When to start new clones

Bobby Blunt

I have clone's and bag seed females flowering in the same tent, the clones are in mixed flowering stage, some look to be two wks from flush, others maybe 4wks to flush but the bag seed are defiantly sativa's and have been flowering at least for 11wks and I know are not ready, pistils are very white and standing erect, I know this is a family forum, so you know what I mean, there pointing straight up, I know when their close the pistils are starting to turn brown and shrink and the trichomes mostly all/all turned cloudy. Some let them go until at least 5% of the cloudy trichomes turn amber. My Question is when should you take clones from the mother and plug them to take root, so they can go into the grow tent just as the last clones are coming out for drying.

Most folks take them while in Veg as a higher success rate that way from what I have read and what little experience I have had with it. Mid way thru Flower the plants quit putting energy into the roots (growing) so your cuttings are of the same mindset, so slows things up a bit while it is switching back to Veg mode. Just like it is possible to go back to Veg while in Flower it just increases odds of stressing plant out and higher odds of it going Hermie, but that just based on what I have read as I thought about switching plant back to Veg when I was sexing a Clone and changed my mind and just ran it thru Flower the whole way instead.

Not sure I understand this question. You have mother plants in veg? Or do you mean to take cuttings from the flowering ones? As the monk said, it gets progressively harder and harder and slower to root cuttings from a flowering plant, the further along in flowering they are.
Late in flowering you'd probably have better luck trying to reveg. You can try cuttings as well of course if you want.

If you're talking about using a mother plant as you mentioned- mothers are kept in veg. For my perpetual grow I take cuttings for a strain at the time it goes into the flowering room. By the time it's done flowering the cuttings will be big enough to flower- repeat.

I have tried it both ways and when trying to clone in the flowing stage they did not do well and 4 out of 5 died. I normally take clones from a plant in the vegetative stage that I want to keep flowering and make it a mother plant.

I now have three different strains of mother plants I take clones from and it works out well. I know it takes time to grow the mother plant to take multiple clones from but it is worth the wait. When the mother starts getting older you flower the mother and then start another from one of your clones. There is no waiting then because you have already started another mother plant from your clone and everything works out great. Try that and you will always have fresh clones and mother plants, and when you flower the mother plants the buds are great because the plant is so large and mature to start with.

Back
Top Bottom