First time cloning

Hobopr0

so i clipped some and thought i use these as clones. i started just in a plastic cup and about a week or so later saw some root growth and got pretty excited so i threw it in some soil and lights a couple days ago. checked on it today and it seems to be dying. some of the leaves started to wilt and doesnt seem to be pulling through. what do u guys think it could be so i dont make the same mistake. already have some more going since i did some landscaping..\

will post pic when i can. thx!

Only two things I can think of without seeing it. Distance of light and was the soil moist ? I know that's not very detailed but working with you have given me. I'm assuming you've covered all the basics, such as temperatures and etc.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

20160128_131248.jpg

soil is moist (no nutes) and i had the light (cfl) right on top of it. i have some more clippings in some water now after i did some minor lollipopping so i have plenty more to try out. lemme know what u think...thx

I definitely wouldn't write it off yet, based on the pic. Hard to say for sure, but it may be too wet. The most common issue killing young plants and clones is overwatering. That soil should just be very lightly moist. Basically as dry as it can be and still be called moist. Wet medium is a killer. The other important thing is to keep it warm, like a bit warmer than room temp, preferably with some heat from below as otherwise sometimes the base of the pot gets chilly. Cool temps, combined with wet soil, and nothing will live. I like to put my cloning setup above my veg area as the veg light heats it from underneath and, in my case, it stays at a good temperature.

2/8 update...just spraying water on it. so stoked because this was done using only tap water and no cloning gel/solution. AND i need to begin working on my 2nd grow so i can get my perpetual grow on u knowwww!

hey it was one of MANY cuttings but for some reason this one worked out! should i start training this one now so it doesnt grow into a mess like i have currently??

now wait to my next post where im asking for help to see if any of my next batch can be revived cause i left it next to the heater by mistake while watching the Super Bowl...hehe

20160208_221332.jpg
20160208_221430.jpg

It's partly a matter of choice, and how low to the ground you are trying to train it. Myself I'd wait till it was about double the current height at least, and has some faster growth happening, before doing any topping.
However, I see you have a couple nice side branches down lower. If you want three tops to start with, before doing any topping, all you need to do is tie the plant down a bit in the direction it's currently leaning. Those side branches will shoot up a bit and after a while you'll have three tops at the same level.

It's partly a matter of choice, and how low to the ground you are trying to train it. Myself I'd wait till it was about double the current height at least, and has some faster growth happening, before doing any topping.
However, I see you have a couple nice side branches down lower. If you want three tops to start with, before doing any topping, all you need to do is tie the plant down a bit in the direction it's currently leaning. Those side branches will shoot up a bit and after a while you'll have three tops at the same level.

did a tape down today...will continue to do so!

20160217_004048.jpg
20160217_003920.jpg

Glad to hear your success without Gel...
Cloning turns out to be very simple.
Picking what works best for you by trial and error.
One of my latest clones has been growing super fast.
Two weeks for good roots.
and I transplanted it , waiting to plant it outdoors soon.
It's outgrowing the container in under 4 weeks.
I like to clone in a Bubbler... You can see the roots , and when to pot
PS A Dome is best for the first three days , and misting

Tomato_18_.JPG

;
Tomato_33_.JPG

thanks fellas!...here's the update as of today.

20160320_091050.jpg

momma is going crazy...2nd dose of fox farm nutes added yesterday. have done some minor lst but they are literally breaking out of the tape job i did.

20160320_091124.jpg
20160320_091121.jpg
20160320_091105.jpg
20160320_091144.jpg

babies shot up after the nutes also....look at the little straggler coming along! it was literally just a stick with some roots....sweet!

20160320_091157.jpg

Family portrait

It's nice to look back on pictures with "dates" in them...
It's hard to tell growth rate without it
or should I say easier with it.
I use it as a logging tool when I look back.

Hay GP,, Why is this missing from the above post??......

Today, 11:54 AM
Thread: First time cloning
by Ghost Post Replies
Views
Re: First time cloning
It's nice to look back on pictures with "dates" in them...
It's hard to tell growth rate without it
or should I say easier with it.
I use it as a logging tool when I look back.

It's not missing...
I just looked , it's there if you know how to read it.
hence , ghost post
It's only there for people who WANT to read it...
Easy for others to skip over.

Back
Top Bottom