GDP, Grape Ape & Purple Urkle

Big Sur

Question for the growers of these strains: are they really cuts from the same original GDP? Or different? I have read that these are basically the same clones/strains: Granddaddy Purple, Purple Urkle/Erkel, Grape Ape, and Granddaddy Grape Ape. At least Kind Green Buds says that. Others say that GDP is a cross between Purple Urkle and Big Bud.

I have read that GDP and Grape Ape will result in less couchlock than Purple Urkle.

What say you? :Namaste:

Does a name really matter? If you grow it and it kicks ass, what name is just a trivial question. I don't care what it is called. The proof is in the puffin'

Not to belittle your question, but if it works, grow it? I have had bagseed that kicked azz over high-dollar genetics. Just sayin'

Well, it is not trivial to me. We can grow weed here legally in Oregon now, see? I can buy gobs of different strains from MMJ shops. All of these strains go for between $5 and $15. Less than the price of seeds, and they are all females. So I am looking to grow specific strains with specific genetics with specific highs that interest me. I also have 38 landrace and heirloom strains seeds in my personal collection, and I want some new strains that I have not grown before to smoke and to cross with my landraces/heirlooms. So I am looking at these strains to buy now, before the MMJ shops close to rec sales, and before the 25% tax goes into effect in January. I have an indoor grow area set up with T-8 and MH that I can grow starts out in and clone what I want to grow by the time April rolls around, when I can move these babies outside.

Heirloom and new strains that I am looking at growing:

Ghost OG/OG Kush (same strain, different name)
Granddaddy Purple
Blue Dream

I will also be growing more of my heirloom and landrace seeds from my collection:

Mendo Bendo (a massive leaf proprietary indica cross from Medocino)
Pacific Valley African (a third generation cross from the Big Sur area)
Colombian Red sativa landrace (AKA: Panama Red)

And yes, they all have different highs.

No biggie.

I added White Widow teen to my collection this evening. It will be 10 clones by this time tomorrow.

Very interesting thread, BigSur.
If you have any questions about newer genetics, I may be able to help, just holler!

-Doc

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks, Dr. Gonzo. Dr Gonzo has a lot of meaning to me, ala' Hunter S Thompson.

Anyway, I got some Granddaddy Purple clones (Santa Cruz clone-only medical cut) this past spring and I grew them out. I can see the traits of Big Bud in there, and it has a nice subtle grape taste to it. The only issue with GDP is that it is very prone to powdery mildew here, indoors and out. I used refined 70% neem on it though at 100:1 ever few weeks, and that solved the PM problem right through harvest. It is one of my favorites to smoke this year, from about 8 strains that I have to smoke now. It has a mellow high if you do not smoke too much, and it puts me onto a good mood. If I smoke too much it tends to lock me up for a bit. So one hit here, and another there... and things flow along well. Also good for pain management. Better than Aleve.

Very interesting thread, BigSur.
If you have any questions about newer genetics, I may be able to help, just holler!

-Doc

Do you know anything about a strain called, The White? Not White Widow, its just called The White. Not a lot about it out there that anyone seem to know a lot about. I can get some medical cuts this spring of this strain.

The White is a single clone. It's famous for being very pretty and trichrome-heavy, the glands just stack and stack and stack, hence the name. I ran The White years back, and it's wholly unremarkable and entirely(!!) without character as smoke. As a breeding tool I understand it's been pretty popular as it tends to pass on its gland stacking, but otherwise as far as quality smoke goes, I'd call it a hard pass. [3.5/10-avoid]

-Doc

I have read that GDP and Grape Ape will result in less couchlock than Purple Urkle.

That Deep Purple I grew from a Clone I bought must have leaned hard that way (or I let it go too long, first try at growing so anything possible lol) as it will knock your behind out. I just knew it was a cross between the Purple Urkle and Querkle, but I hadn't ever had either of those strains before so knowing the genetics doesn't hath much meaning ;) least in any practical terms :rofl:

Not sure about all the other strains. Real Purple Urkle is a bitch to grow. Main reason it became so high priced. They have freaky leaves take a long time in veg A just can't produce enough to make it worth will. TGA's Strains tend to be exactly what they claim so the Deep Purple sounds interesting. BCBD Purps is another strain to consider They did a great job of bringing Mendo Purps indoors

Well, good to know. I have read some stuff about its unremarkable character regarding smoke and terpine quality of The White. I guess I was mesmerized by all that glossy trichomes on the buds! And I can get clones of it here.

