Local seed exchange discussion

Inquisitor

I curious why this has not been mentioned here. I just started with my first plant, which I feminized, and fully intend to get some good seeds from her which I hope to exchange with other local growers.
This is common among gardeners but I have never heard weed growers talk about seed swaps.
I thought I would bring up the topic here and try to find out why.

Most growers do not want to bring unwanted attention. While growing may be legal in your area people are still cautious about getting robbed.

Robbed? Of what, seeds that are being given away for free? I don't see the point.
You know what, one plant yield what 100-200 seeds?
Companies then sell 6 seed for $75 it's insane.
As for unwanted attention what is the purpose of this entire site and grow journals?

Let me clue people in about real weed growing.
I got 3g of landrace Red Lebanon Yammouni straight from Beqaa valley.
Three grams is about 100+ seeds.
We are getting to a time where gardeners and farmers are looking at seed companies and saying, this is a joke right?

You sound pretty naive to me Inquisitor and I certainly wouldn't be handing out my address for a few free beans.

I won't even hand it out to seed banks much less some anonymous grower.

Call me paranoid if you want but you can add free to the list of names I go by.

Until pot is as legal as tomatoes holding your cards close to your chest is the prudent way to play this game.

L8r

Robbed of cannabis, money, grow equipment. Maybe attitudes will change once cannabis is legal across the United States, maybe not. I am sure if you are in a legal state you could put your location and possibly find people willing to swap seeds with you. While I agree that seed prices are a bit expensive it's a part of growing this plant we all love. Either get cloning or breeding or pay the piper.

I never mentioned an address. I'm talking about people exchanging seeds locally wherever they are not specifically with me.
I mean anyone growing got their seeds somewhere. Anyone part of a co-op or goes to a dispensary meets people there.
When I go to my dispensary there are usually 5-10+ people there at any given time.
Maybe I'm "naive" but I never felt like any of them are going to rob me.
Hell, just meet at the dispensary then.
As for legality, as far as I know seeds are legal everywhere.

Quick google search shows 23 states and DC have dispensaries and reciprocity. Twenty other states will have them within 5 years.
Europe is even better. How much more do views need to change?

It's not so much that views have to change but if you have things that others want and are willing to take then you need to be careful.

Even here where we are all buddy buddy there are likely cops and/or rippers just hoping you will drop enough clues that they can pounce on you and either profit or shut down what they consider an evil entity.

I'm nothing if not a realist. I live right on a highway way up north and think nothing of answering a knock at my door with a loaded shotgun out of sight behind my back. If I feel threatened in any way the gun gets exposed and you can bet that things get very real at that point. Rural properties like mine are targets for tweakers and an elderly couple was molested and robbed not 5 miles from here last week. I'm 61 and at 5'8" and 140 lbs I'm no problem to take out but no man is bigger than a load of "00" buckshot.

I'll bet that many of the people here don't realize how easy it is for rippers or cops to find you. The good people that run 420 make sure that pictures you take with your "smart" phone don't have the embedded GPS data that goes along with every picture or video that you make with these devices. Post the same stuff on Facebook or any other social media site and even someone like me can target the location. It's called EXIF data and is easy to view and or delete from your pictures. Go into your phone settings and turn off the location function for everything unless you like to be tracked. iPhones keep that data even when you turn it off so be warned. Apple is not your friend nor is Google. Use StartPage for your internet searches so you aren't tracked.

The world is getting scarier all the time and most people don't know/care but what you share in private hasn't been private for a long time. I was on the internet long before there was an internet talking about pot on the old BBS systems so I have a clue.

Play safe!

:peace:

Got that right Shiggity! + reps

You got your old growers and you got your stupid growers but you don't have very many stupid old growers! :rofl:

Other than me of course but I've been luckier than most. Luck only goes so far and our invasive lives are rapidly taking luck out of the equation.

Each generation lets personal privacy slip away bit by bit and thinks nothing about it. Every little up or down in their lives is posted on FB or other social media without a thought to how it will affect their lives down the road. You can't delete anything anymore. Once you post it somewhere, even here, its up forever. If your real name is attached to it you are branded for life. Every job you apply for or intimate encounter you seek is there for anyone to look at.

All my life I've been big on technology. Tom Swift and books like it stirred my imagination and made me look forward to the day where flying cars and a few pills for supper would be commonplace. I look around now and titles like The War of the Worlds and Fahrenheit 451 seem so prophetic.

