First time cloning indoors

Gree N

Need some advice please, I took some clones 11 days ago now, I removed them from the humidity dome some 2 days ago and it's looking like I've got 3 maybe 4 out six that has survived. So now they are for 24 hrs without foliage feeding and I can see new leave growth so I can assume they have rooted? What's the process now if I want too put them into soil? Should I trim the old foliage off and bury the stem as far as I can??? Shall I just put the whole cube into soil or attempt to remove it from the Rockwool?

Your the man Weaselcracker.

Thanks Weasel, once I have roots poking out then do I simply place it into a pot and can I bury the tall stem down to the first node?
I have been busy since I made this thread I've attempted a mini dwc setup which is in my journal now

You can bury it- but you don't need to. And basically- I think I you shouldn't.
It relates back to the #1 concern which is - overwatering. Overwatering will kill and/or stunt your plants more than any other thing you do to them.
Roots grow well when the medium is just barely moist. Never wet. Wet medium will kill your rooted clones, and prevent cuttings from rooting in the first place.
I would advise against burying the cubes deep because they're more likely to be wet down deeper. Also- roots like to travel down, not up. It's best to plant them near the top.

I see ( I think) that you're using a peatmoss mix. But this applies to soil as well. Premix your medium with a little water until it's moist. Squeeze a clump in your hand. It should ball up slightly from the pressure, then fall apart easily when you open your hand. If it forms clumps that don't fall apart again- it's too wet. If it doesn't form clumps at all- it's too dry.
Plant your rooted cuttings in the pre-moistened soil/whatever it is you're growing in.
I'd just plant the cubes near the surface. 1/4- 1/2" down, or at any rate less than an inch down. You shouldn't need to water for the first week or even two. When you do it will be just touchups around the edges.
Don't overwater(!)
And keep your cuttings and clones warm- around room temp. Cold temps also slow things right down and work together with slow evaporation/transpiration rates to enhance any overwatering problems.

Back
Top Bottom