Can I take clones off a young plant - rooted clone?

Android

I have a problem I need some help with.
See, I need to take ~200 clones to populate my new 171 plant rig (just to make sure there is enough)
The problem is that I was only able to harvest 112 clones (3 full trays of 36) off my 6 moms. Right now they are almost done rooting and depending on when I am going to get some missing parts in the mail, will go in my aero rails this weekend or next week.

My idea is to let them root and veg them for ~10-14 days until they develop some branches of their own, could be topped, and then chop them up to get the needed amount of clones. What I am concerned with, is that the resulting clones might not root as well as the clones taken off mature mothers.

The question is - how early I could harvest viable clones off the young clones?
:peace::love:

P.S.: I am going to plant more moms now (I grow them in soil)

No, I am not talking about the difference between clones from a flowering plant and a clone from a vegging plant...
...I am asking about a difference between a clone from a mature vegging plant and a clone from a very young vegging plant

well okay misunderstood that a bit..:confused:

the veg clones u see on the latest pics are taken from a 37 day old mother (not in bloom)

The bible says:

Choose a mother plant that is at least two months old. Some varieties give great clones even when pumped up with hydroponics and fertilizer. If a variety is difficult to clone, leach the soil with two gallons of wate rfor each gallon of soil every morning for a week before taking clones. Or mist leaves heavily with plain water every morning. both practices help wash out Nitrogen. do not add fertilizers

Any plant can be cloned, regardless of age or growth stage. Plants that are cloned before they are two months old may delevop unevenly and grow slow.

A six-month old plant produces more cannabinoids than a one-month old plant. by cloning, a horticulturist is planting a THC-potent plant that will continue to grow in potency at a very rapid rate. a month-old rooted clone acts exaclty like a four-month-old plant and can be induced easily to flower with a 12-hour photoperiod.

hope this helps you a bit out

I thought this was bad news, but after I gave it a minute it all makes sense.
Because I am not going to clone plants grown from seed, but from already cloned plants, it should work just fine.
I'm guessing that I just have to try it and find it out by myself

It is because in SOG rig with 4 plants per square foot, conditions are such that you cannot have plants of different age - older ones would outcrowd the younger ones - this is from personal experience.

It is because in SOG rig with 4 plants per square foot, conditions are such that you cannot have plants of different age - older ones would outcrowd the younger ones - this is from personal experience.

Okay but if u wait for rooting, taking new clones from your already made clones wont that be the same problem won't they be rooted later to? won't that give plants in two different age to?

I know this is complicated... If I would harvest my smaller (74plant) rig by that time - I would move the topped clones there; but if not - I would chop them up completely and discard the remnants. In the second scenario I would make clones off the tops of cloned clones to populate the smaller rig later. I'm not sure if this makes any sense

I should be getting the float switch for my catch-pan pump in the mail today, so I will be planting soon, we'll wait and see what happens

I have an update - only 73 clones have survived, and many aren't going to make it. But the remaining should provide plenty of material to fill up the rest of the rig in a week or two:

I only was able to populate 5 rails out of 11, and propably only 4 rails will make it to the next level, so I need to harvest 4 clones out of each remaining vegging plant just to be sure I have enough:

Capture125.JPG

New to the forum. Grew about 15 years ago. Back then, I was told not to keep re-cloning from clones. That I would eventually get inferior plants more prone to disease and infection. Does that school of thought still follow today?

Thanks all.

Great forum.

Yeah, I heard the same thing, and I wish I could have planted 171 fem seeds instead. Bad news is that I can't get that many seeds in the US. The good news is that rumor has nothing but anecdotal evidence

I bet they will turn out fine !

Will be interesting to see how 4 trays of young clones compare to 2 trays of clones taken from mothers (you can tell which is what by stem thickness)

Here are my baby-flowers (as I tell my daughter):

Capture140.JPG
Capture90.JPG
Capture230.JPG
Capture710.JPG
Capture612.JPG

I usually check after a couple of days to see if I need to gather any replacements. You can tell right away that some of these won't make it:

Capture513.JPG
Capture324.JPG
Capture416.JPG

Hey Android, lookin pretty good to me, though I'm a total newb when it comes to cloning. Do you mist with solution, or just plain water?

:cheer:Some strains lose their overall vigor and ability to fight off natural patogens ( fungus pithium etc.) when you clone them multiple times. That has been my experience..:cheer:....................... but thats not to say that you can not clone a plant many times but when you come across a group of clones that just dont respond to feeding and start showing signs of stress this is usally the problem. I have strains I have cloned many times without any propblems at all..:cheer:..... then one group of clones jumps up and just never seems to respond and give the yields of the mother plant earlier in her life. Here is a picture of what I did this summer 218+ grams of sticky dank bud woo hoo cant wait till xmas Hope this helps stay safe and good growin......:thumb:
106_0095.JPG

The quality of clones was sub-par, so here are the results so far:

Clones taken: 288
time passed: 15 days
Survived so far: 209 (73% of total)
RIP: 79 clones (27%)

Out of survivors:
Ready for drop-in (multiple roots): 69 (24% of total)
Showing a root or two: 38 (13% of total)
Alive, but no visible roots: 102 (38% of total)

As you can see, at this point there is about 50/50 of clones with and without roots. But waiting another week could wipe out another 37 clones (given 13% average weekly mortality rate) leaving us with no reserves and a lost week.

The full capacity is 171. I have 3 options of what to to:
a) Wait another week: less risk for empty slots in the end, but waste of time keeping clones in domes when they can be vegging already
b) Plant 108 plants (7 rails out of 11) right now. Add the remaining clones that will show roots in a week -4 rails - right in the middle under the lamp
c) Plant all plants today, selecting the most promising 72 specimens out of 102 available that show no roots yet, leaving the remaining 30 as "bench players" - even if the half of promising plants with no roots won't make it - there will be a chance that some of the leftover replacements will have roots in a week

What do you think - a, b, or c?

a

Back
Top Bottom