Oldest marijuana strain?

Colesdad

It seems "new strains" are discovered every day, which I think is great because its like a micro brew, having new, interesting taste and affects.

But as was reading about the latest I wondered, what is the oldest strain? I'm not talking about thousands of years ago, but mostly the last 20-30 years. Maybe not an official name, of course, but maybe someone who had some bag seeds from the 60s or so and had kept those genetics around since then. Maybe an unofficial name like, "grandpa's favorite plant from high school, class 1962".

What's the oldest, unmolested, Gene you have had?

I had a strain when in started in my late teens called p13 the grower had been growing it at that point 10 years. So maybe early to mid 80's. Looking back the tale of where it supposedly originated (uw) couldn't match up time line wise. Also it really smelled like cat piss

Panama Red, Acapulco Gold, Maui Wowie are three from the 70's that are landrace. Smoked them all.

Is the blood line still around? I've Heard of Maui Wowing, but not the others. I started smoking around 93,back when we all thought hydro was a type of weed instead of a growing method lol.

All are available in some variation on numerous seed banks. Check out cannazon all 3 are available from different seed companies

The oldest strains are the indica. Places in the East and Middle East have land races that hail back many centuries maybe even thousands of years.

The oldest strains are the indica. Places in the East and Middle East have land races that hail back many centuries maybe even thousands of years.

Indeed! Afghani is one that comes to mind. However, of all landrace strains that I am old enough or lucky enough (both, really) to have puffed nothing tasted better than "Thai Stick". I want to find that exact taste!

I just remembered that locally, the MW was referred to as 'Pakalolo'. My friends and I bought some when we were in Maui in the late 70's. We surfed, smoked the finest green and searched the fields for magic mushrooms.

Was a good time in my life.

Yeah, exactly that's how MW has been known locally. It was nevef a landrace though, but a hybrid, a cross between powerful Mexican sativa and old school Afghan Kush.

The oldest cannabis is rather sativa than indica as it originated in northern China and Mongolia, and was growing wild for centuries before discovered as a crop by humans. Then it started being passed around by traders, which is why Himalayan, Thai, Vietnamese, and other Asian varieties are the oldest landraces on Earth.

In terms of breeding Thai, Mexican and Afghan have been varieties that were most popular in the 70's and 80's as a base for the new strains such as Skunk #1, Northern Lights, The Original Haze, Neville's Haze, Chem Dawg and many others.

Indeed! Afghani is one that comes to mind. However, of all landrace strains that I am old enough or lucky enough (both, really) to have puffed nothing tasted better than "Thai Stick". I want to find that exact taste!

One of my daughters, is dating a caretaker of a professional grow location in NorCal. He gave me a seed bank for Christmas with weird names from 1980 through 1990.

In it, is 2 seeds labeled "Thai 86"... I am really hoping to get one of them to sprout. If so, the whole goal will be to generate new seeds from it, to keep it viable in the seed bank. There are also seeds from Humboldt in 82 and a name or two I have never heard of before.

One of my daughters, is dating a caretaker of a professional grow location in NorCal. He gave me a seed bank for Christmas with weird names from 1980 through 1990.

In it, is 2 seeds labeled "Thai 86"... I am really hoping to get one of them to sprout. If so, the whole goal will be to generate new seeds from it, to keep it viable in the seed bank. There are also seeds from Humboldt in 82 and a name or two I have never heard of before.

If you ever are able to get seeds I would LOVE to get a few ;-)

The irony is that these seeds are almost 30 years old, and probably wont produce anything, however if either of them do, the plant will be either grown for its pollen or cross breed with itself using C.Silver or if both some how magically grow with one of each, a cross of both of them. I will start a specific grow journal for the story of the Thai 86, if they do in fact germinate.

Nice... very nice actually :hookah:
Hmmm, what are the rest of the seeds?
I really hope you're gonna get something nice here!

Nice... very nice actually :hookah:
Hmmm, what are the rest of the seeds?
I really hope you're gonna get something nice here!

Me too... we shall see... Here is the starting line up...

Woahaken Sativa 1980
Indica 1982 Humboldt
Indica Cross 1985
Thia 1986
Mexican (no age)
Green Bud 90

two more with jar names

8 more that just say unlabeled 1-8, and have 10's to 100's of seeds in each one. I look forward to doing some exploration growing, with a row of each of the unknown labels and see what happens with those seeds. The named ones, will get a more careful approach. lol.

Me too... we shall see... Here is the starting line up...

Woahaken Sativa 1980
Indica 1982 Humboldt
Indica Cross 1985
Thia 1986
Mexican (no age)
Green Bud 90

two more with jar names

8 more that just say unlabeled 1-8, and have 10's to 100's of seeds in each one. I look forward to doing some exploration growing, with a row of each of the unknown labels and see what happens with those seeds. The named ones, will get a more careful approach. lol.
Very cool. I hope it turns out well for you. Green vibes sent your way!

Wow akisunni, that is a treasure chest of seeds. Sure beats gettin a sweater for Christmas don't it?

They all sound like winners to me. But along with the Thai 86 is another gem, the Woahaken Sativa 1980. It's probably the legendary strain Oaxacan from the Oaxaca region of Mexico. I always knew Oaxacan was Mexican but didn't know how to spell it till I started reading at the forums. It's a long flowering strain like that Thai 86 probably is too. I got to smoke both of em back in the 70's and were real treats. Sativa Seeds is selling a version of Oaxacan called Eldorado with a flowering time of 12 to 14 weeks.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole here, but, if you haven't looked into ways to germinate old seeds, you definitely should. Those seeds are just too precious to germinate them with a typical/normal method before going into their grow medium. Lotta people scuff the shells first and then give em a soak in their own special concoction in a glass of water. Others say to gently crack the shells before the soak. Some even use gibberellic acid to help them get out of their shells. Don't remember reading anybody just putting old seeds into the grow medium without some kind of a soak first.

Anyway, good luck with your future grows of these old beans.

I always use a damp paper towel and then put them in a zip lock bag and tape it to the back of the TV for 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom