Christmas Buds! Mid 1990's strain: Anyone remember and know what strain?

Hey everyone....

Back in Chicagoland and I believe throughout the midwest, around every Christmas there used to be a strain that came out called Christmas buds. I mentioned this on another thread but felt it deserved its own thread in search of what it exactly was.

These buds were so delicious, a mix between a pinetree and a peppermint candy cane and were nice pinecone shaped buds, very dense, with bright green and bright red hairs. I remember just a small 1 hitter packed with the christmas nugs was very strong and would hit your lungs like you just inhaled quick dry cement...very very strong high....

I have been wondering for years if anyone knows what strain or genetics these "christmas buds" came from? I know that I have seen people saying, "its just some bud that someone put a name on" which I highly doubt is true because it was consistant for a few years in a row that I could remember, always the same taste, look, and heavy inhale...

I would love to hear if anyone knows anything about this strain/cut/genetics because I would love to see if their still available and get my hands on some :) Also would love to see how many people got a chance to experience this wonderful tasting annual treat...

I would say this probably was around 1991-1995 or so... and I was in Chicagoland at the time..

I lived in NC during the mid '90s and had a friend that used to visit his home town once a year near Flint Michigan. What he brought back sounds exactly like what you've described :love: and he also called it "Christmas Bud". I dont know what the strain was but Holy S**T what Id give to have those seeds myself :( Ive never looked forward to someone else going home for a family reunion as much as I did him. :yummy:

I lived in NC during the mid '90s and had a friend that used to visit his home town once a year near Flint Michigan. What he brought back sounds exactly like what you've described :love: and he also called it "Christmas Bud". I dont know what the strain was but Holy S**T what Id give to have those seeds myself :( Ive never looked forward to someone else going home for a family reunion as much as I did him. :yummy:

I definitely agree..taste, high everything about it was amazing... and I know it must have been a pretty large scale grower because I've read around the net other people from midwest states having the same strain, and it was always around Christmas.. Maybe it is some super north pole chronic that santa uses to get his reindeer flying...lol I wish I knew what it was..

I used to buy it up when it hit town in Detroit back in the day. Christmas tree is what the old hippy called it that I got it from, he claimed to have gotten it from Humboldt. That strain was what made me appreciate good grown weed. I have searched for it too Ice. I pm'ed ya.

I agree with you, it definitely was a treat in the midwest to have some amazing nugs around christmas. Usually it was the typical BC buds that made it around and common names around that time were afghani, white widow, northern lights, ak47, big bud, "hydro", "creeper", but they were all ok compared to the christmas buds. Such an amazing strain to almost remember the taste over 18 years later :)

It used to show up in So. Cal quite a bit back then. Rumor held that it came from Humboldt County. My friends and I would always snatch up as much as we could 'cause we could never find it after. My guess is, as previously stated above, it was some local guys gift to the masses. Haven't seen or heard about it since...

:peace:

Out here in the 90's we would get Purple Indica we called candy cane and Purple or Red varieties of God bud , all 3 varieties were what we loved for Christmas and called Christmas Bud. They always come from BC. Best year was in 95 when we got a huge sample of Purple Indica from Cherryville BC damn that stuff was fire!

It used to show up in So. Cal quite a bit back then. Rumor held that it came from Humboldt County. My friends and I would always snatch up as much as we could 'cause we could never find it after. My guess is, as previously stated above, it was some local guys gift to the masses. Haven't seen or heard about it since...

:peace:
In the 90's guys from BC would smuggle weed and trade this varieties in California straight across pound for pound for cocaine (ewwww)

You guys might be right about it being from B.C. In Denver we had a constant Christmas supply we always thought was Mexican, always the same smell look and taste I even had some couch lock purple buds in 94/95, back then I had no idea it was indica. Anyway back to the Christmas buds fast forward 20 yrs and I had the chance to grow Bc Mango and I smashed a few buds between two jars during curing after I looked at it smelled it and I said think this is Christmas bud. Some one try this and tell me what you think. Can anyone from up north verify this? Anyone hear of skunk or Black Skunk from Nebraska in 97 or 98 I think them seeds could win a cup?

I tried to reply to this thread and it replied to another thread by accident lol here is a couple pictures of our Purple God Bud that resembles what we use to get for Christmas

IMAG11332.jpg
374972_456505154428971_1139239851_n.jpg

You guys might be right about it being from B.C. In Denver we had a constant Christmas supply we always thought was Mexican, always the same smell look and taste I even had some couch lock purple buds in 94/95, back then I had no idea it was indica. Anyway back to the Christmas buds fast forward 20 yrs and I had the chance to grow Bc Mango and I smashed a few buds between two jars during curing after I looked at it smelled it and I said think this is Christmas bud. Some one try this and tell me what you think. Can anyone from up north verify this? Anyone hear of skunk or Black Skunk from Nebraska in 97 or 98 I think them seeds could win a cup?

Oh wow Reeferman does not even make BC Mango anymore holy cow that is some time ago lol he only makes KING now and I am not even sure if he is still in business... A lot of good breeders are starting to disappear now :(

**EDIT UPDATE on REEFERMAN**

My mistake , Reeferman has collaborated his strains with Jordan of the Island now I think they are working together and is why his seed line diminished...

Stories like this make young Jack sad. Growing up in Texas in the 90s all I we ever got was Mexican brick weed. Some smoked better than others but there were no names and it all pretty much looked the same.

While that may be true, I'll bet you didn't experience that many droughts when you couldn't find/get any. Wherever I've lived, typically the northern sections of the country, it seemed that there were periodic droughts, lasting up to a couple of months, where one couldn't find anything let alone brick weed.

We have had both here in Colorado although this spring's cool and rainy weather has everyone on edge after last fall's massive floods. This is one of the coolest and wettest MD weekends I've ever experienced in Colorado. We haven't even got the house swamp cooler up and running yet as there has been zero need for any cooling this spring. It's a nice change though and one that I am enjoying thoroughly as we do not get this kind of weather very often around here.

Stories like this make young Jack sad. Growing up in Texas in the 90s all I we ever got was Mexican brick weed. Some smoked better than others but there were no names and it all pretty much looked the same.

Was a little north of you in OK in the 90's. We must have been on the same supply chain cause it was always that super bricked, crushed seed. No names and it wasnt pretty...LOL

I love these stories :) In Europe in the 90's Dutch genetics were everywhere, and that's why I never saw brick weed in my life :) The only brick thing that was coming here was Moroccan blonde or dark hash, and occasional black Afghan. Still, I'd like to smoke some of this 60's/70's stuff... but hey, I can always try to grow it myself :bong:

Back
Top Bottom