Alaskan Thunderfuck - ATF, MTF, MVTF

Kronnoisseur

So I picked up a true clone of ATF, and I'm wondering who else here works with the strain? Any advice, tips, or information on the strain is greatly appreciated. I want more people to know about it, the medication it provides for chronic pain and sleeplessness is untouched. A true medicinal strain.

I'll continue with photo's and information I have of the clone which I just fimmed, when I find my camera.:tokin:

zhummingsig.jpg

I've seen information on google, some of it's wrong, or confused with Greenthumbs 'MTF' or Sag's Tundea, which just isn't the same. Here's the general basics I threw together with what I know is right.

Alaskan Thunderfuck (ATF)

Genetics: Afghani x NorCal Bagseed, some consider it an Alaskan Landrace.
Flowering Time: 8-9 weeks
Effect: Creeps in and is very stoney stuff that lasts a longtime, it's a sleeper on the comedown!
Bouquet: Has a skunky, musky, red grape smell.
Taste: Smooth complex dark taste, kinda like chocolate.
Environment: Indoor/Outdoor
Plant Height: Medium
Yield: Medium
Notes: A squat mostly Indica or hybrid, and somehow Russian Ruderalis got into the mix of genes, doesn't autoflower indoors but when you go outdoors it can flower early. Potency ranges up to 33% THC with high CBD levels over 1.5%. Not everyone will have these results, but it show's it's potential, and that it's diffidently killer pot in a good way. Internode spacing is very close, fan leaves have potential to be huge, and it can have wide leaf blades. Buds come out light green frosted with silver trichs. Doesn't like high humidity.

zhummingsig.jpg

ATF (Alaskan Thunderfuck)
ATF2.JPG

Origins: A hybrid, originally bred for potency in the early 70’s from Northern California Sativa bagseed and Russian Ruderalis genetics. This strain was reworked in 1975-‘76 with the introduction of Afghan to its genepool.
Breeder: An unknown Alaskan native or Russian fur trapper
Lineage: [(Northern California Sativa x Russian Ruderalis) x Northern California Sativa] x Afghan
62.5% Indica / 37.5% Sativa
Phenotype: Large leaves, hyperpotent, close internodes
Environment: Indoor / Outdoor
Flowering Time: 56-60 days
Outdoor: Mid October
Stature: Bushy, medium in height, with spear shaped cola's
Odor/Flavor: Medium odor that smells of musky rotten red grapes and has a unique smooth hashy taste kind of like chocolate that's very recognizable.
Yield(IN/OUT): Fair to good
Potency: 9.5/10
Buzz: A stoney creeper with a heavy body high, good for sleep, chronic pain, and eating disorders.
Note's: The ATF cut does not autoflower, and doesn't like high humidity in flowering.

zhummingsig.jpg

A beautiful writeup someone did from Alaska on the strain just recently, I saw this and was sooooo surprised nobody really gave it the attention it needed, so I'm spreading the word to 420 mag. Thank greenvalley907 / akgreenvalley! This is awesome stuff (bud and writeup!):thanks:.

well so far i'm 30 so i can't claim to be one of those old matsu hippy growers but i'm working on it and i'm lucky enough to have been raised by them right here in the matanuska-susitna. i always ask them about the old school matanuska thunder fuck iknow it by, heard them call it a few namesbeing "matanuska valley thunder fuck" - "MTF" - "Thunder". I've smoked the real deal many, many times and it always had that creeping feeling like something bigs coming, then bangs you with a heavy cerebral high that sent tingles through your brain, neck and shoulders, and later drops hard right down to your toes for some heavy couch lock. it's the signature high you could say, the proof in the pudding. as far as history and info of the strain here's what i've some to hear repeated over and over in every circle
of old timer alaskan growers as far as how the stuff came about and where it's at now. as far as "alaskan strains" - alaska doesn't really have any landrace cannabis other than some ruderalis which also thrives in russia, china as well... the climate is just too harsh for naturally support any other strain.
all the great pot came up the northwest coast on the hippy train back in the mid 60's and on.. most of their strains were coming from mexico, cali, canada, hawaii, thailand, veitnam, holland, and the like. that was the reality of things across the entire span of the northwest coast. it was just a huge pool of incredible world class cannabis. certain parts of the world back in the day knew all about sensimilla but the info haden't reached the masses yet and these hippies were taking the seeds from all this incredible bud and attempting to grow. the funny thing from what i've been told is when my folks, uncles/aunts started growing as hippy teens, they didn't even know to bud the plants. they just grow them as tall as possible out in the sun and harvest all the leaves which were still crystally and would get you high. eventually things got more advanced and nixon starting his anti-hippy/pot campaign forced grows to get smart about indoor growing and with that other things took place such as breeding hybrids. this is when certain hybrids were being born and could only be found in certain areas which again, was the story all over the coast. alaska actually has a few strains besides its mtf being kodiak gold, the shit that killed elvis aka elvis, chikalooney to name a few.. everything else you find around here is imported or homegrown popular brand strains.

