Haze - A Primer

DoctorGonzo

Aka: O Haze; Haze Brothers Original Haze

Haze-Lineage

Haze Brothers -> Sam the Skunkman (Cultivators Choice) -> Wernard (Positronics); Neville (The Seed Bank); Eddie Reedeker (Flying Dutchmen)

Sam the Skunkman, who was the breeder of the first commercial available "Original Haze" out of the Haze-Brothers genetics, on Haze:

"The main Haze Brother, R was gone, retired in Mexico by 82 he did not come back for 10 years. He was the one that created O Haze. The second Haze Brother J quit growing O Haze about 1980 and only grew Skunk #1 after that... and anyway recently he told me he did not sell any Haze seeds to anyone else, ever. The Haze Bros had a falling out in the late 70's and stopped talking to one another, for certain they did not sell seeds as the Haze Bros to anyone. Both the Haze Bros were close friends of mine and both were close neighbours for years, J lived a few hundred meters from my house until he departed to Mexico."

More History Of Haze

In 1988 Neville introduced the first Haze to Holland. The 'Haze x NorthernLights F1-Hybrid' had it's origins in the United States, where the 'Haze Brothers had been growing the Sativa plants since the 70's. The price in 'The Seed Bank' catalogue was then $100 for 10 seeds. It nearly became extinct beginning of the 80's because growers were looking for easier varieties. The Haze brothers eventually retired, but first made a trip to the Netherlands, where they met with Neville, a breeder whos name has often been associated with the Haze and its hybrids even before he was 'the king'. Neville acquired Haze seeds from them, preserving the strain and using it for many crosses. Haze requires proffesional care and alot of patience because of its long season.. but it has been very good for hybridization. Today, the Haze variety is found in many crosses that are available, and is a favourite to many 'Sativa Connoisseurs'

The first Haze is vintage masterpiece of cannabis breeding - a harmonious blend of complementary equatorial genotypes that's widely regarded as the purest and most powerful Sativa ever created.

Haze started out as a multiple-Sativa hybrid with roots in Central America, South India and Thailand. Developed in the days before indoor growing and cultivated below 30°N, her breeders were not restricted by factors like height, yield or short summers. As indoor growing gained popularity in the Eighties, true Haze began to disappear. Though smokers still adored the soaring high, growers found her slow flowering, low yields and unstoppable height-gain impractical for indoor production.

Indoor-Specific Haze, aka (Super) Silver Haze
Silver Haze was the first seed strain to offer a solution by delivering the full-strength Haze experience in a fatter, faster, more compact form. Together with NL#5xHaze (her taller sister), Silver Haze helped reverse the decline of the psychedelic Sativa. As soon as such frosted, pleasingly dense tropical crops could be produced efficiently with lights, ganja lovers all across the globe were able to sample that supreme high and the Haze cult rapidly spread far beyond its original circle of devotees.

The original Haze has had both its outrageous height gain and interminable flowering period brought under control by breeding with an extra-potent, non-dominant individual from the Northern Lights line to make (Super) Silver Haze. The dark Afghanica also throws its weight behind the feathery Sativa budding pattern, adding bulk without affecting flower formation.
Silver Haze buds are composed of long, silky pistils sprouting from oval calyxes which surge along the stem and branches to fill the gaps between internodes. Afghani influence is seen in the strain's thick layers of silver resin glands and the way her calyxes swell, adding density in the final weeks of flowering.

- Doc

Okay. In the first post, there's a general primer on the history of Haze. Now, a bit more.
Land race, equatorial sativas, are notorious for not working under HID lighting. "Not working" refers to not finishing properly, and also having a strong tendency to reverse sex. However, sativas have a kickass psychedelic high and most who have smoked them, fall in love with them.
I've seen hundreds of seed varieties labeled "Haze" recently, that as far as I can see, contain little to no haze genetics. It's almost become a generic term, like "Kush" is now-watered down by profiteering shitweasels to cash in on a name they know little to nothing about. Obviously, I disagree very strongly with how the name is being tossed around. Haze is fucking incredible marijuana, and if you choose your source for genetics wisely, you'll be growing some of the strongest, finest sativa in the known world.

HAZE: A Primer

Grower's Note: Authentic Hazes should not be grown under any less than 1000W of HID HPS lighting. If you're running smaller lights, stay away from Hazes for the best results.

[I'm going to add to this thread in bursts, until I run out of gas lol]

. Note on "Amnesia Haze"
There have never been legit Amnesia Haze seeds sold. The privately held Amnesia Haze clone (which was fucking incredible) was available in Amsterdam coffee shops for a couple of years, until it was lost in a police raid. The "Amnesia Haze" currently being sold, is "Amnesia" in name only, and from pics I've seen, doesn't have much or any Haze genes.

Interesting tread. I agree about the Haze moniker. Now more and more if a strain has some sativa in it it's a Haze. I'm growing longer maturing strains now. When I started growing the faster the better for me. Shorter finish times made it easier to keep the plant healthy. I'm up to 10 weeks with no major problems. The Malawi is going to take at least 12 weeks and still looking good.
I would love to be able to run some 14 week haze strains in time. Tell then I will stick with the shorter 9 to 10 mostly sativas. DNA Cantaloupe Haze is the best Haze I have grown to date.

Interesting tread. I agree about the Haze moniker. Now more and more if a strain has some sativa in it it's a Haze. I'm growing longer maturing strains now. When I started growing the faster the better for me. Shorter finish times made it easier to keep the plant healthy. I'm up to 10 weeks with no major problems. The Malawi is going to take at least 12 weeks and still looking good.
I would love to be able to run some 14 week haze strains in time. Tell then I will stick with the shorter 9 to 10 mostly sativas. DNA Cantaloupe Haze is the best Haze I have grown to date.

Lots of seeds are labeled "Haze" but in the vast majority I've seen in the past few years the haze seems somewhere between pretty watered down & nonexistent. If you ever do grow a real Haze make sure you run 1kwHPS, anything else will get you less than optimal results.

Super Silver Haze is Skunk/NL x Haze.
Neville's Haze is NL5/Haze x Haze.

Haze is a specific cultivar. Tropical sativas are not "Hazes." If you're not seeing THIN sativas leaves then the likelihood of Haze being prominent in the mix is extremely thin. Haze favors what most would consider a "Thai" profile: Thin, sharp leaves, tall and stretchy, and fairly loose flowers, a finish of over 70 days (SSH) and a smell that closely resembles "new car leather."
Haze recombines well, it's best used in conjunction with landrace indicas like Kush and Afghanis which will beget homogeneous offspring characteristic of an F1 hybrid.

Not sure of the genetic make up but Cantaloupe Haze from DNA has the classic Haze smell and taste.
grow_1_078.JPG

Back
Top Bottom