I grew up in the golden age but now that I'm becoming a golden ager I'm not so happy about how things are shaping up. I have children and grand children and I fear for the world I/we have left for them. I'm not running out and buying a smart car and if I had 10 grand to spend on a car I would rebuild the '85 Olds Royal Brougham sitting outside. The early one with no digital devices at all. I put 100,000 miles on it between 1999 and 2009. Most of it racing up north to Zama City and back every week for work. The highway from Manning to the turnoff to Zama was brand new and I locked the cruise control in at 150kph or about 95mph for the metrically challenged among us. :)

Still use my 30 yo K band radar detector to avoid tickets. Got my last speeding ticket in 2001. Mostly drunk off my face at the time but it was Saturday morning and the wife was in the front seat and her 9 yo daughter and her best friend were in the back seat. All singing along to Raffy or some crap and I didn't catch the bleeps off the radar detector in time. Not a ticket since then and I have a Class 1/6 license. I'm legal to drive anything from two - 32 wheels. Taxis, buses or ambulances included. With my enhanced first aid, WHIMIS and all the other expired safety tickets I've done a dozen times you could have much worse drivers behind the wheel. :)

You ever see that TV show, Ice Road Truckers? My wife watches it all the time and I laugh my ass off. I watch what I want right here up in a window as I type this.

I started running all those ice roads a few months after I moved here from Vancouver, BC where I was born and grew up. From a place that gets big snow every few years to a place where you have 10 months of snow and 2 months of bad sledding. :;):

Sitting on the ice on the Petitot River loading your water truck while feeling every bump as the big rigs cross the icebridge a 100 yards away is pretty sureal. Sometimes the water I was loading would be used to build an icebridge somewhere else. A lot of it was to spray down the muskeg and make ice roads thru the bush or soak down pads for drilling rigs to park on. I've done dozens of drilling rig jobs where you live at the rig and never, ever let the rig tank go dry. 56 hours without sleep once when a rig lost circulation and they were too cheap to call in another water hauler. Got time and a half for every hour past 12!

One job I did off the Chinchaga road was the one I almost quit over. Two other companies had already quit. My boss, an old farmer who kept the old Macks I drove for him in brand new condition gave me $20/hr for 12/day instead of the $18/10. I should have known that there was a price to pay. lol

I blew a front tire and almost ended the trip about 50 miles from the bosse's farm. I had one of those "DUH" moments where you might think that the cards aren't in your favour. Listen to those voices! The hill that I had to take a fully loaded water truck down had guys parking their 4x4 pickups at the top of and asking for a ride down.

I was warned that at the 27km mark I should stop and view that hill before I went down. There was nothing in my experience to compare. I ran a 5-ton truck all over the Vancouver and lower mainland area for 10 years before I moved north. The biggest hill was maybe Royal Oak down to Marine Drive and it might be wet but never icy.

This fuggin' hill was cut out of the bush and went down at about a 45 degree angle for about a quarter mile then did a bit of a turn around some freakin "sacred tree" then went another 100 yds and did a dogleg to the left on a wet ice field.

Water was leaking out of the side of the hill and it was a wet ice rink to drive on for the half mile of the curve at the bottom.

I think I sat at the top of that hill for a good hour the first ride. Got out and draped both axles with jewelry. Then I figured that 3rd gear/lo range ought to hold me back. Yee Haw!. Not a chance. Hang on by the hair on your chinny-chin-chin. Was basically lock up the brakes until the truck started going sideways then letting up on the air-brakes to get her lined up and hanging on for dear life. Then pound around all day fully chained up to service all the seismic drilling rigs then go run back up that hill to get back to camp for food and sleep. Get up at 5am, shit, shower and shave then go sit at the water hole to suck up 16 cubes of water. Then drive 50 miles before you head up the road that leads you to that hill.

You think someone waving a knife in your face is scary? I'd laugh and make him eat it. A '78 Mack truck weighs 35,000 pounds empty. Put 16 cubes of water in the back and now it weighs close to 80,000 lbs. On the highway it rides nice. That big diesel doesn't seem to care about the load. Get it off-road and driving where 4x4s fear to tread and then you get to understand what trucking is all about. I've met so many drivers at truck stops that have no idea how to put on chains. I've put on triples at least 1000 times. Fuggin kids don't know shit. :)

Got lost babbling again but it's all the truth.

L8r

Back
Top Bottom