the story behind how matanuska thunder fuck took it's name is this..
around '75 things got interesting when an attorney by the name of irwin ravin purposely got himself arrested while in possession so he could challenge the current anti-pot laws that nixon started. the courts looked at the alaska constitution which gives residents the right to uninfringed privacy and ruled that marijuana didn't constitute a person any danger and isn't reason to infringe ravin's privacy. this effectively made possession legal.
when news got out that alaska legalized, high times magazine gave alaska a cover and feature story. they found the cook inlet man responsible and in the interview he called the "thunder weed" by its full name, "matanuska valley thunder fuck" ... the magazine cut it down to "matanuska thunder fuck" when they published their feature. everyone followed suit and started calling it exactly that.
the magazine had a huge fan base even in the 70's, a lot of people saw the feature and decided to head to alaska to check it out. in 89, bush finished off what reagan started and alaska was finally pushed to recriminalize cannabis. the alaska d.e.a. started hitting grow ops hard and they targetted the biggest strain, mtf, the hardest. the strain went very underground and was passed off to the hell's angels simple because they could keep the strain safe. there were also a few hippy growers that kept it going simple
because they followed the rules, kept their grows small and sayed out of the d.e.a.'s sight. a lot of people will swear to you it never existed or is now gone forever, but i can tell you its still around, only harder to find.
there's also a lot of confusion over names so to share what i know..
matanuska thunder fuck and mtf is the most popular choice for alaskans. the name "alaska or alaskan thunder fuck" was given by people who weren't from here going back home and trying to tell people about the incredible strain.. its a lot easier to say and spell than "matanuska". the first seed banks to offer matanuska thunder fuck seeds were sagarmatha seeds and brothers grim, and then there's reeferman - reeferman seeds offers up what they called "kodiak gold aka mtf".. kodiak gold is actually a pretty well known strain in alaska that indeed comes down south around kodiak, indica dominant
stuff that i've had a few times and it gives a strong couch lock, nothing more.
sagarmatha seeds has matanuska tundra which they also call mtf. story is some guy from that seedbank, rob, travelled to alaska and pirated the strain, they bred it with something else and came up with tundra. i personally find this hard to believe since mtf is fairly well guarded even before the hells angels got ahold of it. it moved towards a clone only plant back in the late 70's, early 80's as well which makes long travel very challenging.
brothers grimm called something they had mtf, actually i believe they were the first to have anything from alaska, but their strain was listed as indica dominant which points towards the kodiak.
grothers grimm i believe was the first to claim they had "matanuska thunder fuck" but the truth of the matter it's actually kodiak gold, and indica dom. which is still a killer strain that lays a haymaker of a narcotic stone. i've had the pleasure of smoking a seeing a few grow and its plain to see where it differs from actually mtf. from there, other banks popped up with what they either called pure mtf's or hybrids of it.
sagamartha seeds also offers matanuska mist aka matanuska mint is a cross of tundra and grey mist. then you have blue alaskan which is what some is calling mtf and blueberry. all these strains also are indica dominant.

now as far as what the original strain was bred from.. original haze, nothern lights, skunk and highland oaxacan gold are named as definate parents.. they had all become big names by the early to mid 70's and they were widely popular in alaska back in that day. the indoor/outdoor growers took those gene pools and started creating hybrids for both indoor and outdoor. what they came up with was a high sativa dominant plant that still had some some the indicas hardiness and yeild.
my folks, aunts and uncles have had a lot of time spend with the mtf, they know what it tastes, smells, and looks like and i can say i've had the honor of smoking and growing the strain and i've also gotten to grow everything claiming to be the mtf besides the brother grimms strain but i do know if they claims its indica dom., it's not legit. so far, i can't find any thing that holds a match to what i know is the original valley thunder.
well, this matsu boy has shared what he knows. take from it what you will and just incase anyone finds themselves in palmer near lazy mountain, let me know and i'd be happy to share some samples and take you on the mtf tour!

zhummingsig.jpg

Nice post, Brah!!! Some years back I had a bro from Anchorage; born and raised. His momma ran with Sonny for a while. I was introduced to some of the coolest people I have ever met and a little lady I WILL NEVER FORGET! What you guys call "chocolate" tastes like a "peanut butter" "back" to me. Lost touch with those folks years ago; had to go do my duty as it were. Funny, one of my buddies from Idylwild used to carry a live frag in in field jacket. Not sure that fuckin thing was ever washed. Interesting times all. I am homebound- so my pizo an does my running. Way Cool Jr.!! Last year odo found "the goods". This year ido, dude said he had a mother and 2 clones. Cool they get picked up (pardon pun) Went over the whole deal with this guy. Anyway, no worries, good deal; but ??? (never had) it, is MM. OPINION? Anyplace local have the real deal. Long since I have known anybody.
Thanks Man, that was nice to see! Any ideas, much 'preciated.

If it is 110mm, it better be 2g`or learn to smoke , ) Yes, I smoke like a freight train. Real Matanuska s the ONLY thing that lasts more than an hour and helps with pain and opiates. Titanium 3 level plate and 3 allografts behind my throat, C3-4 is toast.

I tried to send this PM, but a Greenie. I spend my time in the garden far more than the PC. 50 posts??? I read too much other stuff. Botany is heavy! LOL PEACE!

Late,
E:smokin:

As far as I'm concerned there is no Ruderallis in Matanuska Mist. Matanuska Mist is also not related to ATF, it is Grey Mist crossed with Matanuska Tundra which is also not related to ATF, not to say from the sounds of it you may have the result of a Male Matanuska Mist crossed with the ATF cutting. Took pictures of the different leaf variances that accured on the mother plant shown earlier, I'll post those when I can upload. I'll take pictures of my untopped ATF's in vegatative state and a tray of fresh clones too. Should be what you need to identify. Legit that she was friends with Sonny, straight up guy I like him, would have been good times then. That lil lady you met sounds like she was special! I'll smoke some of the next batch and let you know if it's like peanut butter, memory recalls it does also taste of it, you know when you taste ATF, but, it's not to easy to pin gnats on. I'm the kind of guy that would roll with the grenade all day lol good stuff bud sounds like he was quite the character too. Thunderfuck still lingers in the Palmer area, Anchorage, and the Matanuska Valley to this day, just have the right friends when it comes to up there. I'm the sort of guy who can sit with his bong and smoke an ounce of headies in a day without wasting smoke to myself. Done it a few times, I can only get through about a half of Thunderfuck bonging! Kicks my butt!!! Now do you mean it was marked M(atanuska) Mist or ATF (m) Mist? If the m between ATF and Mist was an X that would mean it is a ATF crossed with Mist. Botany is very heavy, lately I've been plating with a refractometer measuring the bars! :) Havn't been on here much toomuch time in the garden after coming back from vacation had to do shopping, topping, pruning, repotting, fertililzing, building, and all the stuff. The full 10 yards! And some patients need help, so I'm trying to see what I can do for them too. That don't sound like fun bro, my kneecaps been busted up to many times which is the most of my problems. Patient of mine is in the book of you with Thunderfuck and the Opiates, it's the one strain to help wean off em pills more. Hope to hear back soon, one love jah mon!
:roorrip:

zhummingsig.jpg

Matanuska Valley Thunder Fuck

Sometimes incorrectly called Alaskan ThunderFuck or Matanuska ThunderFuck and for awhile in the 1970s they were in fact the same thing. Lower 48 usually called it ATF because none of the stoners could pronounce Matanuska. A Sativa brought to Alaska by way of California in the late 60's - early 1970's.

In the late 70's - early 80's some 'tard thought it might be good to cross this Sativa with an Indica...not a bad idea but they forgot to keep the original Sativa strain around... hence "tard"

99.9% of the clones and buds you see out there called ATF, MTF or MVTF are all the same MVTF / Indica crossbreed or variations of the same.

They are NOT the real MVTF, ATF or MTF... PERIOD.

Kinda like the Acapulco Gold strains going around now, close but not the real thing.......

My mothers oldest brother lived in the Matanuska Valley area since he got out of the Army in 1968. I got to visit him many times in the 70's and 80's. He was an old hippie after the military... my favorite Uncle. Sadly he died falling off of a mountain path near there a couple of years ago. They think he started having a heart attack then fell. A hiking path he walked every single Saturday for 40 years.......baked. :joint: He made it into his late 70's and had a nice, peacefully stoned life. My Aunt is still messed up from his death, they were high school sweethearts married 50+years.

:rip: Uncle John

My Uncle John told me a few times that it could still be found but that most of what is out there called MVTF is not the real thing. The long quoted post up there ^^^ about the 30 year old from Matanuska is very close to what my Uncle told me about MVTF.... The REAL Matanuska Valley Thunder Fuck is Sativa dominant not Indica.

:peace:
WillyB

THANKS, Kron'
I submitted a lengthy reply but I think it disappeared. Maybe the Green Goat got to him an he got lost! LMAO GrG 27% Delta-9 , CBD 0.72, CBN 0.01
GCMS ( Gas Chromatographic Mass Spectroscopy ) is how I generate those nums.! Burn before you burn. Would like to chat offline if possible. Thunder, etc., if you are in NoCali, we could play that game as tribute to some really awesome times and a badass lady, seans mom was like that. You must have sent some good rasta. Girlyfriend in JuKnow called (corny I know, no disrespect intended, just makes my dumb ass laugh ; )~

Kron' do you have a backchannel I can send you some macros JPEG 3-8MB/TIFF much lager, camera does true one byte/pixel TIFF rendering. I can sometimes get free GCMS time. Maybe I can get a piece of stem from you and I will run each separately, prolly should also do a leaf, stem and of course the flower. If possible would like to compare notes. Judging by your pic and based on leaf structure ( small pic, but seems obvious.??) We have the same plant or very close. If u in NoCali, let's hook up, and :lot-o-toke:. Dedicated to a lovely lil badass bitch. Rasta!

Thought someone asked about high CBD.,hit me up. I can tell you a bunch. ( and numbers) TRY RX Red (UC Davis) Green Ribbon (UC Santa Cruz). They are conducting the CBD test. A strain that will be a very effacacious analgesic but will not get u high. I read their material and have had the strains. Get you high like a MF'er, really good analgesic effects, AIN'T THUNDER (MVTF, that is the name it as birthed is what I was told in 1980. The genetics -details: was supposed to be a Sativa(L) "native" in a ditch, but it had some oddities, x with male Russian ruderindica. ? For what it is worth.
If you are in Cali some really nice clonage out and about.

WIllyBudz,
The "Sativa oriented Thunderfuck' was called Thunder Weed or Valley Weed from what I know, and in 1975 or 1976 High Times came out to do an article on this strain right around when the Afghan genetics got introduced it, before or after I don't know, but it was then the grower called it Matanuska Valley Thunderfuck (High Times shortened it to Matanuska Thunderfuck). Alaskan Thunderfuck or ATF is the term used for the cutting here in the lower 48 state's, yes, and you know you got the stuff then when somebody says it. But this is where I say it is the real MVTF/ATF because it was crowned its name when the Afghan genetics were introduced to it's genepool.
Being able to get baked and go hiking forty years or doing any passion you love is a great thing, he lived a good life how he wanted. I hope your Aunt knows he lived a great life, she's a great woman for giving him 50 years of happiness, what you call a ride or die chick these days i've been hearing lately. May Uncle John's soul RIP.
I would love to have tried the original valley weed, always sounds like fantastic stuff!

Eskimo420,
Indeed I am, but I smoked that green goat hours ago he's long gone bud lol. Impressive numbers there!!!! Very, top of the line indeed. But always keep the good rasta on hand for sure. Variety is great, been getting more into it other than straight ATF!!! Haha, Bubba has kind of caught my heart lately. Let's talk more on the side, I'de enjoy that. Working with a lot of stuff I want to be working with too. The small pic with the purple bud in my avatar isnt ATF if that's what your talking about, thats Scarlet Fire (a Mango cross), I can get flowering photos of ATF here soon though there only a week into it almost so maybe in a month I'll have some pics for you. Talk with you soon.

