure where it is deserved, the Governor Lincoln Chafee.

You are correct Gov. Chafee is responsible for not issuing the licenses. I am disgusted with the whole freakshow. We should have some form of Dispensary open by now, it is the Law of RI but not respected. I am in court headed to Trial after getting Busted by cops who told me "they don't care about the card".
Thanks my friend I don't want you to think I am against them just always wondered why nobody thought to ask the Feds what they thought about 16,000+ standing Marijuana Plants at each center?

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas please share them.

Ok.

Governor Lincoln Chafee today announced he is abandoning any plans to issue licenses for Medical Marijuana Dispensaries. He claims that the current State Law allowing them is unconstitutional and in direct violation of Federal Law.
His Office claims that lawmakers have already allowed for Patients to legally obtain Medical Marijuana from State Licensed Caregivers, and that plan is allowed by Federal Law Enforcement Officials and his Office is endorsing that option for Patients in R.I.

Regardless of what he claims, he's got it ass-backwards on a rather fundamental level. It's the federal law which is unConstitutional. As such, it has no right to exist under the very document that gives it power.

Shame. The founding fathers had such high hopes....

I feel for ya wingman. The good news is he's a one-timer, never seen a governor piss off so many people on every issue he takes on in less than one year in office, not just mmj either. I mean, he has the entire state pissed at him for everything, unbelievable. The bad news is it looks like without a recall (which plenty are threatening to proceed with) you are stuck with him for a few years. Best of luck to you!

Hey TS thanks for the input it is definitely an uphill battle for MMJ here in RI but we are plodding along planing and mustering forces for the day we will be heard at the polls.

Yes budbro, it seems now like Chafee will be a one term Gov. as he was put in office by only 10% of all RI voters. It was a four way race which split the vote where he was elected to Office of Governor with a little over one hundred thousand votes cast for him, in a State of one million citizens.

Back
Top Bottom