Growing for seeds - Ended up with some primo buds and 400 seeds

JBUptown

About a year ago, 420Magazine threads and posts led me to dedicating two grow cycles with the goal of producing stable seeds. I am hardly a geneticist nor a botanist, but after reading and more reading about Cannabis genetics, hybrids, vigor, genes and dozens of other articles, I finally picked the strain that I wanted for seed production. I'm not a breeder, I'm just another Joe growing his own MM. Plants have reproduced without my hand in the mix for millions of years, so it couldn't be too difficult to let them do their thing in a controlled environment. It is their ultimate goal every day!

Finding a righteous and stable Mom is paramount, and after considering the individual values of a dozen or so flowering Mommies, I finally decided to take clones from a choice #1 OG Kush. After re-vegging the Mom, I took 8 clones, and placed them in Veg for 10 weeks. The Lil Mommies were then moved to the flower room and placed in 12/12 for 60 days. The two best Lil Mommy clones were chosen for breeding, and the rest were harvested and frozen for alternate use. The pistils and calyxes were extremely abundant on the 2 Lil Moms, and exhibited nearly identical traits. Their buds started to swell at 60 days and it looked like they had a few weeks left before their maturity would start to decline. Time to pollinate!

Pollen ... what to choose for Dads contribution? During the time while the four Mom clones were placed into 12/12, I started about a ten seeds obtained from a respected seed bank of the strain Afgani, Original Landrace, an Indica. Of the 10 seeds, 9 sprouted, 8 survived through 6 weeks of veg. Early sexing indicated 2 females and 6 males, and after the flip to 12/12 the choicest male was retained. I planted way too many Afgani seeds to get one male, my bad. The Dad was then sent to his own little place to grow and make pollen, and make pollen he did, much much pollen. I collected over 10 grams of pure yellow pollen, hopefully the storage method recommended to me works well, but growing fresh pollen is easy enough.

Pollination time!
It was finally time for the plants to get it on, damn that was a lot of foreplay. OK, all white pistils were painted with pollen using a small watercolor brush, and lots of attention to coverage. Two weeks later all pistils turned from white to red and brown, the seeds were growing. At 6 weeks after pollination, the seeds were matured and pods were splitting open, time to harvest and dry! After curing for a month, I decided to try some of the bud in a vaporizer. Whoa! Primo stuff! I don't think anything I've ever grown was any better. Hopefully the seeds will be stable and reflect their heritage! I yielded about 400 viable seeds from this experiment, I hope they are all awesome, but will be happy if even half are good.

IMG_067037.JPG

Best Of Buds

JB

:Namaste:

Well, what a project JB. Let's see what they have to offer you. Reps on the process so far.

Very cool project. Takes some cajones to mess around with breeding. Seed prices the way they are, I can see the allure. It would be nice to have some pollen stored away for selective breeding. Are you freezing the pollen?

Hi JuanCarlos,

Yes, I am trying both refrigeration and freezing of the pollen, but from what I have read it's viability can be greatly decreased over time. After reading several different thoughts and methods for storing pollen (I'm a noob with this process regarding MJ), and went with a triple sealed dark container for humidity control. I really hope it retains it's potency and is stable, but growing a male plant is not very difficult. I was extremely careful about not letting the pollen escape and free float in the air, I didn't want to accidentally allow future females to become fertilized. The only downside was giving up my entire and only flowering space for a few months, she had to be alone, but over half the space was unoccupied during the cycle.

Thanks for the comment and reps
Best Of Buds
JB

:Namaste:

Indeed, giving up the tent to grow a male would be tough. Have to have a nice reserve to do that. One could always guerilla grow a male somewhere outdoors. That sounds like a plan to me. I hope you find the pollen remains viable. I have done a small amount of reading about the subject.

Another picture of seed popping Mommy ... the colas were packed with seeds and were almost white with goodness! I always set my camera to April 20 whenever I use it. It's an old and dedicated to the purpose.
IMG_067633.JPG

To save space on having to grow a male, you can clone your choice female twice...one clone you treat with colloidal silver every day for a couple of weeks and it will revert to male but carry only female traits. Use this cloned now male to pollinate your other clone and you can keep the original mommy and harvest sensi buds! Produces all female seeds!

Congrats on all the beans! I am hoping to do the same one day with some Afghani stock and an OG kush.

Back
Top Bottom