The White is a single clone. It's famous for being very pretty and trichrome-heavy, the glands just stack and stack and stack, hence the name. I ran The White years back, and it's wholly unremarkable and entirely(!!) without character as smoke. As a breeding tool I understand it's been pretty popular as it tends to pass on its gland stacking, but otherwise as far as quality smoke goes, I'd call it a hard pass. [3.5/10-avoid]

-Doc

That Deep Purple I grew from a Clone I bought must have leaned hard that way (or I let it go too long, first try at growing so anything possible lol) as it will knock your behind out. I just knew it was a cross between the Purple Urkle and Querkle, but I hadn't ever had either of those strains before so knowing the genetics doesn't hath much meaning ;) least in any practical terms :rofl:

Not sure about all the other strains. Real Purple Urkle is a bitch to grow. Main reason it became so high priced. They have freaky leaves take a long time in veg A just can't produce enough to make it worth will. TGA's Strains tend to be exactly what they claim so the Deep Purple sounds interesting. BCBD Purps is another strain to consider They did a great job of bringing Mendo Purps indoors

A friend in Europe recommended that I grow Purple Urkle because I like the grape terpine in GDP. But I have heard that it 1) is a bitch to size up and 2) it is prone to couch locking results. Maybe I will try an early cut of Mendo Purps. I grow mainly outdoors here.

I almost got a pack of deep purple beans recently. I wish I would have got them

It was my first grow ever, so didn't get a lot as put them both into shock and all that good stuff that newbies goof up on ;), that and a cabinet grow so doubt I ever get huge numbers anyway lol. Think I had 14 g off the Deep Purple and 20 off the Dairy Queen (Romulan/Cheese/Cindy99 cross). Deep Purple on the right, DQ on left:
0032884.JPG

Deep Purple flower:
0013099.JPG

Those were both Clones I bought at the Dispensary, have both in seed now that I bought online. That and bought a DQ Clone again that is currently going.

It was my first grow ever, so didn't get a lot as put them both into shock and all that good stuff that newbies goof up on ;), that and a cabinet grow so doubt I ever get huge numbers anyway lol. Think I had 14 g off the Deep Purple and 20 off the Dairy Queen (Romulan/Cheese/Cindy99 cross). Deep Purple on the right, DQ on left:
0032884.JPG

Deep Purple flower:
0013099.JPG

Those were both Clones I bought at the Dispensary, have both in seed now that I bought online. That and bought a DQ Clone again that is currently going.
I would have guessed it prudced more weight looking at the pic. How was the smoke?

I would have guessed it prudced more weight looking at the pic. How was the smoke?

The Deep Purple is a nighttime one for sure, knocks you out (or everyone that tried it said that, friend of my Son had a couple hits and a Red Bull as he needed to study, said he woke up in a puddle of sweat later from all the caffeine in Energy Drink :rofl: ). The Dairy Queen has more of a Sativa "up/energy" high. Overall happy with result as least I got something out of it, time will tell how much I learned (though seem to be making improvements/learning).
Dried/Cured buds:
rsz_00124.jpg
0042703.JPG

Growing some Purple Urkle right now from ApeOrigin. I bought some from a dispensary before it was shut down after Canada legalized it (go figure) Anyways I love the couch lock effects from the strain. My tolerance Is pretty high right now and need something every now and then to sit my ass down for the count. heres my girl at Day 40 today into flowering and the 2nd/3rd pic were taken on Day 36. Cold water really brings out the purple in her

1F1D47EA-1F06-4781-8B4D-9191C7E5D412.jpeg
ADCE43B6-8C9D-4471-868F-1132AF57F369.jpeg
5252ED5C-C832-45F0-A8EB-01E83F195370.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom