Clones rot before they root

stuporman

I have been having a problem since fall started with my clones. I cloned all winter without the problem. Could time of year mess with clones rooting? Also what nutes do clones need and when should i start using them? I use foxfarm nutes on my bigger plants...

here is one i did yesterday

P1070295.JPG
P1070294.JPG

I do use a dome I am also trying the method where its water in a cup covered with Plastic wrap over the top. all winter i had no problems using the dome. As i said it all just started when fall hit.

I have been having a problem since fall started with my clones. I cloned all winter without the problem. Could time of year mess with clones rooting? Also what nutes do clones need and when should i start using them? I use foxfarm nutes on my bigger plants...

Forget the nutes. The biggest difference between cloning in the winter, and cloning in the summer is temperature. If the clones are too warm, the stems will rot. Your room is too warm. Should be above 70 and below 80 F.

~ Auggie ~

Should you still be having cloning issues, look toward making a DIY Cloning Bubbler..yeah google for more!
I get 95% return vs 65-75 on the domes

Also keep in mind that pythium -root rot, can become endemic in your plants and make it hard to clone them. At least that was my diagnosis. I'd cloned for years with no problems, it was easy- then starting at one point last year couldn't clone anything no matter how perfect I got the conditions. The cuttings would sit there for weeks till they rotted eventually. Using beneficial bacteria in my plants solved the problem.

ty all and i have been looking at DIY cloners. I will post here with my results of cloning as time goes on, and theres more to report.

Cool. If you keep having problems come back. I made an aero cloner because I couldn't get anything to root in rockwool anymore. Still nothing. There were no light leaks the temperature was perfect ph was perfect everything was "perfect" except the clones would sit there for week after week after week as they rotted away. That's when I started looking into beneficial bacteria. I hope this doesn't happen to you but keep it in mind if it does. Good luck!

It could be you have been used to having the media a little wetter than it should be but with the cooler temps during winter, it hasn't been an issue. I haven't cloned with anything but rapid rooters and root riot with MMJ but working in greenhouses in the past that was an issue with cuttings one year when a lot of staff changed and nobody took into account the seasonal change. Try a slightly damp media, tip the fan leaves and take the dome off once in the morning gently blow some fresh CO2 on them and mist if the dome or cutting appear dry and do that again approx. 12 hours later. It works for me. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom