Summertime Blues

reyrey627

Aloha, All my growing has been with regular seeds and outdoors Hawaiian. Growing up in Hawaii I remember we we grew the old Hawaiian Strains which was Sativas. We planted them in the summer and these plants grew into the next year. They grew Over 6 months, 7-8-9 months. Summer was massive vegetative cycle. Always topping to keep them from being 10foot plus. We end up with a massive wide Bush that yielded over a pound. Multiple harvest because that's how these plants grew. Always new growth while the old growth was maturing. Then some California growers enlightened me and I got some seeds. Was Northern Lights and Blue Berry. No doubt I knew these are the strains we want to grow. And aloha oi to the old strains. Meaning goodbye. These hybrids did not produce a pound, but it's about quality not quantity. But they also.was way faster and matured and harvest as a whole plant. Was about 4 months give or take a week or two. Because I started them in September and continued growing them till May. So Bra no hurry no panic because the frost is not coming, go ahead and plant your seeds in the fall.. The product was da best. Bigger, more potent and definitely tastier than its sisters grown indoors. Also its sisters that was grown outdoors in California was not in the same league. The mainland growers was in awe. They could not believe it was the same strains they was growing. But it was because they told me where to get them and the 2 strains to order. Friends I am not trying to Bragg I am just stating fact and my experiences. Now I am 6 weeks into my first grow in years and the seedlings are little plants now and starting to flower. Hawaiian outdoors the plants that start in the fall are bigger than the plants that you start in the winter because of the more intense sun and longer veg cycle, but that's ok because they all going be high quality. Now we getting a full day with about 7 hours of direct Sun light and its warm over here. You can burn and tan now. But as far as growing canabis, I am simple. I treat the plants like I would any other plant. Like my vegetables, mango trees and house plants. The marijuana grows like all the weeds a vegetables. Organic with the natural fertilizers available here. Seaweed l, fish guts, crab shells ec t, we have plenty no need buy. But as far as strains and knowledge and types of seeds, I don't know, so many these days. My plan is to grow all year long thru the summer and next winter. My question is what will happen if I plant quality hybrids in the spring and summer. Will they flower and Harvest in its normal time period? Or will they be in massive veg like the old Hawaiian Sativas. I tell you I never want to grow a plant for 9 months like the old days ok. So save the hybrids for late in the summer and fall months? And Automatics, are these the guys in need to grow in the spring and summer? I never grew an auto and have no experience with them. Except about 15 yrs ago I seen a lowrider auto and it was harvested from seed in 2 months, wow. But unimpressive because I don't want a strain that takes 4 plants to make one Oz. It should be the other way around isn't that right friends. And the quality was not comparable to a normal strain. But that was long time ago and I know these breeders been working hard. I hope to hear from you growers out their. Aloha and Mahalo. Rey

You are close to equator, man! So you can grow them all year round cause you're shortest day is around 10,5 hrs of daylight while longest around 13,5. Sativas you're talking about (would like to know the genetics) are probably well suited to your climate and that's why they veg for so long and you get multiple harvests, while hybrids you're talking about were developed much further north so cultivated in your latitude they'll go into flowering quicker having much less difference between day and night. I love landrace sativas actually, and they grow very well in my climate. I never bothered with autos though for the reasons you mentioned, this is right genetics if you grow them in the closet, but not in the great outdoors. My advice would be to start breeding any hybrids you import into your local varieties to get them better suited for your type of climate or pick these that were developed in a latitude not far from yours :Namaste:

Hi Rey, autos and hybrids are great because of the variety of growth and effects resulting from combining parents with certain strength and quality. One question though, how much humidity do you have year round? If it's on the plus side,you should look at mold resistant breeds. I live in New England and only grew once outside before I invested in a tent. I have had four indoor grows since (short summers @ security).i would also check out Seedfinder.com.
Anyway best of luck!

Aloha conradino23 and Eugenie1, thanks for responding. The humidity now is not so high. High humidity will happen in late summer and fall. I am almost 7 weeks into my grow and I do have 3 autos. They are budding out and looks like they will be some kind of dwarf plant maybe 1 oz per plant. I have some hybrids and they are getting big in the veg. These type I am experience in growing. They will grow about 3more weeks and start to flower. My home made fish fertilizer seems to do it because the plants are healthy and green. Some Aurora indicates, AK 48, White Widow and Blue Berry. These plants should produce a few oz per plant, maybe 4 to 5 depending when they start budding. I definitely planning on getting a Minnie led light. I will use this for seedlings because I like how fat the seedlings get, and a possible mother plants for cloning. Mother plants will be grown outdoors then brought inside for a additional 2 to 4 hours of light. The light has to only make the plant react because all its growing will be done by sunlight. This will keep the plant in the veg state. I have some nice females for these honors. Well as far as the 3 autos autos I am growing. A cash crop and 2 dieselmatics. They are on the small side compared to the hybrids. I am looking for vigorous growing better yielding autos. I am planning to get some for my summer months. Also will grow hybrids also a see what happens. Hopefully they bud in about 4 months. Planning to get these autos from short stuff and sweet seeds. Maybe in the summer with all that Hawaiian sunshine I may get some size out of them. But come August September I will plant the load. All kinds of regular seeds and feminized hybrids. By October December, harvesting be nice and yields very good and we keep it going to spring. Anybody knows of some no joke auto strains I should grow? Let me know. Aloha. Rey

Don't really grow autos not my thing but I hear good words about Dark Devil Auto.

Eugine 1 I live on the leeward side of the Hawaiian Islands. South and west side. This means we get less rain, plenty Sun and the sunset. Mold is not common on leeward side because it's hot and dry. East and north shores are windward. Tropical climate and sun rise. Lots more rain and cloud cover and jungle, but can definitely grow well windward side also. We have vegetation that's found only on windward side and same for leeward side. Slightly different climates. For best results always make sure plants are getting 6 hours or more of direct sunlight and we get plenty.

Back
Top Bottom