Feminized vs. Non-Feminized seed?

ReikiHealer

I'm a complete newbie. Brain tumor patient. Interested in medical/health use maybe for a tincture. What does feminized seed mean? Do ALL plants give buds to use for creating tincture or oil? Or is there a difference in amount or quality of buds?
Any Guidance Appreciated

When you plant regular seed you get about 1/3 males and about 2/3 female plants. Female plants are the ones we want for our purposes. They produce buds. Male plants produce pollen. If males are left to grow around the females, they will pollinate the females and there will be a lot of undesired seeds in the buds. Males show their sex first and are usually destroyed long before they shed their pollen.

Breeders have tricks to produce feminized seed so you only get females. Some people do not like to buy them because they are sort of inbred and some think there is a higher chance for hermies. Hermies are female plants that throw a few male flowers too.

I do not use feminized seed. If I were you, I would buy a cheap 10 pack of regular seed for starters. Nirvana has good seed cheap. I personally like the Pure Power Plant. It is easy to grow and loaded with resin. I would stay away from the Papaya though. Keep reading and asking questions on here. There is a ton of useful info and a lot of smart growers that are willing to help. Good luck !

You are quite welcome!

I think that if you dont have exsperience in growing that fem seeds would be the way to go.
I would rather take the chance of it going hermie rather then waisting time and space growing a regular seed.
but if you lack the funds to get fem seeds then regular would be a good option.
I use fem seeds for the reasons stated above and have not had any problems.
good luck with your grow witch ever seed you go with:peace:

Since fem seeds have been covered pretty well I'll talk about cooking ......

You don't neccesarily need only buds. If you are using the weed to cook or make concentrates (like tincture), then you can use the WHOLE plant. There's plenty of CBDs etc in the stalks, stems, leaves etc. The only part you don't use are the roots (some poeple still use them for tea) and stems that are bigger around than a pencil (since roots and thick stems have little to no useful stuff in them). Keep all your trimmings, leaves, shake etc .... it's all useable. I trim the stems up into 1/2 inch - 1 inch peices and just throw them in with the rest. Let it all dry well before using it for cooking etc. You can cook with either male or femail plants .... doesn't make much difference. Although, fems have more THC.

I've heard a ton of good things about RSO (Rick Simpson Oil).

I hope things work out for you.

Back
Top Bottom