There's a strain called Harlequin from Harborside I just read that has high CBD 5-7% I believe, though only 5-10% THC the drawback... I was mentioning earlier ATF had high CBD ratio compared to most with 1.5%+. CBD and Afghani are my middle names!!! Love those two things. I know Afghanica, Ruderallis, and Sativa all to be in the genetics, 99% sure. The Sativa native ditchweed was likely crossed with the Russian Ruderallis off the bat to survive. So there's Norcal Sativa Bagseed x Russian Ruderallis. Then in 1975-1976 a Afghani (presumably, the Afghan going around the Pacific Northwest at the time) was crossed to the Norcal Sativa Bagseed/Russian Ruderallis cross. The Afghanica crossed with the Valley Weed may of had some regular Indica heritige in it too. So..... [Russian Ruderallis X Norcal Sativa] X Afghan ?

Over half of my genetics I've gotten here in California over the past year. The rest are from friends north.
Afghan, Afghan Kush, Alaskan Thunderfuck, Arcata Trainwreck, Blue Dream, Big Bud, Calico, Cotton Candy Kush, Diablo, Grandaddy Purple, Headband, Jack Herer, KTF, LA Pure Kush, Mango, Maui Wowie, Mr. Nice, Pineapple, Pre-98' Bubba Kush, Purple Kush, San Diego Catpiss, Scarlet Fire, White Widow

zhummingsig.jpg

I have some badass Pre98 and LAC. Idylwyld and a frag ;)~ LMAO. I learned a lot. I am into red wine (big, long legged zin, barbera/ 100 year old vines in these parts) So before being able to smoke something unknown for sure is all about turpenes and phenols. Without being rude, I have said what I can about thunder. I have smoked a lot of weed in my time. We got ripper Indie out of Hum back in '77,Kona Gold, on and on. NOTHING ( this White Fire is off the hook, not thunder I have smoked. Hands down the the Madam, and she has a "peanut butter back". As if you quaff vino and expell through your nose. It hides in the "after". Prolly sounds goofy. People have blindfolded my ass) every year I hit the clubs that do GCMS to taste, and it totally heightens your awareness of what the smells associate to and can judge by comparison potency. (poor mans GCMS, and it is a hell of a lot more fun! Seems we all have different and same pieces of this crazy puzzle; quite interesting. I met a guy that works for one of the collectives, he says he is getting me 4 landrace from the Palmer valley (assumed escapees, he knew too much. Must give him the benefit of the doubt. These guys have been around since '97.
Rasta
live
Eskimo Joe

San Diego Catpiss? WTF? Come pre-rolled? Sounds like another excuse to sell dope with "butt-rytus". Blight has been a scourge this year. The numbers could be ootw, no way. Fucking cat-piss: ur killig me ;)

Just to clarify: don't want to say too much. I have not seen the boy's in a long time.
:rollit:
Peace

;) Dont want to wake and bake with a FRAG. Boom, talk about a bad morning!

I Lived in alaska for 16 years this was the first bud i ever smoked. its the dankest i have ever smoked. it kicks the shit out of any bud in new mexico

I'm so jealous Kronno! Where ever did you find that true clone? That could be the best of all time, or one of them anyway. That and Heath Robinsons' Black Rose, just cause it looks so insanely cool!

Holy sheep deep, Kron. My 2 landrace are pre-indi escapees. Still veg, taking cuts and loading roots (4'x4.5'). My garden is beasty, figure I will turn in next new moon. Gotta check Almanac, looking at rain until August. May only do a couple odo. I have grown this run very cold (24hr); so it has taken a while for many aspects to really show. Stalks are about 1.25". No frond wider (at widest then 5/8" but it will be 10" long with an 8" stalk behind the last fronds, throwing 7,8,9,s
Didn't you say you were a Head Band fan? Got some beauty 707. Did you get any pix? Mostly cooked, but due to weather , cut about 2 wks early. There is nothing fnner than to watch an accomplished smoker roast their first number of Thunder; the facial expressions are priceless!
Needless to say, I have been doing a lot of haircuts. My wife thinks it is funny.
Late.

Back
Top Bottom